• Romance-averse
    • Romance-indifferent
    • Romance-favorable
    • These terms don't describe me / I don't use them
    • Not aro
    • Romance-ambivalent

This poll is closed to new votes

The French Unicorn

I'm just curious to know how aces and aros relate to these terms.

Β 

edit : i forget to tell but for me, it is slightly sex-repulsed. And for romance, I don't find these terms useful to describe myself.

I'd suggest to add 'sex-ambivalent' and 'romance-ambivalent' to options cuz some ppl may use these terms (including me)

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Zimmermikeee said:

'sex-ambivalent' and 'romance-ambivalent'

Just curious, is it not the same as sex/romance indifferent? Is there a difference?

6 minutes ago, Milque Toast said:

Just curious, is it not the same as sex/romance indifferent? Is there a difference?

Not a native english speaker, but my understanding is that indifferent means not caring, and ambivalent means having multiple, often conflicting feelings about something. it was kind of a surprise to me when I heard this, I had always thought of ambivalent being "eh, whatever" but apparently it is more like having mixed feelings.

• Like 9

Yep indifference is not caring or thinking about a thing, ambivalence is being unsure of your feelings about a thing. Most people seem to use the word incorrectly so it has also come to mean the same as indifference. Think of the root of the word, ambi- meaning 'both'.

The French Unicorn
43 minutes ago, Zimmermikeee said:

I'd suggest to add 'sex-ambivalent' and 'romance-ambivalent' to options cuz some ppl may use these terms (including me)

Added.

14 minutes ago, HonoraryJedi said:

Not a native english speaker, but my understanding is that indifferent means not caring, and ambivalent means having multiple, often conflicting feelings about something. it was kind of a surprise to me when I heard this, I had always thought of ambivalent being "eh, whatever" but apparently it is more like having mixed feelings.

Β 

5 minutes ago, theV0ID said:

Yep indifference is not caring or thinking about a thing, ambivalence is being unsure of your feelings about a thing. Most people seem to use the word incorrectly so it has also come to mean the same as indifference. Think of the root of the word, ambi- meaning 'both'.

Thanks! I had always assumed it meant "eh, whatever", now I know what words mean :D

I'm sex-repulsed/averse if it involves me. As far as other people go, that's up to them and doesn't concern me as long as I'm not witness to it.

Β 

Basically, do not want,Β do not want to see, but you do you. :PΒ 

• Like 2

I am sex-repulsed, I don't want to hear about it, think about it, see it, or partake in it.

Mainly sex indifferent, but after reading the replies in this thread I think I might also be ambivalent at times. For me personally I just think it’s hard to really know when only going off of hypotheticals in my head. But I’m not rushing to try it out in real life or anything,Β so whatever.Β 

Sex averse, aro but romance favorable I think?

For me, it is sex-indifferent I guess. As for aro, honestly I don’t know. I never wanted to be in a relationship and I’m not searching for a partner.

sex-averse, though close to repulsed. i don't want anything to do with sex or genital touching, and when i've tried "compromise sex" with allos i've hated and been disgusted with myself afterward.

Sex-repulsed and romance-indifferent.Β 

StarryNightAllAlone

Sex-averse. Sex is a big no for me, but I don't care what other people do behind closed doors. Romance-favorable.

Β 

• Like 2

idc about sex tbh

Β 

but im some flavour of romantic so idk

verily-forsooth-egads

Sex-repulsed. Never thought to categorize my feelings on romance this way, but "ambivalent" fits pretty well.

• Like 2
a little annihilation

Sex averse, romance favorable.

• Like 2

I put β€˜sex-adverse,’ though it may be important to add that I don’t think the word β€˜ace’ really describes me.Β 
Β 

As for romance, I’m pretty open to the idea, so I put β€˜romance-favourable’ (I’mΒ aro).Β 

Squirrel Combat

There was a time when I would be "sex-averse", but that was out of a silly fear. I still consider myself ace, but I'm "favorable" now. 😁

I haven't thought about sex-ambivalent before. I wonder if that would make more sense than indifferent for me (or changing to some others at times). *shrug*

Sex-indifferent. Romance. Well. I am not aromantic, but would say too disillusioned with romance in general to care about that anyway.Β 

Hmm you know I put sex favorable but I do kind of teeter between favorable and indifferent so maybe ambivalent would be a good term for me. Food for thought. And I'm def alloromantic.Β 

Sex-averse and not aro :)Β 

J. van Deijck

Sex indifferent and romance favourable.

Was somewhat averse, but less so nowΒ