Asexual characters in film / TV - what matters most?

Asexual characters in film / TV - what matters most?   

32 members have voted

1. 1. Given the lack of asexual representation on screen, which reason matters most to you for introducing the asexual voice?

• Representation. To have our stories authentically told.
    • Education. To have our existence made more widely known.

I chose education. Both reasons are extremely important of course. But man, we should have that in school, that different orientations exist. Education first, then representation so we can all rest in peace.

• Like 1

What I worry about the most is whether or not asexual or aromantic experiences can be made "understandable". Sexual desire is so intrinsic to the experience of sexuals that they will probably struggle to comprehend this very different set of experiences. I mean, we need something like an asexual iconography that doesn't accidentally look like "this person is hurt or broken" tropes. Because that is what I fear sexual viewers will perceive of an asexual or aromantic character since a lack of sexuality or an interest in it is usually used to portray a troubled character with their arc often being "healing from it". Because of all of this I tend to education first, representation after. People will first need a theoretical concept to asexuality before they can understand them through representation since the lack of sexuality is already marked as problematic so strongly that different options seem absurd at this current point in time. I hope my rambling made sense.

• Like 4

Hmm. 

I mean, technically, anyone who is falling for their childhood sweetheart and no one else could be demi. 

Anyone going for ONS casual hookups could be sex favorable asexual. 

Anyone who is going through a long dry spell and not that bothered could be grey-a.

So, nearly all characters in TV / film could be argued to be asexual under the umbrella term. Only the frat boy sex crazed types could not. 

But, the do not desire sex asexual representation exists in Sirens and a few soaps. BoJack Horseman supposedly did it well. I think if you're trying to normalize it, just representing is more important in media. This is me, I'm a normal person, I just happen to not do this one thing other people do. 

I chose representation because once people see it more often, education would follow more easily.  They kind of go hand-in-hand, but I feel it's important to stress representation first before education.

• Like 4

More. Diversity. And much much much more authentic ace and aro characters

I don't believe education itself is enough. No one character can ever represent the different types of ace or aro people. So I want to see more of them and see different ones rather than just one romantic asexual for instance. 

Expose more people to different ace and aro experiences and naturally they we see how diverse we all can be.

(I use ace and aro as umbrellas as apposed to specifically asexual and aromantic)

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

I think representation is the most important right now.  There are lots of educational resources out there now, not least of which is this site, but most people aren't going to find them unless they're looking.  You want them to look?  Put Ace representation in the popular media they consume.  If they REALLY like a character and are curious about what they're talking about then they'll do what any mildly curious person does and look it up online.

• Like 5

education can be inherently flawed since there are many kinds of aces and aros out there. authenticity and true representation matters.

• Like 6
  • 3 months later...

Massive thank you to @taetae @Phalena @Serran @Vero Totem @Mult @wordforger @saucewisdom and everyone else who voted for your perspective and insight 🙏 These statistics have been invaluable. 

If you have the inclination to contribute further, opinions are being sought over in this thread 👉 

My team and I are in the final stages of submitting for significant development funding for our ace series. If successful, this will be the first asexual protagonist broadcast on a major Australian TV network. Which could change the game for so many. 

As part of our submission, we'd *love* to include comments from the community about what this kind of mainstream media representation would mean — or have meant — to them on a personal level. Any wisdom/musings/thoughts would be immensely appreciated (and, of course, kept anonymous). It would be incredible if this series was pushed over the line by our very community itself 🔥

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

I'd say representation itself with the authentic stories. Honestly, that seems to be a better educational tool anyways - have you seen that video from Jaiden Animations "Being Not Straight" or whatever it was called? The way she explained it and gave anecdotes of herself growing up and how it was different I think helps people to better be able to put themselves in someone else's perspective and develop empathy for their different experience. Meanwhile, if it's JUST for education's sake, it can seem way more distant and cold and idk maybe awkward? Whereas if you just tell an authentically ace experience, if people get curious enough about it, they can look more into it and get the education, while the actual aces get some quality representation.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 12:18 AM, t_norrish said:

Love this, @Karret! Thank you for your thoughts — you raise some really valid points.

I'mma jump on that Jaiden Animation video right now, haha! 👌

No problem! Hope you enjoyed that video! I really liked it. And I'm particularly glad that she happened to have the "being ace is awesome" perspective instead of the "I feel broken" one, because that's what my experience was like, too. XD But I didn't even think about dating, so I didn't have the "scanning my classes for potential romantic interests" part. XDa

But yeh, when you tell the authentic stories via representation, I think that would naturally lead to people wanting to learn more about asexuality and finding the education on their own.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 7:50 AM, Karret said:

Hope you enjoyed that video! I liked it.

It was utter brilliance 🙌

Thank you again for your awesome contributions, @Karret🙏