Defining Asexuality Survey (no definition debates allowed!)

Horse Ham Radio

Horse Ham Radio

Hi! One of my latest projects in the community is to figure out what asexuality even is. It's one of my most ambitious and exciting pieces of work yet.

I've spent a lot of time reading definition debates over the past 5+ years in the community, and the one thing that is really lacking in all of them is data. There are so many different views, but so little in the way of numbers. There's also a real lack of cross-platform debates. For instance, the debates on AVEN don't seem to contain many ace people from off-AVEN (for obvious reasons... but this is still harmful for trying to understand the full extent of opinions).

I have long been wanting to carry out some basic research here to collect together as many thoughts as possible to see what people understand asexuality is.

To this end I have created a survey containing a broad range of questions around what asexuality is. I have also included a debate around a strict vs looser definition of asexuality (a common cause for conflict in definition debates). AVEN's letter to the BoD from a few months ago forms part of that for anyone interested. That letter is gold when it comes to examining the issues around a looser definition (so yeah.. thanks to everyone who contributed to that letter 😅).

I'm doing this research from a completely politically neutral standpoint, so I'm not trying to prove certain definitions over others or anything like that. I'm just wanting to collect everyone's thoughts and examine them to see what people think.

If you would be interested in answering (or even just viewing!) the survey, let me know by responding here or PMing me. I'm keen not to post it openly to avoid unwanted spam for the time being.

It is important to collect as many opinions as possible (from AVEN and all of the communities beyond AVEN too), so don't hold back if you think you might be interested! Every question is optional, so you are welcome to only answer part of the survey.

What will happen after?
Once you've filled it in, I will follow up on your answers in PM to clarify any areas that aren't clear. That's if you have supplied contact information - you can also fill out the survey anonymously, but please give very detailed answers if you do this so there is no room for misinterpretation. From everyone's answers I want to then create a further set of questions that dig deeper into the issues raised. Eventually we should have a good range of thoughts around all issues related to the definition.

What is the end result?
The final outcome will be a report discussing everything said and exploring from these thoughts what asexuality actually is. It will likely be a mixture of quantitative analysis and worded discussion around quotes taken from the responses. All responses will be anonymous in the final report unless you explicitly want to be named next to any of your quotes.

The report will be shared openly with everyone. I hope it will help allow people to see what everyone else thinks asexuality is and to inspire future research in this area. It should provide useful data for referencing in any discussions around definitions.

Any questions, post here or PM me! :)

P.S. No definition debating allowed in this thread :P Write all of your thoughts in my survey instead please ;)

I'm in. Sounds like a great way to help clear up confusion a lot of people have about asexuality 

Horse Ham Radio
5 minutes ago, blunose2772 said:

I'm in. Sounds like a great way to help clear up confusion a lot of people have about asexuality 

PM'd! :)

everywhere and nowhere

I'm in too. I already feel like waiting impatiently for the results. ;)

Horse Ham Radio
2 minutes ago, everywhere and nowhere said:

I'm in too. I already feel like waiting impatiently for the results. ;)

PM'd :)

1 hour ago, Spookghetti said:

Hi! One of my latest projects in the community is to figure out what asexuality even is. It's one of my most ambitious and exciting pieces of work yet.

I've spent a lot of time reading definition debates over the past 5+ years in the community, and the one thing that is really lacking in all of them is data. There are so many different views, but so little in the way of numbers. There's also a real lack of cross-platform debates. For instance, the debates on AVEN don't seem to contain many ace people from off-AVEN (for obvious reasons... but this is still harmful for trying to understand the full extent of opinions).

I have long been wanting to carry out some basic research here to collect together as many thoughts as possible to see what people understand asexuality is.

To this end I have created a survey containing a broad range of questions around what asexuality is. I have also included a debate around a strict vs looser definition of asexuality (a common cause for conflict in definition debates). AVEN's letter to the BoD from a few months ago forms part of that for anyone interested. That letter is gold when it comes to examining the issues around a looser definition (so yeah.. thanks to everyone who contributed to that letter 😅).

I'm doing this research from a completely politically neutral standpoint, so I'm not trying to prove certain definitions over others or anything like that. I'm just wanting to collect everyone's thoughts and examine them to see what people think.

If you would be interested in answering (or even just viewing!) the survey, let me know by responding here or PMing me. I'm keen not to post it openly to avoid unwanted spam for the time being.

It is important to collect as many opinions as possible (from AVEN and all of the communities beyond AVEN too), so don't hold back if you think you might be interested! Every question is optional, so you are welcome to only answer part of the survey.

What will happen after?
Once you've filled it in, I will follow up on your answers in PM to clarify any areas that aren't clear. That's if you have supplied contact information - you can also fill out the survey anonymously, but please give very detailed answers if you do this so there is no room for misinterpretation. From everyone's answers I want to then create a further set of questions that dig deeper into the issues raised. Eventually we should have a good range of thoughts around all issues related to the definition.

What is the end result?
The final outcome will be a report discussing everything said and exploring from these thoughts what asexuality actually is. It will likely be a mixture of quantitative analysis and worded discussion around quotes taken from the responses. All responses will be anonymous in the final report unless you explicitly want to be named next to any of your quotes.

The report will be shared openly with everyone. I hope it will help allow people to see what everyone else thinks asexuality is and to inspire future research in this area. It should provide useful data for referencing in any discussions around definitions.

Any questions, post here or PM me! :)

P.S. No definition debating allowed in this thread :P Write all of your thoughts in my survey instead please ;)

Interested, please count me in

I’d definitely be interested in checking it out.

Count me in as well.

:)

Horse Ham Radio
9 hours ago, Purple2 said:

I would be interested in filling out your survey :)

8 hours ago, Frenchace said:

I'm in.

5 hours ago, Artemis40boo said:

I’d definitely be interested in checking it out.

Count me in as well.

:)

PMs sent! :)

I wouldn't miss out on this for the world. PM, plz. 😂

dandeliongirl

I'll find some time to fill this out as well!  🙂 count me in! 

I'm really interested in what the results will be

Horse Ham Radio

It's great to see so many people interested :D I've got quite a few responses from elsewhere too, and I haven't even posted this everywhere I plan to yet.

There are definite patterns emerging already. Some questions almost everyone is in completely agreement with, whereas with some others everyone has given very different answers. There's also been some really fascinating points raised and edge cases discussed. I'm definitely going to be making a follow up survey down the line to explore these in more detail and really get asexuality defined.

I'll still be collecting responses for a while more yet before I follow up individually, but I will eventually follow up for sure :)

8 hours ago, Lilibulero said:

I'm sure folk know what I think, I posted my opinions on the original thread.

I would encourage you to fill out the survey too. The discussions in the original thread guided a lot of the question creation, but ultimately I can't take someone else's posts and transcribe them into question answers. Only you can do that.

10 hours ago, SilenceRadio said:

I'm in!

10 hours ago, CBCeebieJeebies said:

I wouldn't miss out on this for the world. PM, plz. 😂

9 hours ago, Kimmie. said:

Sure why not.

8 hours ago, dandeliongirl said:

I'll find some time to fill this out as well!  🙂 count me in! 

I'm really interested in what the results will be

Horse Ham Radio
9 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

Please, I would like to fill out your questionnaire also.

9 hours ago, Knight of Cydonia said:

I'm interested as well.

Archived