Research Request: Asexuality & Self-Esteem

kelico

Dear Potential Research Participant,  
My name is Laura Pluckhan and I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology Psy.D. program at Alliant International University in Sacramento, CA. I am currently conducting a study looking at various factors that influence self-esteem in people of different sexual orientations.
If you are 18 years of age or older, I invite you to take part in a brief, 10-minute survey. Your responses will be anonymous as no identifying information will be collected from you. All of your answers will be kept strictly confidential.  
Thank you for your time, consideration, and participation.
Sincerely,  
Laura Pluckhan  
Clinical Psy.D. Student
Alliant International University

https://alliant.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eWqqVjS4Payy6Lc?fbclid=IwAR3iQ7rhqO1xtMpGC0k3NGVhequlcvBo1lT0WgRho1jp5gwLFgqcKV_WVdg 

This study was approved by the Project Team.

On behalf of PT,

kelico

everywhere and nowhere

It's a pity that it doesn't ask in more detail about self-esteem. Because I feel that culture teaches people to associate self-esteem with appearance and ability to attract a potential partner. Because of this, it also equates dislike for one's own body with "low self-esteem". But it doesn't work like this for everyone. I have high self-esteem because I value my mind, my philosophical reflections, by diary-writing. Compared to that, my body is just unimportant to me. Which surely has a lot to do with the fact that I'm asexual and don't want to be sexually attractive. But it is just contrary to what we are taught about the nature of self-esteem. I feel that too much emphasis on appearance as a factor in self-esteem is harmful by itself. It forces people to put too much emphasis on it and it makes those for whom non-appearance-related factors are much more important lose energy on explaining that one can not particularly like their body and still have a high self-esteem.

Completed. However, I would like to say that using the word "again" in questions about sex is assuming that everyone has had sex, which is patently not true. >annoyed huff<

13 hours ago, everywhere and nowhere said:

I feel that culture teaches people to associate self-esteem with appearance and ability to attract a potential partner. Because of this, it also equates dislike for one's own body with "low self-esteem". But it doesn't work like this for everyone.

Yeah, that's definitely true that it doesn't work like that for everyone.

I have fairly poor self-esteem. And I hate my body. And neither of those things has anything to do with attractiveness. I don't think I'm ugly; that's not why I hate my body. Being more attractive somehow definitely wouldn't make me feel better or boost my self-esteem. I truly don't care if people consider me physically attractive, and I'm not even asexual.

Completed.

I agree with @fuzzipueo’s point about using the word ‘again’.

Also, this survey says it’s about your whole life, not about recent experiences. I’m in a good place now, but was not in as good a place in the past, before I ‘discovered’ asexuality. Having the language to describe my experience and finding other people like me has helped enormously. So, despite the blurb, I felt that the survey didn’t capture that past experience, only a present-day snapshot.

Still, it’s good to see that asexuality experiences are being looked at.

14 hours ago, everywhere and nowhere said:

Because I feel that culture teaches people to associate self-esteem with appearance and ability to attract a potential partner. Because of this, it also equates dislike for one's own body with "low self-esteem".

That is because when you have a negative opinion for your body that will affect your self esteem. I agree that attractiveness has nothing to do with it, at least not for everybody. For some people it is very important and that's a very basic human need, to feel accepted and loved.

everywhere and nowhere
14 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

Completed. However, I would like to say that using the word "again" in questions about sex is assuming that everyone has had sex, which is patently not true. >annoyed huff<

Agree. I always say that a little change would be enough: to change "again" to "again (if applicable)" or at least "(again)".

Currently completing

Old Maid Librarian

Some of my answers about self-esteem were impacted by factors other than my sexuality. In the last decade I have developed a medical disability that has forced me to stop working much sooner than I intended and has greatly limited my ability to do volunteer work, socialize, and even manage household and gardening tasks. Being useless has had a much greater impact on my self-esteem than being asexual.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah...  I think the esteem questions could be aimed to better differentiate between factors that might affect esteem.  I'm pretty secure, happy-go-lucky person most of the time, but those niggling little doubts do occasionally sit at the back of my mind when I feel I'm in a rut.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:23 PM, wordforger said:

Yeah...  I think the esteem questions could be aimed to better differentiate between factors that might affect esteem.  I'm pretty secure, happy-go-lucky person most of the time, but those niggling little doubts do occasionally sit at the back of my mind when I feel I'm in a rut.

Yeah same; I feel like a failure and dysfunctional and shit, but that has nothing to do with my asexuality; it's for totally unrelated reasons! XD

Janus the Fox

Rare for me to do these, but I'd filled this one in.  The only issue is selecting more than one Gender, as I'm Trans and Intersex, though I perhaps could of filled in the Other box with both :cake:

• 1 month later...

I appreciate @everywhere and nowhere's thoughts about self-esteem—it's true that this survey doesn't seem to capture more complicated nuances. I found myself using the "neither true nor false" answer on a lot of the questions where I wanted to describe a distinction that the question didn't make, or even to reject the premise of the question entirely. 

@kelico Thank you for creating this survey to increase awareness about asexuality. I think self-esteem is an important topic and I'm glad you've incorporated it into your research. If I may, I suggest the wording be changed for future surveys, as some asexual people are virgins, and having sex "again" simply does not apply.

Archived