Lord Jade Cross

I guess someone could potentially feel the same dissociation/fear from looking down at their body (unless it’s more related to their face/eyes)?

Lord Jade Cross

Disassociation in the form of feeling like your on autopilot happens too,but I wonder if its less shocking as seeing your reflection and not recognizing it

quadfasciata

I think it definitely could happen, but I don't think it would have that same bite as seeing your own face and not recognizing it. Then again, you would go longer without noticing, so when you do, it might be stronger. It's an intresting thought.

Minnevolved

From what I’ve experienced, that fear isn’t really based on what you see. I mean, it can be, but I sometimes get that feeling because I DON’T see. I think it’s kind of an instinct thing maybe?

Anthracite_Impreza

I've never recognised my reflection, it's not me in the slightest, and I avoid it as much as I possibly can. It's not fear so much as despondency.

My dissociative episodes have nothing to do with looking at myself, so... yes I'd still feel it.

Profile Has Been Vacated
1 hour ago, Comrade Jade Cross said:

Curious thought that came to mind after pondering a recent episode, I guess you could call it.

When we disassociate, one of the more frightening things to do is look in a mirror because we feel that someone/something else is staring back. But could we feel that same disassociation/fear, if we never looked at a mirror again?

It could. I think about blind people I have known over the years. Some have learned to see differently but never needed a mirror. But yes, some did experience some dissociation on other lines that the vision we often take for granted.

Yes, because most humans have capacity to recreate images and situations in their heads that can provoke the same emotional response as the actual experience. Maybe the intensity won't be the exact same, but it'll still be there.

Take as an example someone who has a fear of bees. Their fear is only triggered when they're in presence of a bee, but even just thinking about bees can cause that type of negative response.

Archived