Ask Admods questions that don't deserve their own thread

The purpose of this thread is to have a space where members can ask quick and simple questions that don’t really need their own thread. Think questions about how to change a member title, how to switch to anonymous browsing or asking where some thread is or should go.

It is not for any questions or suggestions that will generate a prolonged back and forth discussion. Those do deserve their own thread. Sometimes questions will spark unexpected discussion and those discussions might be split off into their own thread.

If you have a complaint or criticism about the Admod Team, it is recommended to start a new thread and provide your case as well as a constructive proposal for how things could be done better.

Constructive criticism is always welcome, but criticizing for the sake of it, or to try to provoke outrage, is frowned upon and may be considered flaming/trolling. Questions that are deemed passive aggressive, inflammatory, or designed to create drama will be removed at the discretion of members of the Admod Team.

Please note, Admods are bound by a privacy policy and may not be able to answer questions about specific incidents without the consent of the member(s) involved.

You can find the original here and it’s younger sibling here.

Roon, Site Comments Moderator.

• Like 2
Janus the Fox

Thought it got messy on it's way out.  Good for a restart a clean slate.

3 minutes ago, Diabolical Diatribe said:

Is there any possibility that the IM chat will come back?

Yep, the tech team is just looking at options right now. Might be awhile, but we do want it to come back.

• Like 1

If, per Coleslaw's post from a month or so ago, Invision Chat becomes available for this forum software, does that mean the :ph34r: emoticon will show up, or will it still look like the text code for it?

• Like 1
Blueberry Pie

I have wondered this for a while. How do I make a status update? I don't see anywhere in my profile the option to make one. I see people making status updates but have no idea how to make one myself. Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, and I am a fool. 😆  Thanks for any help.

12 minutes ago, Blueberry Pie said:

I have wondered this for a while. How do I make a status update? I don't see anywhere in my profile the option to make one. I see people making status updates but have no idea how to make one myself. Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, and I am a fool. 😆  Thanks for any help.

It looks like you have it turned off. If you go and edit your profile, you should see an "enable status updates" switch which will let you post statuses on your profile. Hope that helps!

• Like 1
Blueberry Pie
1 minute ago, Roon the Spinach Gremlin said:

It looks like you have it turned off. If you go and edit your profile, you should see an "enable status updates" switch which will let you post statuses on your profile. Hope that helps!

This worked! Thank you very much! 😁

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Snaoktoberfest said:

If, per Coleslaw's post from a month or so ago, Invision Chat becomes available for this forum software, does that mean the :ph34r: emoticon will show up, or will it still look like the text code for it?

I hope it shows up, it's the best emoticon because it makes everything look dodgy :ph34r:

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, PanFicto. said:

I hope it shows up, it's the best emoticon because it makes everything look dodgy :ph34r:

I may or may not have a related tattoo :ph34r:

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Sky Tune Pain said:

Would any of y'all like a hug? :ph34r:

Roon would. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Sky Tune Pain said:

I don't hug spinach, I eat it. 😈

🥬 :ph34r:

OK. Real talk. 

Considering recent events,  will mods please consider a publicly visible forum that is read-only to members for all policy related things, including housing current Admod policies when it comes to all things AVEN? Please? For transparency's sake?

13 minutes ago, .Lia said:

OK. Real talk. 

Considering recent events,  will mods please consider a publicly visible forum that is read-only to members for all policy related things, including housing current Admod policies when it comes to all things AVEN? Please? For transparency's sake?

It's on the to-do list for things to talk about. We aren't doing any policy stuff right now, beyond election reform and trying to figure out how to get more people to run, because we are short-staffed so I don't know when it'll get looked at.

• Like 1
Janus the Fox
1 hour ago, .Lia said:

OK. Real talk. 

I've written a detailed Policy Discussion in there for Policy Transparency a while back, among other ideas that increase transparency.  The idea of public participation in some form is to be considered in there.

I'll eventually get back to Policies some day, once AVENues is sorted as well, it's having it's own member participation shortage currently that needs full attention.

Janus the Fox
1 hour ago, Roon the Spinach Gremlin said:

It's on the to-do list for things to talk about. We aren't doing any policy stuff right now, beyond election reform and trying to figure out how to get more people to run, because we are short-staffed so I don't know when it'll get looked at.

Remember also that there's a Policy Discussion as well to formally change the Election Process in full.  Even without Admin participation there, Admods can make that Priority to really formally change this feature.

there's already an old one in existence

why bother make a new one?

Just now, A User said:

there's already an old one in existence

why bother make a new one?

The old one wasn't being used for it's original purpose anymore, so I thought a fresh start with reset expectations would be best.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Roon the Spinach Gremlin said:

The old one wasn't being used for it's original purpose anymore, so I thought a fresh start with reset expectations would be best.

i can imagine what could've happened-

I see in the recent banned member announcement that a member was banned for 3 warnings, but then a year later they are banned for being nudged during probation period.

Does this mean someone can come back to AVEN after being perma-banned or is it a glitch? 

2 hours ago, PanFicto. said:

I see in the recent banned member announcement that a member was banned for 3 warnings, but then a year later they are banned for being nudged during probation period.

Does this mean someone can come back to AVEN after being perma-banned or is it a glitch? 

Sometimes people can appeal their ban and come back, but they are on a probation for the first 6 months.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Roon the Spinach Gremlin said:

Sometimes people can appeal their ban and come back, but they are on a probation for the first 6 months.

ooooh okay. I don't think my appeal would ever be accepted if I got banned, lol

I can't remember if I have asked this before or not. But Is it against the ToS not to report or actively say that they will not report posts that breaks it? 

9 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

I can't remember if I have asked this before or not. But Is it against the ToS not to report or actively say that they will not report posts that breaks it? 

It's not against the rules to not report something. Actively saying "I know you're breaking the rules, but I'm not going to report you" in a public thread could be seen as vigilante modding, in certain contexts, but isn't really that big of a deal, in my opinion.

• Like 3
Janus the Fox

I’d say it’s best to report everything that feels reportable, quietly without any public fuss about it.