How do you use they/them in Spanish

TheSmolFoxWeeb

TheSmolFoxWeeb

I’m taking Spanish and am getting increasingly annoyed that I have to choose between she/her and he/him pronouns. Is there a gender neutral option?

9 minutes ago, TheAroAceWeeb said:

I’m taking Spanish and am getting increasingly annoyed that I have to choose between she/her and he/him pronouns. Is there a gender neutral option?

Generally if you plug “e” in generally gendered language you can have your gender neutral  variant of that.

In example: “ella” is for “hers” in many contexts, you can do “elle” to then have a form of “they”

But you can use any “-o” and it can be seen as neutral. 

-🌌

Yeah, 'elle' seems to have caught on most. And then adjectives end in 'e' instead of 'a' or 'o'. So it's not only pronouns, other words are gendered as well.

So, for example, Elsa starts every video with 'bienvenides' instead of 'bienvenidos', because Spanish is also gendered when you talk to groups of people (defaulting to masculine unless it's all girls). Vosotres instead of vosotros or vosotras. It's a lotta words you gotta change. 

Spoiler

I don't. Just like in other languages, if there isn't a term for it, make it up. You have to explain it anyway what you mean.

Archived