Does A also stand for ally?

BigBassFox

Does the A also stand for ally?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think allies apart of the LGBTQIA+ community?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neutral

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/21 at 02:27 AM

I've heard some people say the A in LGBTQIA+ also stands for ally, along with asexual, aromantic, and agender, so I wanted to ask those who are also in the community.

• Like 1

I don’t consider it being for asexual, we’re our own community. As for ally, not sure.

• Like 3
Oberon Jasper

A lot of sexualities and genders fall under A so I'm really indifferent. It can stand for abro, agender, etc. A stands for whatever A letters fall under the LGBTQ+ community.

• Like 2
a little annihilation

I put neutral, but no. Being an ally does not make you queer just the same as supporting any other group does not make one a part of it. 

• Like 4

There’s a historical reason for the A being ally (a way for closeted or questioning people to be part of the community without outing themselves), but I honestly don’t know if that’s very necessary now, or if people even identify as allies as a safe way to join the community anymore. In my experience I mostly see people say “the A is for allies!” to dismiss and exclude aces and aros, so I’m less inclined to consider it, I guess? I think the way I view it is that cisgender heteroromantic heterosexual allies are allies (which is wonderful), but they’re not “members” of the community per se. So it makes more sense for the A to be for ace/aro-spec and agender people. 

• Like 5

Allies are great and imo they're welcome basically everywhere within the community...But no, they're not part of it the way queer people are. 

• Like 4

While I think allies belong in the community, I don't think they're represented by a letter. I think the A should stand for asexual, aromantic, or agender. 

• Like 4

Even before i figired out i was ace, i never thought a was for ally, coming from an ally (cis, straight)

Edit: driving your kid to school doesn't mean you are on the pta

• Like 2
Captain_Tass

I put neutral. The "A is for ally" is a product of a time when it was truly controversial and frowned upon to be an ally of the LGBT+ community. Allies would put their reputation on the line when they expressed their support. Many closeted queer people would self-identify as allies, so that they could show their support for their community without outing themselves and literally putting their lives on the line, because they'd rather risk their reputation than their lives.

I strongly believe that the stories of closeted queer people, who may not have lived long enough to be able to come out as anything other than an ally, shouldn't be forgotten. I also believe that the cishet people who stood by us when that would cause them to be ostracized by the rest of society shouldn't be forgotten. This is why the A standing for ally is a thing. To remind us of our history.

However, cishet allies aren't queer themselves. And if they are true allies, they will accept that not all spaces/events are for them because of that reason. They can hang out in the acronym all they like, but if they start talking over us by using their place in the acronym as a justification, I will strongly question their allyship (and thus their place in the acronym).

• Like 7
2 hours ago, BigBassFox said:

I've heard some people say the A in LGBTQIA+ also stands for ally, along with asexual, aromantic, and agender, so I wanted to ask those who are also in the community.

Now you have me questioning everything. 

I thought A was asexuals... 

Do we give Allies thier own letter? 

I know they have thier own flag 

CostaRicanAce

NO NO NO!!! Allies are great and we love them, they just aren't apart of the community. A is for Ace, Aro , Agen, Abro, etc. They aren't queer, so they aren't in the community but we still love our allies.

I don't think allies should be part of the LGBT+ acronym. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate allies, and I think they're important. But if you're cis/het/allo there are certain experiences that no matter how sympathetic you are, you cannot fully understand.

White people should not say they're part of the Black community because they support the Black community. I feel like this is very similar.

There is absolutely no reason for an ally to be considered part of the community itself. Allies are cisgender and heterosexual. It makes no sense for them to be a part of a community that they, well, aren't a part of. lol

it can be asexual, agender, ally, etc.

as long as it's starts with an A lol

• Like 1

One of the reasons I really prefer GSRM. Endlessly debating what acronym means what and is included is tiring. "Gender, sexual, and romantic minorities" includes everyone it means to without judging labels or who belongs.

Specifically, on one hand, no, and on the other, I really don't care, and I won't be policing people.

• Like 3
On 8/31/2021 at 5:34 PM, BigBassFox said:

It can. I just use GSRM, as do other people. It refers to gender, sexual, or romantic minorities. It encompasses more people so there aren't just picking and choosing of which identities are supported in pride. When I was younger there were not many identities so there were only a few letters needed...now it's obviously changed.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:40 AM, A User said:

it can be asexual, agender, ally, etc.

as long as it's starts with an A lol

Acrobat, astronaut, acupuncturist...

• Like 1
everywhere and nowhere

For me it makes more sense if it doesn't. There are lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgender people, asexuals... and there are allies, as an outside group - people who aren't LGBT+, but support their goals.

On 8/31/2021 at 7:52 PM, Life Of Tass said:

I put neutral. The "A is for ally" is a product of a time when it was truly controversial and frowned upon to be an ally of the LGBT+ community. Allies would put their reputation on the line when they expressed their support. Many closeted queer people would self-identify as allies, so that they could show their support for their community without outing themselves and literally putting their lives on the line, because they'd rather risk their reputation than their lives.

I strongly believe that the stories of closeted queer people, who may not have lived long enough to be able to come out as anything other than an ally, shouldn't be forgotten. I also believe that the cishet people who stood by us when that would cause them to be ostracized by the rest of society shouldn't be forgotten. This is why the A standing for ally is a thing. To remind us of our history.

However, cishet allies aren't queer themselves. And if they are true allies, they will accept that not all spaces/events are for them because of that reason. They can hang out in the acronym all they like, but if they start talking over us by using their place in the acronym as a justification, I will strongly question their allyship (and thus their place in the acronym).

Also a lot of people will call themselves allies as a way to protect themselves when they're closeted so people don't get suspicious when like a kid is joining their school's GSA or someone is photographed at Pride or so people can wear pride related things (rainbow pins, for example) or hang out with their LGBT friends more openly without arousing suspicion.

• Like 2

I would say no.

Whilst it is nice for allies to support the LGBT+ community, they are not directly a part of it.

If someone calls themselves as an ally to hide their sexuality and/or gender from people around them, that's fine - keep safe!, but they are not an ally at heart. they are gay/asexual/transgender/etc. THAT is what puts them in the LGBT+ community.

Anyone who is cisgendered, heterosexual, and heteroromantic shouldn't be included in the LGBT+ label. They can support it, but they are freely able to go anywhere in the world and love who they want to love, wear what they want to wear, and know they won't be arrested/killed for doing these things.

• 11 months later...

@BigBassFox

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator