Looking younger

Guest Corrianna

Guest Corrianna

I feel a sense of frustration. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this. Most of my adult life, I've been told that I look at least ten years younger than I am. That never mattered to me; I mean really - who would want to look twelve when they are twenty two? As I get older, (I'll be fifty next year) I hear a lot of other woman say that I'm lucky. IMOO, it's frustrating. Not that I'm in a hurry to look like an old hag, but I still get stared at and hit on by young guys. To me, it feels downright disrespectful. I feel that I've earned the right to dignity, and am not getting it.

My last counselor got fired for insisting that it wasn't too late for me to find a lover, even though I told her that I wasn't looking for one. She was surprised to find out my true age (she thought I was younger, of course) but wouldn't take me seriously when I said that I find other things far more important than finding a f---k buddy. She seemed to think that because I look young, and attractive, I should be sexually active as well. In some other cultures, woman have a right to began to withdraw from the things they used to do, it's even celebrated when a woman enters her "crone" stage.

I've even stopped covering my gray hair, but it doesn't seem to help.

I like being told I look younger.

It's like, the kid in me is reflected on the outside, too.

Gain thirty pounds - thats what worked for me. It kept me from receiving kids menu/kids toys at restaurants, and I went straight to the cashier automatically hitting the over 18 button when I bought an R movie

There IS a middle ground between looking like a kid and looking like an 'old hag'. I still get people telling me 'its not too late' to do a lot of things, find a husband, have a baby (uhhh, a bit too late, I have no WOMB!) and the like. I just laugh at them, what do they know?

1. There is nothing wrong with looking young, it means you're healthy. Unhealthy people tend to age faster.

2. Your counselor was ignorant. If you don't want to waste your valuable time in hot pursuit of foolishness, then you shouldn't have to.

I always have looked younger than my age. I do have fun with this, as people generally don't believe that I'm as old as I am. Even as 65 this year, I get that some. The thing is, I take after my Mother, who didn't look her age until the last couple of years of her life. She had congestive heart failure then.

Good for you for firing that counselor! Come on out to California and hang out with us for a while..... You will get old quick. :D :cake::cake:

I'm just kidding you. :lol:

I have always looked younger than my age also. I didnt start shaving regular (twice a week) until I was 26. I liked looking younger. Didn't bother me a bit and was even funny when I got carded and the person carding me saw my birth date on my ID. When grey hair arrived I colored my hair for awhile. Now that I'm in my 50's I let the hair go grey and the beard grow out, but people still have a difficult time telling my age, they just know that I'm at least older. :D

My suggestion, is don't look at it as a negative and think of it as a positive and have fun with it. Color your hair, use the make-up and dassle people with your youthful appearance, and then surprise them with your real age. The look on their face is priceless.

We had this kid at work when I first started there, that looked 12 years old. When I talked to him he was going into the army, and I discovered that he was 21. He's now in the army and I wonder what they thought about getting a 21/12 year old. He would have made a fantastic undercover cop, cause he could pass for 12 anywhere.

these are great stories.

everyone tells me I look younger too. The pros to this is everyone says I'm cute (and since I'm such an attention whore, I enjoy that comment, lol), the cons is I don't get near the amount of respect that everyone else my age does...that bites. I also inherited my young looks from my mom. Lucky me! =D

I like grey hair, I think it symbolizes wisdom. Also depends on how you keep it though. bird-nest is a crazy person, kept neat is a smart person, lol! j/k I think when I get grey hair I will not dye it. There are many people with grey hair who are still beautiful or handsome. It just depends on how well you take care of yourself.

Thought I'd better post or people may think Im not checking in at all..when I was 21 (many years ago) I nearly didn't get served in the pub because they didn't think I was old enough (18 in the UK). Yesterday morning, one of the girls I work with paid me a compliment by saying before she worked with me she thought I was a "Staid old granny" (well, I am a granny!), and once people get to know me, they realise I'm not the 'proper' person they thought...maybe I should go for a 'makeover'... :wink:

I'm not that old, by most standards, but sometimes people do think I'm younger than I am. Which doesn't bother me at all.

What used to bother me was when people used to think I was sort of an airhead or when they didn't take me seriously. That happened sometimes some years ago, and it bugged me. But my appearance has changed somewhat - I wear glasses almost all the time now, my hair in a braid, and I've gained some weight since several years ago (I'm still slender by most standards, but in the past I used to be very thin.)

Someone recently wondered if I'm an engineering grad student, and someone else seemed to think I'm a business student. I guess I don't come across as a dumb blonde anymore.

From today I have only 24 pay days till I get my State pension (still 60 for me, I was born at the 'right' time) but I still have very few grey hairs, so it probably accounts for looking youger than my 58 years.

I can't help you much. I love the age related (I'm over 30, 40, 50) "please help me up /off /guide me to my motorcycle t-shirts and sweaters.

