How do you meet older asexuals?

Papillon

It looks like most of the posts in this group, even in the seniors section, seem to be from young people. I also did a search for an asexual dating group (all the members' photos were viewable on the internet) and all the members there were again very young, in their teens or 20s.

I am an intelligent mid 50s female living in the Niagara Falls area in Canada. Where do you meet someone?

treetopteresa

I whole heartedly agree. Being a 45 yr old woman and not interested in sex I sometimes feel like I'm a leper or something.

Since I was introduced to THIS group by someone I met in the BDSM community I would suggest looking at the BDSM world. BDSM is attractive to all sexual persuasions and is a very broad "church". Because of that no assumptions are generally made regarding sexuality..or lack of it!.

roddy

All of the asexuals I have met in person have been members of this board.

Most of them are younger than I am, but that's just the nature of the internet.

Another reality is that asexuals have to adapt - one way or another - to feeling like misfits or social outcasts for most of their lives.

By the time they have survived long enough to be considered "older", many of them are no longer interested in risking any kind of committed, long-term relationships.

-GB

By the time they have survived long enough to be considered "older", many of them are no longer interested in risking any kind of committed, long-term relationships.

GB, I could not have stated that any better. :cake::cake:

Well, Some of the California members on this board have a problem meeting offline so you're very lucky GBRD143 that your group meets offline.My California meetup section sucks

Mmmmm....interesting question,thats's why I wrote about lonely,in my case,more,because I think that in my country there aren't asexuals,unless they are hidden,what a pity,because I am in the same situation....trying to find somebody.

Well, Some of the California members on this board have a problem meeting offline so you're very lucky GBRD143 that your group meets offline.My California meetup section sucks

Well ... I don't think there was much luck involved. It cost a lot and required me to travel - sometimes thousands of miles.

I have never had another asexual visit me at my home. Yet.

(I have a group??!! :shock: ) :D

-GB

Thousands of miles?...oh,dear!!!,I thought that you,people of the USA,would meet another asexual people easily,I can't understand so dificulty,there are hundreds of asexual people from the USA,I would suposse that it would be very easy.In my case,it is very difficult,I am really far. :(

Lux wrote:

I thought that you,people of the USA,would meet another asexual people easily,I can't understand so dificulty,there are hundreds of asexual people from the USA,I would suposse that it would be very easy.

Lux, the difficulty lies in that the U.S. is 3,000 miles across and 1,500 miles north to south or 3,500,000 square miles. Roughly the same size as all of Europe at 4,000,000 square mile, including the adjacent islands. Many of our states are as large as a European Country. So, even discovering that another asexual lives in the U.S. doesn't help when they live 3,000 Miles/ 4828 Kilometers away.

It would be like you living in Spain, discovering another asexual living in Northern Sweden. Yes, they are in Europe with you, but at very far distance.

Mmmm, :roll: I think that it's not the same thing,cos,we,the europeans, don't speak the same language,people from each country speaks a different language,so we are more divided,we are from different countries and cultures,the idea is to find a spanish asexual, not a swedish asexual,I don't speak his language.I can't communicate with him.If I would live in the USA,it's sure that in some state like California, for example,some asexual people would live,and, in this case,I would travel there to meet him/her.I read many post written from people from New York,for example,so, the new yorkers can meet in some place and chat.So that's why I think the americans from USA are lucky.

You might be right about that. Language can be a barrier. Yet I read posts of Europeans that travel all over Europe for Holiday?

I sort of think, that we all have it about the same, where-ever you live. Meeting the right person is difficult. I know for me it's impossible and I gave up years ago.

Hope you find who and what you are looking for.

Could be the internet is still very young, and the young have grown up and embraced the net.

I'll bet they are there, Lux, but don't know how to meet each other. Perhaps you could post fliers about our group in your area?? Is that OK, mods??

I hope this doesn't come across unkindly because it isn't meant unkindly - flyers might be great as an idea for general publicity but truthfully a lot of us on AVEN never meet.

