The Child Within?

Ziffler

I think mine's about 15. I can still really relate to books and movies about high schoolers...then I think, wait...I'm in my 20's... :roll:

Maybe our 15 y/o inner child can go out to play on Sunday?

Cool, another 15-year-old inner child! :) They can go off and listen to punk rock and draw on bathroom walls together. :wink:

my inner child is a tween teen (age varies) i like cartoons ,games alternative music and dressing like how i feel i' ve been told to act and dress my age countless times. the people i interact with the best are usually half my age or less. although i have been told by kids i'm cool for like an old person. ( that is a compliment right?)

Here's an inner child quiz.

How old is your inner child?

http://www.quizilla.com/users/jsimner/quiz...20Inner%20Child

1062440431_ten.jpg

My inner child is ten years old!The adult world is pretty irrelevant to me. Whether I'm off on my bicycle (or pony) exploring, lost in a good book, or giggling with my best friend, I live in a world apart, one full of adventure and wonder and other stuff adults don't understand.

If I have an inner child, she is about 10, and very shy and very frightened of any males she doesn't know.

PhoenixAbomination

Weird, ever sense I was a kid myself my inner child was 16 and to this day still is 16. Like me, neither male nor female. I still have that high school feeling but yet I felt too old when I was in college at the age of 19, now 23 I still have that too old for college feeling. I don't get it.

Abomination

ChildOfTheLight

That test said my inner child is six years old. I would have said about five, so that's about right.

Oh, I'm biologically male. Now that that's cleared up...

My inner child is a girl that appeared to me in a dream as a twin sister who had disappeared, and of whom my family never spoke. Here's a description of that dream that I once wrote:

When I was sixteen, I had a quite detailed dream that I had a twin sister who disappeared when I was young, and that my family never spoke of her, and that I had forgotten her. She was quiet, withdrawn, serene, in my memories of her in the dream. I thought that if she had grown up, she would have been a free-spirited poet-girl, undisturbed by the world, never feeling compelled to obey. I wanted to find her and know her. She was beautiful, or I knew she would have been. I woke up, and I wondered what she meant, who she was. But I never told anyone this dream. I just wrote it down in my notebook that I used for writing poems. And I went almost four years before I realized the truth. She was me. Or, more specifically, she was the feminine element in me, that I had forgotten about, perhaps even repressed to an extent, that my family certainly never talked about, if they even remembered it, and all of her attributes were attributes I had, or wanted to have. Yes, she was me.

I've never been interested in online role-playing, but I think I'll give that inner child playground a try.

My inner child is a 12-year-old girl much like sweet little Amy Rose. :)

She likes to be goofy, loves her friends, and loves to be cute and sweet.

And, somewhat sadly, I was born male...

(The quiz said mine was 6, but I disagree.)

Shooting Star

My inner child is a pissed-off 15-year-old who is appalled by the conceited and selfish nature that prevails in suburbia and beyond and can only watch as these lemmings are consumed by their self-interest. Right now, I am envisioning myself jettisoning out of this cesspool and charging into the future-and never looking back.

PhoenixAbomination

1062436747_sixteen.jpg

My inner child is sixteen years old!Life's not fair! It's never been fair, but while adults might just accept that, I know something's gotta change. And it's gonna change, just as soon as I become an adult and get some power of my own.

1062440431_ten.jpg

My inner child is ten years old!The adult world is pretty irrelevant to me. Whether I'm off on my bicycle (or pony) exploring, lost in a good book, or giggling with my best friend, I live in a world apart, one full of adventure and wonder and other stuff adults don't understand.

But I'm gonna go check out that playground now :D

(Although, I'm bio female, and I was thinking around a 7 year old boy.)

TheOtherDibbler

Not sure if this counts as an 'inner child' it doesn't sound like what some of you have described, but ever since I Was a kid I've been of the opinion that 'inside' I'm something of a cross between a 10 year old (the perfect age) - innocent, smart, imaginative, full of fun and a 35 year old - mature, sensible, logical. I never understood or wanted any part of 'normal' teenage activities or the sorts of things people in their early twenties tend to do. I've never really understood or connected with teenagers in any way, even when I was one. As a child I never wanted to grow up, but inside I think I've always been at least a little bit 'grown up'. But I still like to play dress up, I read the same comics I read as a child and tend to steer away from the more 'adult' ones (featuring extreme violence, 'adult themes' and so on). I still like cartoons (again, avoiding the 'adult' ones) and I just bought myself the most gorgeous toy dragon you ever saw, he's currently sitting up on the back of my armchair having a bit of a look around, he arrived yesterday and I spent a lot of time hugging him before I went to bed. So I am both the child and the adult, as I have ever been, although 'adultness' is starting to win out over 'childness' in general life (as in I'm now more interested in keeping house than playing with dolls and such).

But how boring would life be to be never a child anymore? To simply 'grow up' amd grow out of being a child altogether. That would suck.

ChildOfTheLight

Dibbler, you sound a lot like me!

As a child, I swore never to become an apathetic adult, never to forget the injustices being done to me, and never to forget that they truly were injustices. At 20, I'm succeeding so far, but ask me again when I'm 30 -- I'm not that far removed from them.

I was never interested in "teen things" like getting drunk, being in social cliques in high school, doing random stupid crap in high school, or going to stupid parties. I said so many times in high school that I was already more mature than most people ever got.

I'm in college now, and not interested in frat parties, getting drunk, clubbing, hooking up, etc.

I still love learning new things, daydreaming, playing board games (only those that are largely skill, though) and all that. I want a properly-sized stuffed animal to sleep with. Currently I use a pillow.