I've also been lamenting about my Alzheimer's for many years now; people should get used to it before it kicks in... :wink:

About the being hit on by younger men: Are you sure they're really dreaming about you or are you just triggering their dreams about their current friends later?

What does being old really mean? Assuming Ziff would outrun me by far on 3mls, who 'd be allowed to feel "older"?

Birthdates don't mean much anymore past 30. There are springchicken more mature than me and whitehaired fitter. Current culture seems to believe in eternal youth too.

Looking younger is good.. Like thylacine said, it means you're healthy.

Everyone has always said that I look older than my actual age. Someone once told me that he thought I was 30!!! Luckily that was only one person. Or I might be considering botox soon. lol.. just kidding.

Most people tell me I look around early 20s to mid 20s depending on the amount of sleep I get.. :P ... although I'm only in my late teens now.

My mom looks very young for her age. Thus people always think we're sisters.

My look has been described as "a very tall 10-year-old". :roll:

I don't find that a good thing. I'd rather look older and wiser. Like a crone.

And for the record, I looked my youngest when I was almost morbidly obese at the age of 19. I wouldn't call that healthy.

Every day, I wake up, look in the mirror, and thank God Almighty Jesus that I do not look my age... !!! Really.

I don't know if I look my age or not. I don't think that I do, but I'm not sure. I read someplace that people from my generation (baby boomers) are about 10 years younger looking than our parents were at the same age. I'm not sure how true that is, but it's interesting.

I DO know that I don't act my age, though! Most of the people I know who are my age are parents or grandparents, and I think that part of the fun got sucked out of them when they spawned.

I guess children have to get it from someplace, but it still seems kinda unfair if you ask me! :P

*kidding!*

* Don't shoot me!*

-GB

Interesting concept. Maybe the women give birth to their sense of fun. :lol:

Most of the people I know who are my age are parents or grandparents, and I think that part of the fun got sucked out of them when they spawned.

I guess children have to get it from someplace, but it still seems kinda unfair if you ask me! :P

You need to come and work a nightshift with me - two grandmothers and a mum of four...wonder how the work gts done sometimes... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

... I am 21 years old and some busdrivers ask if I want to have a childrens tariff ticket.

So Its nothing new to me being guess quite younger. Even though it annoys me sometimes ...

treetopteresa

When I was a teenager I looked more mature than my friends (I developed sooner; if you know what I mean?). I used to be the one that got the beer for our group (I was 14 when I first bought beer :oops: ); I was real popular. But now that I'm older I've noticed that I have aged very gracefully for my age. I went to my 25th class reunion and was pleased at all the complements on how good I looked. Thank the Goddess that I had the good sense to stay out of the sun and when I went out I wore sunblock. I did unfortuanly inherit from my Mom's side of the family early greying hair, but thanks to hair dye I can be young forever. :twisted:

meh Even that advantage is away.. So I am staying out of the sun aswell , so I will be forever look younge r, just happened yesterday that I was guessed

14 to 16 years
  • 2 weeks later...

I know I look older (I'm nearly 45) and it's been quite an interesting change!

I used to control my eating to quite an extent, so had the body of a slim young thing until my late 30's and attracted quite a lot of unwanted interest... but following a health issue for which I take a permanent treatment, this and advancing years changed everything.

Bits grew, sagged and limbs etc thickenned, not a great deal, but enough to make me look older, but as I'm far less bothered about my clothing size and have many far more interesting things to occupy my mind, so I go around with a happy countenance, and this actually attracts far more people, and most importantly keeps me merry!

I've been told I look younger. I still get carded sometimes. But the odd thing is people think I am older because of how I act. I do know there are days when I have lack of sleep when no one questions my age.

Tanwen, that's nicely put! But it's the stiff joints, the beginings of arthritis that bugs me. Getting fatter (let's be honest about it) is a minor issue!

• 2 weeks later...
Tanwen, that's nicely put! But it's the stiff joints, the beginings of arthritis that bugs me. Getting fatter (let's be honest about it) is a minor issue!

I've been incredibly lucky so far, in spite of having my left arm re-arranged by my stupid horse when I was 21 and being told I'd develop arthritis in it, and my mum developing it in her late thirties.

I'll carry on with the cod liver oil with glucosamine,even if only on a psychological level, it helps.

Tanwen wrote:

I'll carry on with the cod liver oil with glucosamine,even if only on a psychological level, it helps.

Don't know if its psychological or not, but I take glucosamine to keep the pain in my left elbow away.

It can be a pain, when the body is getting older but the mind still thinks its young and can do all the things it used to do with impunity.

As I've mentioned before, my brain still thinks it's 17, so when it decides to do something it could when the body was also 17, the body just says "You gotta be joking!!!! You want to do that - you're on your own!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Archived