Japanese tv show (drama) dealing with aromanticism and asexuality

Iliyasviel

Hi guys, I don't know if I'm posting at the right place so if it's not the case I apologize. I wanted to let you know, for those of you who might be interested, that there is a new drama who started airing last week about a woman and a man who are aro ace. To be honest I didn't expect much from it, but the first episode turned out pretty good, not disgustingly naive or condescending, providing actual information on the topic and exposure to a greater public. Here's the storyline: 

"About two people who are aromantic and asexual and begin living together.

Sakiko finds it difficult to live in a society which operates under the assumption that people will fall in love with each other. She meets supermarket employee Takahashi when she goes to support a "fall-in-love" campaign by her junior at work. She is startled when she hears him say that there are people who don't fall in love. As Sakiko's mother keeps hurrying her to get married, she decides to move out and rent an apartment with her friend but her friend backs out at the last minute after reconciling with her ex-boyfriend. Just when Sakiko is about to give up, she ends up living with Takahashi under one roof because of their similar values towards romance."

The name of the show is : "恋せぬふたり" meaning "they who can't fall in love" for now only one episode is out and I'm not sure it's been subbed yet. Anyways, I was so surprised when I found it I wanted to share it here. 

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 13

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi! I'm just letting you know I moved your thread to the "World Watch" forum, where other threads are about media related to asexuality, aro-aces, etc.

Thanks, for your understanding.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge moderator

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Searching it under the transliterated title in Latin alphabet (Koisenu Futari) resulted in quite a few websites where it can be watched, but still no subtitles yet. But given there were quite a few results on international websites makes me hopeful that subtitles would be uploaded at some point too and was thinking of sharing this :)

Actually watched the first episode of it this morning, on one of those sites... I tried on NHK's website but of course region-locked, so... 🙃 having lived and studied Japanese in Japan for a bit less than a year does have its advantages, even if it was a while since now ☺️ while I probably didn't quite catch everything, I still found it very nice, and it was so cool getting to follow the female main character in discovering asexuality and aromanticism, and the relief/sense of understanding of herself it gave her 😌 it seems very well made, and had a nice, pretty relaxed, pace to me :) thank you very much for sharing about it!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This sounds really interesting! Hoping it will be subbed sometime - I saw it finishes airing at the end of March so I'll have to keep an eye out. 

• 1 month later...
Notte stellata

I just watched this series and really loved it. It presented asexuality and aromanticism accurately, and the two protagonists formed a QPR-like relationship (although they didn't use the term QPR, but called themselves "temporary family" and "family without romantic love"). I also really like something the female protagonist said near the end: We shouldn't be restricted by either social conventions or our own promises; instead, treat everything as temporary and evaluate the relationship on an ongoing basis, hoping it to last but not forcing it.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Did anyone find better English subtitles than the ones based on the Indonesian fansub? Words like brother/sister and mother/father are constantly mixed up. If no-one has any I can of course make my own, but I wanted to ask before putting in the time to do so.