Resource against street harassment

weird elf

TW, obviously. The site has multiple TWs too, and all videos play on mute until you unmute them.

https://www.standup-international.com/gb/en/

The page shows examples of street harassment and what each of us can do both as a victim or a bystander, and it has a mini training thing included too. Worth checking out IMO.

Yeah; I've seen videos like that. It's just that, unfortunately, they don't help me or others like me who live in rural areas or smaller cities (and don't go to bars, busy places, or live in large, busy cities, where there are a lot of people around), where there aren't others around when drivers like to shout and swear at me or honk from there vehicles, then, quickly, drive off, where they won't hear me say anything, and I can't even read their license plate (or, when there are other drivers around, they have their windows rolled up and can't hear anything, or, they hear other drivers honk, but don't do anything...or, perhaps, they don't understand what the driver's honking meant and thought, they were just trying to let me know, as a pedestrian or cyclist, that they were behind me).

Also, it hasn't helped in stores, where there aren't others around; even a couple of young employees working in a department thought it was okay to laugh and gossip about me for my appearance and how one of them said they couldn't tell what gender I was.

There were a few times where I was being bullied as a child by family members in stores, and other adults were watching, in aisles, but they just stared (I guess they probably thought I must've misbehaved and deserved it).

I've gotten used to and accepted that others don't care about me being harassed, that I'm a stranger to others, etc.

I've noticed that, occasionally, people in my area only like to get involved and offer me their help of offering me a ride when I don't need their help because I'm not being harassed by anyone and I'm just exercising alone.

I'll have to check out the videos in depth when I'm back at my laptop, but this is interesting. It may be a result of the communities I was raised in, but I can safely say I've never once seen (at least IRL) a man do something I would definitely consider harassment towards a woman. Strangely enough I've seen it from women towards men, especially with older women towards younger men. Maybe that discrepancy is a lack of awareness or men being better at hiding it around here, but it's been my experience.

Archived