Freed_Spirit

Hi all - newbie here. My inner child is 8 years old. She reminds me not to get too cynical and to look at this amazing world with wonder and joy. I look after her by not showing her the news and keeping her fed and warm. Most of the time we get on fine, but she gets really distressed when someone treats me poorly and upsets me. So I practice meditation to try and be strong for her.

Most of the time I let her out to play, she's way more fun than me. We both love watching fireworks too! She enjoyed reading "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff, because he describes the wise as Children Who Know, filled with light and happiness, looking and talking like children. She thinks she's doing fine and that I need her, and I agree.

PS These days I cheerfully describe myself as "completely crazy but harmless."

I used to have a "child in my head", like an alter ego, simply because as adult life fell upon me it seemed so dreary and hard... I needed someone to keep me sane!

Well, whether that kept me sane or not is open to question, but now pushing 45 the child pops up only at appropriate moments, when I need to be creative or things strike me as being funny. Otherwise I stay in credit at the bank, never take days off work and am responsible as to standard adult duties towards society and others - yawn.

I often meet people much younger than me who are so set in their ways it's a shame - keep a fresh outlook on life where possible - that's one thing I intend to keep doing.

• 2 months later...
Mb Loves Batman

i actually know they are inside and i talk to them. they listen. not at the same time but at separate times. one about 12 and the other about 6. when i get depressed they seem to come out and it's a comfort cause - k, this may sound nuts - i tell them not to worry, that i will take care of them and protect them. they are me when i was young. they look and feel like me and i am them but older now, like a mother to them vowed to be sure they are safe. they live in darkness inside of me. quiet. they sometimes are scared but i talk them into trusting me for protection.

although in the outside world I wonder if it's them that rebels against authority or rude people (bullies). they love music as I always have and i can be those ages any time and play around with my kids at their ages on their levels. dancing, singing, jumping on them. not normal for a mom i guess. but what's normal. i was afraid to talk about this to anyone because i was afraid that people would judge me. i have an appearance of a very grounded, grown up professional but in reality - grownups are boring. most people my age are already tired. I am 46 but feel soooo young. although i do act my age in public. at home i am a mom and take responsibility as an adult - but my personality is very child like. i don't ever want to grow up. i like my imagination, my creativity, my passions. i want to believe in love without sex - that i can fall madly in crush with my asexual prince and live forever in peace. i guess i'm a childlike dreamer still.

Freed_Spirit
i guess i'm a childlike dreamer still.

You're beautiful, is what you are!

What a lovely post.

I'm a firm believer in the difference between childish and child-like. I mindfully cultivate the latter.

:cake:

Nah, I dont have an inner child - I am my 60yrold self.

What I *do* have are interests that are considered childlike by - other humans.

For instance, I collect weird toys & games & comics (and really enjoy 'em. My family gives them to me too.) I love cartoons & anime. I fly kites for fun.

LoneHowler

1062440431_ten.jpg

My inner child is ten years old!

The adult world is pretty irrelevant to me. Whether I'm off on my bicycle (or pony) exploring, lost in a good book, or giggling with my best friend, I live in a world apart, one full of adventure and wonder and other stuff adults don't understand.

yep I would have said ten as a ten year old girl I loved dressing in costumes playing with transformers watching cartoons and reading comic books

Now as a 31 year old woman I like dressing in costumes, looking forward to the transformers movie, and I still have my comic book collection and watching cartoons

I am such a geek

http://pics.livejournal.com/lonehowler/pic/00043y0f

Mine is 6 too! Is that why I love autumn and kicking in the leaves and jumping in puddles and making snowmen and playing snowballs and flying a kite????????

I think mine is just same as other people but I dont have a specific inner child that has an age.

But some people say I do have some innocence like a kid at times...

Enjoying things like a kid, makin some games out of it when I'm bored. Thats what people are supposed to do if they're bored out of their mind by being productive and making the best out of things.

I think I am probably closest to Islander in this regard.

I am the age that I am, and I have the interests that I want to have. If other people consider my interests to be childish then that is THEIR problem, not mine.

I collect rocks (I often lick them first to see if they will be pretty when they are cleaned up.) I pick up or catch bugs and snakes and other critters just to look at them, happily get dirty, climb trees and do all sorts of things that most other 50-something women find distasteful or strange.

They run from snakes and spiders - I run from pictures of their grandchildren!

-GB

• 4 weeks later...

Love this topic! But have never thought of myself as having an inner child. I just see adulthood as being able to do all the things you wanted to do as a child, but weren't allowed to, because it was dangerous/stupid/embarrassing. Whoopee! Now I'm an adult - I can skate round the supermarket on a trolley, stay up all night, eat ice cream for breakfast, travel on impulse to see what's on the other side of that mountain instead of going to work. It's up to me! No one else can be harmed by my childlikeness (is that a word :?: should be)

It's great being my definition of an adult. You don't need an inner child.

When people say 'when are you going to grow up and settle down?' what they mean is, when are you going to saddle yourself with lots of debts for things you don't need, get boring and dull and start existing instead of living. Never! Never! Never! As Ian Paisley was fond of saying.... :mrgreen:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, Ziff, hope you don't mind but I posted this on the 'Crimnal Minds' message board...people are having fun with it there too.

• 2 weeks later...
Tanwen Wrote:

Hey, Ziff, hope you don't mind but I posted this on the 'Crimnal Minds' message board...people are having fun with it there too.

Go for it. The more people that have fun, the better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

HA HA HA HA I am constantly NOT acting my own age. Oh boy the mind is willing but the old bod is sinking in it's heels! But I still skip, whistle and chew bubblegum!! I hate shoes and still love the feel of mud between the toes. I stop and watch birds fly, watch spiders weave a web, and can't resist a good icecream cone. I used to garden in the buff when I lived off the grid but unfortunately my neighbors in the city would just not relate! and oh my, its not a pretty picture anymore! ha ha ha.

Archived