What would it mean to you?

Hey there, thank you so much for bringing awareness about asexuality. 

I've lived in Australia, Singapore and Japan and based on previous experiences, like everywhere else, there is generally a very low awareness of asexuality, though the reactions when I tell people I'm asexual differ based on cultural norms in each country. In Australia, where societal norms are hypersexualised, saying you're asexual is pretty much an automatic ticket to being labelled weird or questions like "are you actually gay?" and the butt of a whole load of jokes, whereas for more sexually conservative Asian societies like Singapore and Japan, the conversation usually leads to "perhaps you haven't found the right one yet". No one seems to understand that it is possible not to feel sexual attraction though, and that romantic attraction and sexual attraction are not mutually exclusive, so it's wonderful that you're doing this.  Thank you. 

In terms of media platform of choice, I'm usually a sucker for instagram shorts that point to the full lengths on Youtube (a bit old for TikTok). They use twitter a lot in Japan, so it did generate a bit of buzz when NHK in Japan did a series recently on asexuality (all in Japanese though - https://www.nhk.jp/p/ts/VWNP71QQPV/) . 

• Like 2

congratulations @t_norrish on your project moving forward . i m usually on YouTube like many others here.  

• Like 3

@riisu Wow, thank you so much for your sharing your experience and insights 🙏 Sooo fascinating about the difference in responses across cultures... That's something really really interesting to chew on. Thank *you*! 

• Like 2

This seems to be the general consensus, but I also mostly watch my online videos through Youtube. Especially one of 8-10 minutes.Looking forward to seeing this one day! 

• Like 2
On 7/2/2022 at 2:50 PM, daveb said:

Just to help out; she posted it here: :D 

@TamiaFilms — just wanted to congratulate you on your short film 🙌 I finally got around to watching it today (waaay overdue, sorry), but congrats! *Goodness* knows we need to share our various experiences and stories and perspectives. Massive kudos. 

(And thanks, @daveb, for pointing me to it!)

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Hi all, happy Wednes-yay! 

Just thought I'd post a lil' update on our series considering how much you all contributed to and cheered for this 🙏

Unfortunately, our application for production funding was unsuccessful. The project apparently still seems too "risky" as there isn't yet precedent of a central ace story in commercial media. Which was the whole point of us making this damn thing, but anyway. 

That said, the team and I are determined to keep going and find an alternate route to financing production. We have the most bad-ass team, and we all feel that giving voice to this experience is one of the most important things we do in our creative lives. 

I'll let you know how we go, but a MA-HOO-SIVE thank you again for your insight and support. Y'all rock. 

And if anyone knows of any super wealthy aces or ace allies who might wanna be behind bringing an ace story to the screen, lemme know, haha! 😂

Muchos gracias, amigos! 

• Like 1

That's too bad your application wasn't successful, but not surprising. I'd expect there is lots of competition for funding and too many people who worry about "risk" (even in a creative industry).

Good luck in pursuing other avenues! :cake: 

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Hi again friends, happy weekend 🙌

A small win for us on the A-community representation front 🙏 As you can probably tell from the very ace title (😋), our project is the second listed from the top.

https://www.screenaustralia.gov.au/funding-and-support/online/funding-approvals/2022-2023-online-development-approvals

We're still a little off being approved to go into production, but it's a significant step in the right direction that Australia's national screen body has agreed to invest in a story speaking to the asexual experience. 

Thank you again to everyone here for your support and encouragement. I cannot *wait* for the day I can announce we've been fully funded and will have a series ready for you to finally laugh and cry with 🙏

• Like 2