What's the saddest movie you've ever seen?

StarryNightAllAlone

I cannot watch sad films. I especially cannot stand to watch lost animal movies which were so popular when I was a kid: Benji, Lassie Come Home, The Incredible Journey ... 

GoodVibesMostly

I don’t know if it’s the saddest movie I‘ve ever seen, but "Paddleton" (Netflix, 2019) pretty much broke my heart. It’s also one of the few movies that don’t involve romance (at least as far as I can remember) and instead centers around a true and loving friendship. 

imnotafreakofnature!

I know I'm showing my age, but movies like Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows require a full box of tissues. Each. Dead Poets Society was also a gut-twister, as was Sophie's Choice. And I still cry over E.T. (although it had a more positive ending). I  try to stay away from sad movies as a general rule, but will watch one every now and then.

One of the saddest films I first watched recently was Dead Man's Shoes. Very realistic British film whose main themes are drug use, disability and revenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I thought of a movie I saw that I think personally is the saddest one I ever saw, Lord of the Flies.

• 2 weeks later...
Guitarcase_Drifter

Edward Scissorhands. It just breaks my hear every time watching it, I can kinda relate to the main character and he reminds me of my beloved Michael Jackson; which makes the film a lot more heart-wrenching.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a movie, but a show. Castlevania is the first show in a *very* long time that made me feel feelings

On 2/1/2022 at 4:23 PM, StarryNightAllAlone said:

The saddest movie I've ever seen is Grave of the Fireflies. That movie was devastating.

I came here to say this.

Schindler's List was also devastating.

Possibly the most disturbing thing about Grave of the Fireflies is that the short story on which it's based is semi-autobiographical—the fate of the girl in the film is pretty much the same as that of the author's actual little sister.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Okja. I didn't like the movie. Not because it was poorly made, but because I didn't like the way it made me feel.

Of course like most people, Grave of the Fireflies made me cry a lot. But another one I cried a lot at was The Fault in our Stars.

• Like 1