Death Stranding Director's Cut and Asexuality - A Redemption Story

AshleyKubrick

AshleyKubrick

The article discusses Death Stranding's previous mischaracterization of asexuality, and discusses how the game addressed the previous error and improved.

Category: Article
Source: gamerant.com
Title: Death Stranding Director's Cut and Asexuality - A Redemption Story
Date: 24 February 2021

Link: https://gamerant.com/death-stranding-directors-cut-asexuality-depiction-correction-redemption/

This change, although slight, is incredibly impactful and represents a redemption arc for the story of Death Stranding's portrayal of asexuality. It acknowledges the past data log and does not attempt to bury it. Instead, it carefully explains the issues with the data log and why it can be considered discriminatory. It decouples the connection between asexuality and the Death Stranding, and in doing so asexuality is no longer presented as a pathological condition, but rather as a normal identity.

Through this change, Death Stranding has transformed itself from a piece of media containing a harmful representation of asexuality to one that serves as a teaching tool that facilitates a greater understanding of the identity. Rather than resort to insincere public apologies or simple deletion of the data log, Death Stranding instead learned from its mistakes and rectified them in a way that shows respect for the asexual community. However, this addendum is done in a way that does not break immersion from Death Stranding's narrative.

• 2 weeks later...
previously known as aroace

Awesome I'm glad they dealt with it so graciously. It's a good game I enjoy and my respect to kojima and co is even higher

Archived