Research: Ace & Autistic Females/Feminine Enbys

kelico

We have received a request for interview participants from Roisin Friel. Here is all of the information you'll need to know (yes, it's lengthy, but please read before contacting Roisin!).

Exploring the Life Experiences of Asexual, Autistic Women and Non-Binary People: A Thematic Analysis.

My name is Róisín Friel, and I am a final-year undergraduate psychology student at the University of Glasgow. I am inviting women (cisgender or transgender) and feminine-presenting non-binary people, who identify as both asexual and autistic, to take part in this research study. I would like to note that you do not need to have a clinical diagnosis of autism, but you must at least self-identify as autistic. If you wish to take part in this study, you must read all of this information sheet carefully. You may discuss this with others if you want to. Please get in touch with me directly at 2316082F@student.gla.ac.uk if you have any questions regarding this study and/or your potential participation. Carefully consider whether or not you wish to take part in this study.

Thank you for your time.

Brief Summary

I am looking to explore the life experiences and mental health of all women and/or feminine-presenting non-binary people who identify as both asexual and autistic. This is because there has been no qualitative or quantitative research conducted exploring this intersectionality. Asexuality, in general, is incredibly understudied with little research published, and the experiences of autistic women and feminine-presenting non-binary people is also a very understudied research area. Therefore, I want to bring these areas together, in order to explore the lived experience of this specific group. The main areas I am interested in discussing within the interviews are:

1. Your identities as asexual and autistic separately.

2. Your identities as asexual and autistic together.

3. Your general feelings about being asexual and autistic.

4. How you feel in wider society as an asexual and autistic person.

I will also invite you to discuss any other issues you wish to concerning asexuality and/or autism within the interview.

What’s involved if I agree to take part?

I am available to personally discuss your suitability and potential participation within this study with you. Please email me in regards to this or any other questions at 2316082F@student.gla.ac.uk. To participate in this study, you will need to complete a consent form, either online or in-person. However, you will also have the opportunity to withdraw from the study at any time, even after completing the consent form. You may also request your data – e.g. the interview discussion you completed – to be removed from the research analysis. If you choose to withdraw your data, don't hesitate to contact me at the email address above to request this within two weeks of participation. After this point, it will not be possible to withdraw the data, as analysis will have begun. You do not need to give a reason for data withdrawal at any point. 

This research study will use ‘semi-structured interviews’. This means that you will participate in a one-to-one interview that has some set questions but also allows for you to bring up points or discussion outside of the questions if you wish to do so. 

You will be able to choose to participate in the interview either online or in-person. If you choose to participate online, the interview will take part using Microsoft Teams. We will ask that you keep your microphone on during the interview, so your voice can be recorded, but you will have a choice about whether you would like to keep your video on or not. If you choose to participate in-person, I will book a private room on the University of Glasgow campus for us to have the interview. The interview will be recorded using an audio recorder. 

The approximate length of the interview should be around 1 hour. 

Confidentiality: Ways to protect your identity and data

I will aim to not reveal any private or confidential information about yourself within my research to my fullest capabilities. Within the write-up, I will remove any specific references that may reveal your identity as far as possible. Otherwise, I will anonymise them to the point that they can’t specifically be connected to you.

Please read the following measures that I will take to ensure your confidentiality to the fullest extent:

1. I will assign you and your data a pseudonym and remove any mention of your name.

2. I will remove any names of people you mention and anonymise or remove any references to your personal life, such as your hometown.

3. I will keep the recording of your interview (data) secure and confidential, as well as follow GDPR guidelines. Data will be kept for 10 years by the supervisor of the project, but this will only be the anonymised transcripts. Original recordings will be deleted once transcripts have been generated. 

4. You must keep in mind that although total anonymity cannot be ensured due to the individual experiences you may discuss, I will do my best to anonymise these to the fullest extent. 

Please also note that as a psychology student of the University of Glasgow, I am bound to ethical practices, which means that I will not discuss any private or confidential information discussed within the interview outside of the study. Furthermore, I will not reveal any personal or private information about you as a participant to anyone else at any point, unless I feel that you are of immediate harm to yourself or others. In this case, I would contact my supervisor, Dr. Ashley Robertson (ashley.robertson@glasgow.ac.uk).

What are the possible disadvantages and risks of taking part?

Throughout the interview process, I will do my best to ensure your well-being. I recognise that some parts of the interview may feel difficult as some of the interview questions could lead you to think about your own wellbeing. Understandably, this may make you feel uncomfortable. Please know that you do not have to answer any question that makes you uncomfortable during the interview. You have a choice about how to answer the questions: you can answer by referring to your own experiences if you choose, or you can answer more generally if you prefer. I will ask you if you want a break or pause at times within the interview. In addition, you should feel free to leave the interview at any point if you feel too overwhelmed to continue. You may also submit your withdrawal from the research to me either in-person or by email (2316082F@student.gla.ac.uk) at any point, and you don’t need to provide a reason for this.

I will also provide you with a list of mental health helpline numbers after the debrief of the study and within my follow-up email to all participants if you wish to talk to someone.

Who is organising this research?

This research is being conducted for a final-year psychology undergraduate dissertation. The research is supervised by Dr. Ashley Robertson (ashley.robertson@glasgow.ac.uk). The research has been granted ethical approval by the University of Glasgow. 

Thank you very much,

Róisín Friel, 2316082F@student.gla.ac.uk 

2316082-F-Advertisement-Dissertation.jpg

This study has been approved by the AVEN Project Team.

kelico

Archived