Who would win in a fight, Gender or Orientation?

Fraggle Underdark

Who would win in a fight, Gender or Orientation?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win in a fight, Gender or Orientation?

• Orientation

This poll is closed to new votes

Fraggle Underdark

They can use any weapons they can bring to the arena. Let's say they start about 200 feet from each other on level ground.

• Like 3
a little annihilation

gender orientation 😮 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, PanFicto. said:

Orientation because gender doesn't exist..

Does orientation even exist without gender? I mean, there are mono-orientations, obviously, so then it has to be possible to define it by gender. Or wait, they'd do it by sex even though strictly nobody checks everyone else's chromosome to be sure... Then what about those for whom it's not such a (perceived) cut line but don't identify with with an orientation that knows more than "one direction"? *brain turns to pudding*

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere

Why would they have to fight?

As a big cat maniac, I have many times seen people asking questions about "Who would win a fight, a lion or a tiger" - and these questios pretty much disgust me. Why would they have to fight? Why can't they cooperate instead?

Lions have an auntie system when raising cubs. Often they will come into estrus together, mate and produce cubs at the same time. Now one lioness can remain with cubs while the other hunts for food.
Tigresses raise cubs on their own. They have no help from male or other female tigers.
Julie, adaptable as she is, seems quite happy to use me and Savannah to help her raise the cubs.
Three years ago I captured a shot on film of Tigress Julie moving Savannah in her mouth to a new den. Now, 3 years later, Savannah is repaying the compliment by carrying Julie's cub back to the den.
Two of the biggest cats in the world and a human being, caring, communicating and co-operating to raise a litter of 5 cubs!

cubs13.jpg

• Like 3

Clearly gender is a bigger threat. People are so afraid of it, and when they're afraid of orientation it's because of the gender implications therein. 

• Like 13

Gender, because many orientations cannot be described without gender. Gender also affects person more directly than orientation (gender is there, orientation becomes a question if there are other people).

• Like 1

Gender feels much more abstract than orientation. At some point, when I was still somewhat questioning my orientation, I had completely forgot that gender was a factor in it somehow. That makes gender looks powerful to me.

2 hours ago, Phalena said:

Does orientation even exist without gender? I mean, there are mono-orientations, obviously, so then it has to be possible to define it by gender. Or wait, they'd do it by sex even though strictly nobody checks everyone else's chromosome to be sure... Then what about those for whom it's not such a (perceived) cut line but don't identify with with an orientation that knows more than "one direction"? *brain turns to pudding*

Then again, sex is gendered, and some people consider someone's sex to be the same as their gender (so a cis woman is female, a trans man is male, a trans woman is female, and so on...). You'd have to base orientations on other traits in order for non-bi/pan orientations to not be influenced by gender.

Gender is more nimble and flexible, which may allow it to get around orientation’s robust and largely static nature. Though, orientation’s initial appearance can be deceiving, and its movements may occasionally be more fluid than gender might anticipate, giving it the element of surprise. But it would probably come down to whichever one chose the gun as its weapon.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Phalena said:

Find me a person who wants to fuck every person of a given gender (or genders) on earth solely because they're that gender (or genders). Until then, consider acknowledging that orientation is just a shorthand for a more complex set of criteria that happen to have gender as one component.

12 minutes ago, Diabolical Diatribe said:

Find me a person who wants to fuck every person of a given gender (or genders) on earth solely because they're that gender (or genders). Until then, consider acknowledging that orientation is just a shorthand for a more complex set of criteria that happen to have gender as one component.

But it's primarily identified based on gender. It doesn't need to be, of course; it's just how we've chosen to construct what we communicate about our sexuality in order to categorize ourselves for various reasons (streamlining the search for a partner, forming community, expressing experiences, etc). But I find a surprising number of people still find the gendered element of their relationship dynamics important, beyond the assembly instructions of what gets inserted where. It's of course never the full picture of partner selection, but some people clearly value them more than they're willing to admit.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Diabolical Diatribe said:

Have orientation or gender ever included the premise of "Interested in everyone of that type"? I have heard that a similar assumption is made about people that are pan (quite often, it sounds super annoying).

Anyway, being honest with ourselves we can only lose discussing the superiority of gender or orientation in an epic battle since both are highly arbitrary in nature. We'd have to choose one canon definition in a sea of concepts that have no canon.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Phalena said:

Have orientation or gender ever included the premise of "Interested in everyone of that type"? I have heard that a similar assumption is made about people that are pan (quite often, it sounds super annoying).

Anyway, being honest with ourselves we can only lose discussing the superiority of gender or orientation in an epic battle since both are highly arbitrary in nature. We'd have to choose one canon definition in a sea of concepts that have no canon.

It seems implied when our orientations are defined based on the gender of the people in question, sometimes also our own. Both genders and (our current) orientations are reductionist categorizations of much more complex and nuanced phenomena, or at least that's my opinion on the matter.

Gender, because orientation is a function of gender, merely reacting to it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mackenzie Holiday said:

But it would probably come down to whichever one chose the gun as its weapon.

Now I'm imagining gender with a gun. Sounds chilling.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, SilenceRadio said:

Now I'm imagining gender with a gun. Sounds chilling.

"I now identify as a Glock 17. My pronouns are pewpew/bang/click." -Some American Conservative probably

But gender is literally nothing.

1 hour ago, BigBassFox said:

But gender is literally nothing.

Even if gender is either a social construct, a personal identity, both, or something else, it is still *something*.

• Like 1
Fraggle Underdark
7 minutes ago, Zagadka... but witchy said:

Even if gender is either a social construct, a personal identity, both, or something else, it is still *something*.

And in this particular fight, it might or might not be armed with a M2 Browning heavy machine gun.

• Like 1
DarkStormyKnight

Orientation would be better prepared, but Gender fights dirty and would win that way.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

@- 𝕱𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖌𝖑𝖊𝕽𝖔𝖈𝕶 -

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator