What's the saddest movie you've ever seen?

StarryNightAllAlone

StarryNightAllAlone

The saddest movie I've ever seen is Grave of the Fireflies. That movie was devastating.

• Like 12
Purple Red Panda

I'm not sure if it's the saddest movie I've ever seen but The Fly (1986) has made me cry on numerous occasions, it's such a tragic film about love and terminal illness but with the added bonus of a teleporter accident and sickening body horror.

• Like 1
Fraggle Underdark
20 minutes ago, StarryNightAllAlone said:

The saddest movie I've ever seen is Grave of the Fireflies. That movie was devastating.

I saw the thread title and came in here to say the exact same thing. Oh my god that movie.

• Like 3

Hmm...I don't feel I can only choose one because there isn't only one that's stood out as more sad than others. I felt "Parasite" was sad. War movies caused me to feel sad, cry, and physically ill, as a teen, when I was forced to watch them by my teachers, for tests, grades, etc. on them, for middle and high school history classes.

I guess, due to personal family history, trauma, etc., I could choose "Schindler's List." My middle and high school history teachers felt that movie and other war movies were great stories, but it wasn't fun and isn't great, exciting, etc. for me to see people being murdered, abused, etc., misteated in the exact same way or similar ways as me and my ancestors.

• Like 3
Phantasmal Fingers

I watched The Divided Heart (1954) last night. I'd seen it before, but well over 40 years ago. 

"Manchester by the Sea" was quite depressing to watch. Probably not the saddest movie I've ever seen but it's the first one that pops to my mind. It's a great movie but better don't watch it if you are in a bad mood.

• Like 1

I suppose my saddest movie would be brief encounter from 1945 staring Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard. But bambi is really sad to me too especially when bambis mother gets killed by man.

I'm with StarryNightAllAlone on this one. You didn't get a happy ending with that movie. For me there's also Forrest Gump. Though Forrest Gump ended on a relatively calm and happy note, I cried so much during that. Because it related so much to the situation I was dealing with at the time. 

• Like 3

I think for me it was "I, Daniel Blake". It felt a little too real and I cried buckets.

"The Green Mile" is high on the list also!

• Like 3

Grave of the fireflies killed my soul… I watched it at my house and then hesitantly saw it in theatre with my friends years later. 

• Like 4
Purple Red Panda

Possibly not so much sad but more a study of despair and utter spiritual disintegration, I rather liked it

*edit*

I kind of have to include this song from it 😀

Blue eyes white dragon

For me personally it would be Brave

• Like 1

I don't cry easily at movies and most sad movies usually make me ache inside all day. But one of the saddest ones for me is Train to Busan. I know it's a zombie movie, but when things start falling apart in the third and final act, I'm filled with anguish. I can't watch that movie without crying.

• Like 2

I think BlackkKlansman is the only movie I know of that can consistently make me cry at the end, although people have different emotional reactions to the ending. 

Oh, so many. I love soul crushing films. Some others have mentioned; I'd add:

Dancer in the Dark

Requiem For a Dream

Hotel Rwanda

The Deer Hunter

Blow

The House of Sand and Fog

Black Swan

Boys Don't Cry

The Machinist

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Doomed21 said:

I think BlackkKlansman is the only movie I know of that can consistently make me cry at the end, although people have different emotional reactions to the ending. 

The ending is chilling, for sure.

Goodbye children is one very sad movie. It is autobiographical too. I saw it as a child and I still remember it. But yeah, Grave of the fireflies is an obvious choice as well.

• Like 1
Oberon Jasper

Probably not a surprise to anyone who's seen other things I've posted but either Dead Poets Society or Patriots Day.

Sister Mercurial

Don't know as I tend to cry easily at movies anyway, but I cried absolute buckets recently over The Electrical Life of Louis Wain.  

• Like 1

Grave of the fireflies had me crying very early in the morning for quite a few minutes, hachi, red dog (the 2011 one), a silent voice, train to busan, Marley and me, the host, along with the gods (both movies made me crying at some point), hotel rwanda, and the danish girl

Itd be hard for me to choose a saddest movie since im bad at making choices most of the time plus they all made me pretty sad enough to cry at some point

Also titanic but not the part with jack, it was actually the mother tucking in her kids and the musicians who kept playing that made me cry during that movie

• Like 4
Oberon Jasper
4 minutes ago, Kurokuma said:

Grave of the fireflies

I forgot about this one. I went into it with no context at like 9 in the morning one day. Horrible decision, wonderful movie.

• Like 2
a little annihilation

movies I've cried from at various stages (and emotional states lmao) of my life:

- braveheart (I was like 13)

- inside out (12- 14?)

- finding dory (I don't remember but maybe like between 7 and 11?)

- idk remember if I cried but The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland really fucked me up and a like 3 or 4 year old. It didn't help that my blankets were currently being washed when I saw it.

- the brave little toaster (again because of the blanket, I was like between 7 and 9)

- the 1993 Heidi (mostly just the beginning and I was 3)

The saddest movie I've ever seen is LITERALLY ANY CHRiSTIAN MOVIE

fucking hell those movies are so fucking horrible and dark. 

miracle of the cards creeped me out although surprisingly the main character actually survives

I mention that one specifically because looking back that's kind of an ironic name for a christian movie.

• Like 1
KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty

This is why I've never watched Grave of the Fireflies, nor never want to.

I'm going to go for a pretty obscure movie here, and say Dear Frankie. It's not sad in the tragic sense, it's sad in the emotional sense. At least, for me, it is. 

• Like 2

Grave of the Fireflies is up there.  Also, Life is Beautiful and Pan's Labyrinth

• Like 2
justbellaforshort
12 hours ago, Jazz-per said:

Probably not a surprise to anyone who's seen other things I've posted but either Dead Poets Society or Patriots Day.

Ugh, Dead Poets Society is such a good one. I forgot his name but certainly the side-plot surrounding the gay boy was heartbreaking.

• Like 2

Some that immediately come to mind:

Pooh's Grand Adventure - The Search for Christopher Robin (especially that part where Pooh is trapped in the bottom of the 'hole' with slippery walls, but also in general, super melancholic)

The Imitation Game (I don't know if biographical ones count but if so, the story of Alan Turing for sure)

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (favourite Ghibli movie and just... very melancholic)

• Like 2

This movie is the perfect example of how human beings can go to any lengths, including use military power and technology to control, exploit and destroy weaker groups, to forcefully take resources. 

The saddest moment of this movie to me was when the humans destroyed Hometree to forcefully evict the Omaticaya and access resources below the area. Many Omaticaya died from this situation, and the rest that survived had to flea their own home due to the greed and violence of these humans beings.

• Like 1

The only movie I have cried to is The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies which, I know, sounds ridiculous. although the saddest movie I think I've seen is The Mist.

I cry very easily at movies (and other things, even some tv adverts). I can't think of particular sad movies though. Maybe some scenes, from movies like Toy Story (or some of the sequels), or the stuff from Up that @blunose2772 mentioned.

• Like 3