Anyone watching the FANDOM platform burn itself to complete ashes? Tw for incest, queerphobia etc

Possum.Lover

For those who don’t know anything, FANDOM is a wiki platform that has you create fandom wikis for shows, comics, manga, games etc. however it can be used for informational or archive purposes, one notable example is the LGBTA wiki, an immensely large archive for queer labels and identities, the Ezgender (NOW named as “microlabel wiki”) is also a large archive area for queer people. FANDOM always had a lot of other wikis that are LGBT, some being doubles or others orientated to a certain part of the community, commonly those being inclusive and exclusive spaces.

FANDOM, instead of removing the wikis that had zero activity, decided to “merge” every single one, aka, delete these wikis and have a more “official one”. This in turn is mixing all the spaces into one even though they all disagree on something and have had drama before and told to “play nice” even then, the new wiki isn’t exempt from this batshittery, as they have had their own flaws.

As shown in these posts:

https://dalliancelust.tumblr.com/post/674404819355795456/twcw-incest-elsanna-ao3possible-cw-for

https://lgbtawiki.tumblr.com/post/673875728967811072/well-its-worse-now-what-the-hell-is-the

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nbv62d_AxOMaRwj_0ndHJSpQN24BsgjjkTnaGjZeCxI/edit

BUT for a TLDR we can provide us that:

TW for incest, queerphobia, anti native, anti intersex etc

Spoiler

The moderators have talked over and silenced native, xenic, intersex voices, when they directly called out the pages are either discriminatory, misinformed or applying information that’s unneeded and not even existent in the sources they link, are told their voice isn’t enough and that they “need a source to counter their own source”. It took constant shaking down and posts for moderators to slightly adjust the pages, but still continue to apply misinformation, one note of this was comparing transgender and genderfluid to two spirit, which was harmful as natives explained this comparison can remove the native ties two spirit has and  practically whitewash away the key parts to two spirit. The staff had to be told constantly by multiple natives this wasn’t okay before they removed it.

They have also dismissed harmful thigns users has done, such as invaliding trauma or misgendering. They either give no punishment, or give such a short ban they are back the next day.

Speaking of which, let’s talk about the staff there, one of them is a known incest fetishist, shipping commonly sisters in their “lesbian incest stories”, from Elsanna to Isabel, they call these ships “cute” natural” and “makes sense”. 

This staff member has directly asked people to make these stories aswell as writing an “incest relationship “forbidden love”” AU with Isabel, this is bad because Isabella is 21 and Mirabel is fucking 15 years old, not to mention they are sisters by blood, this staff member writes is as some “homophobic forbidden love story” and actively fetishize how it’s two sisters in this lesbian relationship.

A user confronted another staff member of this, the staff member not only admitted to being a friend of this other user for over 10 years, but actively defend this behavior, claiming it’s “not encouraging incest” and it’s “not hurting the wiki” when the LGBT community already gets piled with pedophilia, zoophilia and incest, having a staff member actively write and fetishize incest, and constantly geek about it while interacting with a queer forums with  other queer users, most being minors themselves

We’ve been keeping track of the whole thing and well, it sure is insane, what’s everyone else’s views on this? 

-🔫, 🌌, 🌸

For me it was already over when the forums got shut down. That was in combination with the cancelling of the option to browse the wikias by selecting "random page". That was when I left back then. But I wasn't aware of just how much worse it got.

2 minutes ago, Phalena said:

For me it was already over when the forums got shut down. That was in combination with the cancelling of the option to browse the wikias by selecting "random page". That was when I left back then. But I wasn't aware of just how much worse it got.

It’s really fuckin bad, these people are acting as if this is fine which is plain bullshit, doesn’t help FANDOM itself is giving the thumbs up to nearly everything

I used to use Fandom for my own Wiki for my created universe, had several thousand pages. Some trolls decided to start fucking it up, so I manually deleted the entire thing page by page. Now I have a private Wiki, and when it is ready I will have it so it is viewable but not editable by the public.

I am sure I have seen a fair few Fandom-based wikis saying they are moving to new platforms, but not 100% sure.

2 minutes ago, Sam M said:

I used to use Fandom for my own Wiki for my created universe, had several thousand pages. Some trolls decided to start fucking it up, so I manually deleted the entire thing page by page. Now I have a private Wiki, and when it is ready I will have it so it is viewable but not editable by the public.

I am sure I have seen a fair few Fandom-based wikis saying they are moving to new platforms, but not 100% sure.

Since the merge most wikis are moving to Mirahaze, since Mirahaze caters to its audience more than FANDOM, who’s seemingly doing this so they can profit and control the queer community 

-🔫

Seems they have managed to save their data, and are moving it to miraheze.

https://lgbta.fandom.com/wiki/LGBTA_Wiki

It's sad that they have to redo all of their hard work now, and it's sad that they'll have to wait until Google's algorithm picks up on the fact that this is now the number one site to recommend, instead of fandom.

I'm sole admin/bureaucrat of a small game wiki on fandom (terragenesis), so I know how much work it is to create an entire wiki, and of course theirs is much more extensive than mine.

I think this is a gross abuse of power by fandom, and I can't really imagine a reason for this beyond respectability politics and exclusionism of lesser known identities.

2 minutes ago, Rynn said:

Seems they have managed to save their data, and are moving it to miraheze.

https://lgbta.fandom.com/wiki/LGBTA_Wiki

It's sad that they have to redo all of their hard work now, and it's sad that they'll have to wait until Google's algorithm picks up on the fact that this is now the number one site to recommend, instead of fandom.

I'm sole admin/bureaucrat of a small game wiki on fandom (terragenesis), so I know how much work it is to create an entire wiki, and of course theirs is much more extensive than mine.

I think this is a gross abuse of power by fandom, and I can't really imagine a reason for this beyond respectability politics and exclusionism of lesser known identities.

Unfortunately, what’s even sadder is in-wiki coined terms from the discussions of the LGBTA wiki is going to be totally erased, some people have fortunately archived a few discussion threads but everything else is going to be deleted permanently.

Its all a very unfortunate situation for everyone.

-🌌

2 minutes ago, Possum.Lover said:

Unfortunately, what’s even sadder is in-wiki coined terms from the discussions of the LGBTA wiki is going to be totally erased, some people have fortunately archived a few discussion threads but everything else is going to be deleted permanently.

To me it doesn't look gone yet. It looks like there is still time. But I may be wrong?

5 minutes ago, Rynn said:

To me it doesn't look gone yet. It looks like there is still time. But I may be wrong?

We have until near the end of February to save everything basically, but the staff keep nudging very vague  dates so it’s possible it could be sooner

-🌌

There's a mantra you always have to remember when dealing with free Internet services:  If you're not the customer, you're the product.  Unless you're paying for something, whoever's offering the service can and will pull the rug out from under you in some way, sooner or later, in order to make money—maybe only after the service changes hands, but it's going to happen.  (It's possible that a host that is also a registered charity would be an exception, but fandom.com is not.)  And they will write their TOS in such a way that you have no recourse when they do it.

So I am vaguely disgusted by this, but not at all surprised.

Archived