A successful AVEN meetup, even in a major city with a huge population, means that about ten people of different ages and genders, with possibly nothing in common except asexuality, manage to spend social time together, and that's great (and yes, I normally participate in meetups, being too old to be an internet natural, but can see the other point of view).

However, friendships start up right here, and so far as I can guess, some deeper, maybe "romantic" relationships probably evolve from people getting to know each other from getting into discussions, jokes, whatever, on the board. And Lux, love, so many of your posts are about looking for a partner that nobody knows much else about you. I know English is your second language, and you are joining in more with the talk about movies on the "Asexual lesbians in Europe" thread, which is cool. And it's easy for me to say this because I'm old and cynical and not looking for a partner, but I do think trying to share more of your thoughts so we know you a bit better, and making more friends here, is part of the way to go.

Good luck!

Yes, posting flyers just for general publicity is what I meant. But true that we are few and far between, so she'd probably have to post them far and wide, and that's an awfully big project! LOL It's probably best to just hang in there and make friends here, and eventually others from her country will meander on in. I like your idea about sharing more about herself--it all starts with friends! :D

We had another member in Spain at one time. I think her username was Bolboreta or something very close to that. I haven't seen her for a long time, but at least it shows that there are some other asexuals someplace in your same country! Don't give up, Lux.

-GB

Thank you for your words,Bolboreta had dissapear,I don't understand what is "posting flyers",what is it?,I looked at the dictionary but I didn't meet its meaning. :?:

Placing signs around town advertising our website. Fijación de los aviadores, publicidad de www.asexuality.org.

Have fun at the dance, pinkfizzie!! Love the t-shirt idea. LOL Let us know how it went!

Well the singles dance was fairly fun. About 120 people. Some interesting people. I got to do my share of dancing and my ribs are still sore from hip-hop rendition of the bus-stop. lol. Anyway no purple triangles were seen there.

I’ve meet a few ppl here in Aven, and flirted. I’m not married, and don’t mind making their lives a little more spicy, as they do for me. I learn lots about them, and know their human beings too. Respect goes a long way.

There is an excellent chance they’ll never meet me, and maybe they don’t want too, I don’t blame them. But they’re a never ending dream…I dream of them.

But to meet others outside this site…I tried a popular website dating place for this country, with mixed reactions. And I have my RL friends, whom I need social contact with, and cannot tell.

Being Asexual is a lovely little secrete, it really makes you unique. You’re beautiful and not talking to him/her, because they’re hot. ((not that I know who’s hot or not, right now ))

This site is best right now (for me), just show some respect, caring and kindness…be genuine and yourself (most important ). You’ll find those who you click with…and they’ll be flattered that you find them attractive. Ok…being romantic asexual I give this advice! Aromantic asexual’s will still get a buzz for being noticed.

Thank you,Aventually,to explain me about the posting flyers,I see,but I don't know that it would be possible,it is only a funny idea and...DVB,I am a romantic asexual,so thank you for your advice....I really wish to meet somebody,but the time goes.Perhaps I have to pray to saint Antonio,the saint who makes people fall in love,in this case,asexual,he,he,he. :wink:

• 3 months later...
Elizabeth I

I think MOST post-menopausal women are non-sexual... Some folks at AVEN say that if you were ever sexual in your life that disqualifies you as asexual.

But I have met a great many older women who respnd to my "coming out" with ...." Really? Me too! Ya mean it's NORMAL? I really don't want my husband to find out though..."

I have never met an asexual male in person, and the only over 50 asexual men I know of on AVEN are Roddy and Ziff. (Sorry if I missed anyone)

Ziff lives pretty close in NJ... but I think he's afraid of women....and I am afraid of NUDISTS! :lol:

Lizzie

Awww ... I have never gotten the impression that Ziff is afraid of women - just that he doesn't want one under his roof.

It's perfectly okay to want to be single and eccentric.

*looks in mirror*

I'm okay! You're okay!

:D

Archived