What's the saddest movie you've ever seen?

StarryNightAllAlone

Other people have put better, realer answers here that I agree with wholeheartedly, but I'm going to make the humiliatingly true confession that the video that had the most immediate and devastating impact on my emotional state was the music video of Gotye's Somebody I Used to Know.

• Like 2

I remember crying for about an hour while watching "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story".

The story was great, for sure, but also so unbelievable sad... so yeah, this is the saddest film I have ever watched.

• Like 2

'Night Mother. 1986. Sissy Spacek and Anne Bancroft. Beautifully acted. Devastating. It haunts me to this day. One of the best movies I've ever seen.

Warning: suicide story line.

• Like 1
Phantasmal Fingers

On reflection, I would say the saddest ever has to be Shoah. 

21 hours ago, Brøøklyn said:

I remember crying for about an hour while watching "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story".

The story was great, for sure, but also so unbelievable sad... so yeah, this is the saddest film I have ever watched.

Rogue One gets so much hate and I don't know why 😭

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, natsume said:

Rogue One gets so much hate and I don't know why 😭

I thought it was one of the best Star Wars films since the original 3 movies (and some fan-made short films). I was sad because I wanted to see more adventures with those characters. Or at least more stuff along those lines.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, daveb said:

I thought it was one of the best Star Wars films since the original 3 movies (and some fan-made short films). I was sad because I wanted to see more adventures with those characters. Or at least more stuff along those lines.

It is a pretty good film, yea. They are doing a series based around Andor, which is hopefully good. More stories about side characters in the universe, please.

• Like 2

Inside Out - I just really felt very sad with the middle part when riley feels nothingness

The other two which really affected me emotionally while watching:

- after lucia

- the skin I live in

• Like 3

Marley and Me.  I cried so hard, and I almost never cry watching movies.

• Like 1
Luftschlosseule

Maybe not the saddest movie but definetly up there: Agora with Rachel Weisz.

• Like 1

I feel like there's something quite uniquely sad about In Bruges. The ending is bleak AF.

Phantasmal Fingers

Rewatched Les Enfants du Paradis last night. Sadness, melancholia, revenge and despair - all trying hard to overcome hope. The ending, of course, is famously ambiguous and impossible to satisfactorily resolve. 

Purple Red Panda
On 2/1/2022 at 11:43 PM, Jazz-per said:

Probably not a surprise to anyone who's seen other things I've posted but either Dead Poets Society or Patriots Day.

My parents took me to the cinema to see Dead Poets Society when it came out. I would have only have been about nine or 10 but vividly remember the profound emotional impact that Neil's suicide had on me.

Phantasmal Fingers

Some of the films listed here seem sentimental rather than sad. 

Not quite sure about what the saddest film I've ever seen is as I've seen a lot of sad ones, but the saddest game I've ever played and the only one to make me cry at the end was The Gardens Between.

And I don't usually cry at the ends of things. So yeah. Plus I think it counts seeing as games make more money than any other form of entertainment nowadays. 😛

"Bridge to Terabithia" is the first one that comes to mind, probably because I thought I was watching a feel good family movie and found myself sobbing in the end. 

• 1 month later...

Miracle in cell no.7, a Korean movie..i watched it a long time ago and i cried so hard, that was the first time i ever cried watching a movie. Also, when i rewatched it a few years after that, i cried again..

Lord of the Flies is pretty sad, and since I didn't say a movie last time, I'm going to have to nominate this one for my saddest movie ever watched.

• 5 months later...
Black Tourmaline
21 minutes ago, HelenMoller said:

The Notebook

never saw that one but many have recommended it

Black Tourmaline
4 hours ago, HelenMoller said:

mainstream and too overrated

there is so much stuff i don't look into because i just assume that everything that's popular sucks so i totes get you there!

Les Miserables (2012) made me WEEP.

It was awful and it was about 19 hours long and I actually paid money to see it. I had a lot of emotions and none of them were good!

OptimisticPessimist

There's others that are much more sad than this one, but it's the one i can no longer watch at all. Marley & Me, i can't watch it anymore. It makes me cry way too much. 

Alaska Native Manitou
  • Fail Safe (1964)
  • Barefoot Gen (1983); Barefoot Gen 2 (1986)
  • The Fog (1980)
  • Harmageddon (1983)
  • Prison for Children (1987)
  • The Magdalene Sisters (2002)
  • Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)

You're gonna get a list since I can't pick one. My memories are all kind of fuzzy since it's been a while, but here goes. (A bit of pondering first though) Sad and depressing are two different categories I think, but reading the thread title I started thinking of movies and then said, "Wait a minute, was I sad because the movie was sad, or was I said because the movie was depressing?" Here goes.

Children of Men, at least while being a movie all about despair, had a glimmer at the end.

Manchester By The Sea is one of the realest depictions of grief I have ever seen portrayed by a movie, and what's more soul crushing about its end is that there is a sliver of hope, but it's so small as to be unnoticeable.

Hostiles was pretty brutal, doubled by the fact by the end, the protagonists had changed only to be met with a crushing blow. It ended on neutral ground however.

The obligatory Schindlers List. I don't even need to say anything there.

The Green Mile. Again, no words needed.

The Road was absolutely despairing.

Arrival hit the viewer right at the end with a dump truck filled with more dump trucks.

Hotel Rwanda for certain, although it's been so long since I saw it.

Repo Men, I think. Why's a mid-tier sci-fi action film on here? Because it hit with a low blow gut punch right at the very end that changed everything about the movie.

• Like 2