How do you feel about facial hair on men?

StarryNightAllAlone

StarryNightAllAlone
1 hour ago, Zhorin said:

As a man with a beard, I might be a little biased here, but I really appreciate all the time and effort that goes into keeping a fine looking beard. Some guys can pull it off, others not so much.  

I agree that Riker looks 1000x better with the beard.  

I don't have a problem with close cut beards if they're nicely groomed and clean. But I'm not a fan of the lumberjack beard or any longer beard. Riker really suited his beard. Apparently, Jonathan Frakes grew a beard over the summer and was going to shave it off for the start of season 2, but the producers liked it so much they asked him to keep it.

• Like 1

For my own face, I don't like having facial hair but I also don't like shaving, so at times I have let it grow, but eventually shave it off. These days I might go a few days between shaves, but usually shave if I'm going out of the house.

For other people, like many have said, it depends on the person and the style. To me, the same goes for hair length on women. For the latter I generally prefer long hair, but some women look better with shorter hair or at least just as good. And in the end, it's up to each person to do what they want to do with their hair (head, facial, etc.).

• Like 3
Anomaly Q3Xr
7 minutes ago, daveb said:

For my own face, I don't like having facial hair but I also don't like shaving, so at times I have let it grow, but eventually shave it off. These days I might go a few days between shaves, but usually shave if I'm going out of the house.

I am the same in that regard.  I really don't like having facial hair, but also shaving is just meh, so I generally do it only if I am leaving the flat or my partner is coming to mine.  Though, I am agender and not a man.

• Like 1

I can appreciate a decent full beard, but not all facial hair. A lot depends on the style and how they carry themselves.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why, but my brain automatically registers men with beards to be kinder and more empathetic. Of course there's no demonstrable truth to that, but it's still an instinctive reaction I have.

• Like 2
StarryNightAllAlone
1 minute ago, Ceebs. said:

I'm not sure why, but my brain automatically registers men with beards to be kinder and more empathetic. Of course there's no demonstrable truth to that, but it's still an instinctive reaction I have.

I once heard someone say they preferred dating chubby guys because they looked more trustworthy.

• Like 1

The Sword goes full Santa Claus (in length and volume... and recently, ever more in coloration *sigh*), and has done so since The Sword's late teens. The days The Sword's been clean-shaven amount to less than a month total over the last 30 years.

• Like 1
Just now, StarryNightAllAlone said:

I once heard someone say they preferred dating chubby guys because they looked more trustworthy.

It's interesting, the associations people's brains make.

• Like 1
StarryNightAllAlone
5 minutes ago, Ceebs. said:

It is interesting. Anyways, I don't care too much about a man's appearance. I don't mind a light beard or a guy who's a little chubby. I would care that the man is healthy and has good hygiene. I'm not a looker myself. I'm pretty average looking. I think personality and compatibility are far more important. But I like to hear what other people's personal preferences are.

27 minutes ago, StarryNightAllAlone said:

It is interesting. Anyways, I don't care too much about a man's appearance. I don't mind a light beard or a guy who's a little chubby. I would care that the man is healthy and has good hygiene. I'm not a looker myself. I'm pretty average looking. I think personality and compatibility are far more important. But I like to hear what other people's personal preferences are.

My physical criteria for a partner, male or female, are basically... well, as long as something about them isn't a significant turn-off, whatever they look like is fine. Of course that doesn't mean that I can't find people attractive, some more than others, but looks are not a priority. If I fall for someone, I'll find them attractive. A large portion of it is non-sexual; it's more that looking at them makes me think of love and safety and comfort. There's a feeling of 'home'.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ceebs. said:

I do seem to be attracted to dudes/dude-adjacent folks who radiate a kind of boyishness or innocence in their demeanor, and have traits that culturally read as more feminine (being soft-spoken, gentle, emotionally open); I think partly because they feel safer and less intimidating, partly because I feel a kinship with that mentality, and partly because my asexual brain associates that with lesser sexuality (even though of course that isn't necessarily the case.)

Several years back I stumbled across a Reddit thread asking straight women if they'd date an effeminate man; before clicking I assumed the responses would be all over the place. I was pretty shocked when nearly everyone answered "nope, no thanks." Maybe we were thinking of different things when we heard that word, but... I can't possibly be the only one 😅 Visually, very few things turn me off more than an overly macho demeanor/presentation.

• Like 2

Speaking as a male-bodied person... I'd get rid of all hair on my body that isn't on my head, and I'd rock a buzz cut almost all the time. Hair is a sensory issue for me, especially on my body. I sometimes go too long without shaving and get a fair bit of scruff, but that's always done away with promptly. 

I really don't care whether a guy has facial hair or not. That's their own preference.

I had a beard for probably 8 years after high school, but i've been trying to branch out a bit in the past few years.  the pandemic particularly drove me to embrace the mustache, since beards were far to itchy w/ the masks. So now I mostly just rock the stache and stubble around town. Not sure if it really looks great or anything, but I like it.

