What to you call those candies on sticks?

spencexists

Lollipops or suckers?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you call those candies on sticks lollipops, suckers, or something else?

• Lollipops
    • Suckers
    • something else (comment)

spencexists

So my Uncle is really nice and is always offering my sister and I candy for some reason, I just got back from his house and this time he offered us lollipops but instead of saying "Hey you want some lollipos?" he said "Hey you want some suckers?" and it got me thinking, do you say lollipops or suckers or something else and where are you from? Cause hes from Kentucky and my grandma says suckers and shes from wisconsin/sweden so I'm wondering if its regional

It is regional. I was born in LA, and always heard and said lollipops. But I was in Missouri and Virginia for a few years and that's when I heard people say "sucker" for the first time and I was super confused. 

spencexists

Also I feel the need to add for some reason that my uncle was saying when he was a kid in Kentucky he would go and buy a bunch of firecrackers with his friends and cut them open and make a mega firecracker, and this was fine except my older brother was there and he already has a problem with...safety i guess, he used to make firecrakcers in his room and set them off on the hill, his hobbies are mountain biking and fucking GOLD PANNING which isn't dangerous just fucking WEIRD

everywhere and nowhere

Where I come from, it's called "lizak". ;) But in English absolutely "lollipop", I figured out much later that some people call them suckers and I anyway always considered this word an insulting way to describe a person.

By the way, "Lollypop", with a "y", was a cute platformer game from 1994. Th protagonist is a winded-up doll who throws little lollipops as defense and wants to get to Candy Land. ;) While I'm mostly into adventure games, platformers were the first games I ever played, when I didn't have my own computer yet, and I like those which are a) retro, b) varied, c) 2D and pixely :P and d) simple enough for the double-left-handed (or allow cheating :P) - it's not like I truly care about dishonestly completing it ;), I just want to see all sceneries. Yes, that's another correct use for the word "sucker": "While I lack visual imagination, I'm nevertheless a sucker for eye candy". ;)

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Oh my, I love this kind of graphics. Old, but varied platformers such as "Lollypop", "Prehistorik", "Zool", "Fire & Ice - Cool Coyote", "Fury of the Furries", "Hocus Pocus", and also the Dizzy games (but they are first of all adventure games) - for me look much cuter than all the 3D.

everywhere and nowhere

And nother "by the way": there is a Polish network of shops known as Candy Manufacture (Manufaktura Cukierków) and they make lollipops and hard candies - with free demonstrations of candy-making!

Here's their classic "M flavour" lollipop, named like this because it has the flavour of five fruits which begin with the letter "M": melon, mango, marakuja (passionfruit), morela (apricot) and malina (raspberry):

spacer.png

and a rose-shaped lollipop:

spacer.png

But I prefer their candies because it's fascinating how they are able to create all these tiny patterns inside. Although, I know how it's done, I have seen it during demonstrations: first they form the shape from big chunks of flaroured and coloured caramell mass and then they squeeze and twist it at the end and start pulling to turn the whole huge chunk into a narrow, elongated caramel "cable" - and then they cut it into small pieces. Here are for example their flower mix, emoji mix and berry mix:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I read 'candles on sticks' and was very confused

But hey look I Googled it and it actually exists 

ab2ff32c02b8369d6cb087dd6cfc79b1.jpg

Oberon Jasper

I say both. Depends on how I'm feeling. I'm more prone to sucker, but I say lollipop too.

(Also, misread the title as Candles on Sticks and was incredibly confused til I actually read the thread)

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, Rynn said:

I read 'candles on sticks'

I did exactly the same.

Suckers. I’m Canadian, but I’m sure it varies from province to province. 

We call them suckers where I live.

5 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

spacer.png

i love those!

---

anywho, i call them lolipops (canada)

i thought suckers was a british version of it, lol

I also read the title as candles on sticks n i was llike, uh ok? Lolipops? 

It's been a long time since I had to concern myself with what that kind of candy was called, but I think "sucker" would have been usual among Anglophones in the town where I grew up (northern Ontario, Canada).  "Lollipop" would have been recognized, but not used in conversation.

It might be generational as well as regional.

I've heard it both ways.

I can't say it comes up much in my daily life, but I think I'd be more prone to say "suckers". Might depend on the informality of the situation. Lollipop seems a bit more formal (maybe even sort of old-fashioned?) to me. 

11 hours ago, Ally123 said:

its regional

We call them lollies, lollipops, and suckers. Depending on what they look like.

A lollipop or lolli is a fancy swirly one and a sucker a is a flat simple one colour sweet on a stick.

'Lollipop' or 'lolly'... I've definitely never said 'sucker' in my life, lol. I don't know anyone around here who would say that.

I can't say the word "sucker" with a straight face, because I'm apparently five.

Lollipop lollipop
Oh lolli lolli lolli, lollipop, lollipop
Oh lolli lolli lolli, lollipop, lollipop
Oh lolli lolli lolli, lollipop ...

I call them lollipops, unless we're talking about a specific brand, like Tootsie Pop, Blow Pops, or Chupa-Chups, etc.

hqdefault.jpg

Addendum:  A quick search of amazon.ca for "sucker" returned both the candy and, um, assorted sex toys (as well as the usual completely random junk).  "Lollipop" returned only the candy.  "Suçon" (French), which was the other term I recalled from childhood, returned mostly candy and the odd pacifier (which I think is technically supposed to be "suçette").  Make of that what you will.

($DEITY only knows what Amazon is going to recommend to me now—the last lot included a book called Latin for Gardeners, never mind that I have never viewed anything remotely gardening-related on there, and only one or two books tangetially Latin-related . . .)

Sarah-Sylvia

Might sound weird but I prefer suckers.

In french they're called sucettes or sucons, which is closer to suckers.  (the c has an accent at the bottom and sounds like double s)
I'm used to sucons because that's what we call them in our local french, which directly translated I guess would be 'suck-em' or 'lets-suck-it', funnily enough :D

If you ask for a sucon in france though they'll think you're asking them to give you a hickey XD.

J. van Deijck
11 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Where I come from, it's called "lizak".

This. And where I live now, it's apparently called lolly.

If I use English, though, it's indeed lollipop and I haven't even known there were other words to name it :D

4 hours ago, daveb said:

Octopuses have suckers...

dd195do-eab389d3-b4f1-4f0f-8063-edb11de1

A bit off topic, but this reminded me of a dream I had where an octopus kept grabbing cigarettes mid air that I was trying to throw to someone and started smoking them all under water

I call them suckers. 

I also call the non-fruit-bearing branches of a tomato plant "suckers", because all they do is suck energy from the plant, so you break them off to get the plant to produce more tomatoes. 

SorryNotSorry

As a diabetic, I call them just one more thing which is off-limits to me.

everywhere and nowhere
On 6/11/2021 at 12:37 PM, Rynn said:

I read 'candles on sticks' and was very confused

But hey look I Googled it and it actually exists 

ab2ff32c02b8369d6cb087dd6cfc79b1.jpg

Looks like a ready-made idea for pride candles...

Archived