• Like 1

I agree with others that it does depend on the person and the style and what suits them well and whatever it is that it is well kept. I can really dig mustaches strangely enough haha, or just kind of an even scruff is nice too. 

I don't mind clean shaven either I guess, but for some reason it feels important to my attraction that a guy *can* grow a decent beard as weird as that sounds lol.

• Like 1
Just now, MarRister said:

I don't mind clean shaven either I guess, but for some reason it feels important to my attraction that a guy *can* grow a decent beard as weird as that sounds lol.

I don't find this weird. 😂

But then I have a strong bias in favour of facial hair, so. Honest to god, I think about 95% of men look better with a beard than without.

• Like 1

I’ve had sideburns for several years now. It’s part of my retro-wannabe image. 😎 Nothing ostentatious, more like what Elwood had in the first Blues Brothers film. I noticed that the length of his changed quite a bit depending on the scene; mine are on the longer end of the spectrum.

StarryNightAllAlone
On 8/3/2021 at 1:45 PM, Zhorin said:

As a man with a beard, I might be a little biased here, but I really appreciate all the time and effort that goes into keeping a fine looking beard. Some guys can pull it off, others not so much. I have a slight aesthetic attraction to men with nice beards. 

I agree that Riker looks 1000x better with the beard.  Also, for the record, I know the beard doesn’t suit Data. I just think it’s hilarious and cute. 

I agree. Anything Data does is funny and adorable. His curiosity and innocence are endearing and hilarious. He really cracked me up whenever he experimented with things. Any new hobby Data tried out led to funny moments - his beard, his poem to Spot, the episode he tried to understand humor, and when he tried to mediate a dispute between Keiko (😒) and O'brien before their wedding. I loved watching him learn how to tap dance and dress up as Sherlock Holmes. Back to beards, I have no problem with them. Other people can do as they like and I think clean, well-trimmed beards look really good on some men. I used Riker (had to include Star Trek) as an obvious example. I agree, he looks much better with the beard. I also think Sisko's beard made him look really cool and badass. Vulcans, on the other hand, look better clean shaven.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, StarryNightAllAlone said:

Vulcans, on the other hand, look better clean shaven.

Unless they're from a mirror universe, and the codifying example of the evil beard trope... then they absolutely rock it. ;) 

a427bb01b0797741cf388dc0461517da.jpg?ito

• Like 5
Furtive Pygmy

I wish that I could grow a proper beard. Usually just keep it to short stubble (hides some of the acne scarring) as it looks a ratty mess after a few days.

Twisted Tempest

It's their choice, and people are perfectly fine to choose whichever. I do think some people suit it more than others. For me personally, I don't really suit it at all, and it feels physically uncomfortable for me. I can't grow that much of it anyways. 

• Like 1

In the last 18 months, due to lockdowns or less incentives, I've gone out less for most things than ever before so I could get away with not shaving, as I just look scruffy. But by the time hair touches my lips though, it gets too annoying to leave.

StarryNightAllAlone
9 hours ago, The Sword said:

Unless they're from a mirror universe, and the codifying example of the evil beard trope... then they absolutely rock it. ;) 

a427bb01b0797741cf388dc0461517da.jpg?ito

Well, we're talking about Leonard Nimoy here. He could make almost anything look good. 

• Like 2

I've experimented  with growing moustaches or beards but have always hated it and gone back to shaving after only a short time. That said my beard grows pretty fast and I generally have sandpaper face from 11am

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends on the man.  I do think they tend to look better on men that have dark hair as opposed to blonde hair.

I'm not very fond of beards (I don't mind super short and neatly trimmed ones that frame the face or stubble).  But with longer beards, the first thing that usually goes to my mind is if food gets stuck in there.  I'm not fond of mustaches, either (I associate them with much older men).   I typically like the clean shaven look better.  Regardless, I wouldn't really say anything if a guy had a beard or mustache.  (I'm a girl who doesn't always feel like doing hair removal, so it's kinda hypocritical for me to do so).  That, and as far as I'm concerned, what a guy does with his body (including facial hair) isn't my business.  I kinda compare it to criticizing someone's haircut (general rule of thumb, if it's not your body, don't be nasty to them about it).   I will however say that my brother happens to sport a fairly bushy beard (which I sometimes tease him about but that's just sibling banter).  Back when it was longer, I used to jokingly ask him if he planned on parting the Red Sea.  He, of course, just scoffed and tried to convince me it's "a viking beard, dammit!"

• Like 1

if their face looks good with a beard then idc

if it doesn't then shaved is better

it truly depends on who we're taking about

I don't like goatees - I think they look a little...creepy TBH 😅 

I think moustaches are OK on older people, but I think they can look kinda sleazy on anyone younger.

Everything else is OK though 😅