New Moderator Needed: Philosophy, Politics, and Science: Nominations

Kelly

Join the team!

If you think you would be interested in being the new Philosophy, Politics, and Science Moderator, throw cookies, cakes, your hat, turnip, or whatever you have into the ring. Just be sure to make it clear that you wish to run.

Eligibility requirements include being a member for at least 6 months, and having at least 100 posts that are not in the Just for Fun or Welcome Lounge forums. You also cannot run with an active, current, warning.

Also, see the following for election rules:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/90514-rules-and-procedure-for-elections/

Voting will be by a vote of confidence. A bio is required to be PMed to me by voting time.

You can run for only one office at a time.

This is the timeline for this election:

Thursday, 10 June to Thursday, 17 June: Nominations.

Thursday, 17 June to Sunday, 20 June: Dedicated Q&A period.

Sunday, 20 June to Sunday, 27 June: Voting.

'Philosophy, is the talk on a cereal box,

Religion, is a smile on a dog..."

good luck to everyone in advance. I never cease to be amazed at all the time and dedication that is being invested in a mod position. Thank you all for your work, making this place a safe and entertaining hang out. 

Maybe I'll do it, maybe

i'm not one for the sciences tho, but gl to anyone who wants to!!!

1 minute ago, A User said:

Maybe I'll do it, maybe

i'm not one for the sciences tho, but gl to anyone who wants to!!!

If you’re interested I’d encourage you to go for it. I’d say overall it’s mostly politics with less philosophy and science.

Just now, Iam9man said:

If you’re interested I’d encourage you to go for it. I’d say overall it’s mostly politics with less philosophy and science.

neither am i a politics person, lol

i might not, but we'll see

The fact that politics has been bunched up with science there demonstrates pretty much what's most wrong with the world at the moment, and why I have little interest in throwing anything in the ring either.

Just a reminder, this thread is for nominating yourself or asking questions about the position. It's not really for posting why you aren't running.

This vacancy has come up as I’ve decided to step down as PPS Moderator.

If you have any questions about moderating this forum (or moderating generally) feel free to ask here or drop me a PM 😎

I do want to know what moderators do! I see y’all around sometimes but I don’t quite get your ‘job’. I don’t qualify to present myself nor do I have much time right now, but it may be something interesting to consider for the future.

Also, as a side note, how do I write PM’s? 😅 

Sarah-Sylvia
7 minutes ago, Hurts said:

I do want to know what moderators do! I see y’all around sometimes but I don’t quite get your ‘job’. I don’t qualify to present myself nor do I have much time right now, but it may be something interesting to consider for the future.

Also, as a side note, how do I write PM’s? 😅 

Moderators make sure that things are running smoothly in the topics and that no one is breaking the site's policies. We do some extra things as well like moving threads to the sections they would belong. And we participate in reports and policies being made or reviewed in the backroom.
We each have focused areas of the forum that we keep up with to make sure things are going well, though users are encouraged to report problems as well in case anything is missed or hasn't been gotten to yet.

You can also check out this page for a bit of info:
https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/74462-mod-and-admin-roles/

To PM, go to a user's page (by clicking on their name), and there's a button that says 'Message' not too far from the top.

On 6/13/2021 at 3:32 PM, Sarah-Sylvia said:

Moderators make sure that things are running smoothly in the topics and that no one is breaking the site's policies. We do some extra things as well like moving threads to the sections they would belong. And we participate in reports and policies being made or reviewed in the backroom.
We each have focused areas of the forum that we keep up with to make sure things are going well, though users are encouraged to report problems as well in case anything is missed or hasn't been gotten to yet.

You can also check out this page for a bit of info:
https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/74462-mod-and-admin-roles/

To PM, go to a user's page (by clicking on their name), and there's a button that says 'Message' not too far from the top.

Maybe giving a bit more of a comprehensive answer might help prospective mods? While your answer is a very nice overview, it's also very general and it doesn't really highlight what sort of mental and emotional commitment someone is taking on by becoming a mod, mostly because general members of AVEN don't know what "participate in reports and policies being made or reviewed in the backroom" actually entails or even means. 

Janus the Fox

As suggested, since Policy is my domain, what I like to se is Staff either bringing forward an idea, any idea into the policy forum, suggest Drafts if it’s a ToS change, explain if such a policy is needed or not, a feature or a process we’ve never thought about or to update on something, anywhere or contribute toward the discussions.  

It isn’t mandatory to participate, but more the merrier, more votes, more drafts, more ideas the better.  I’ll guide on this process of course.  Over time the further a staff member gains experiences, the more a staff member maybe able to see for policy changes.  Of course, check my policy list first to see if it isn’t in discussion or it’s soon to be.  

Add the idea and possible change into a thread, I’ll table it, open it for discussion, vote on it, draft changes and implement the changes.  Each successful change is reviewed one year and two years time.  Each policy itself may either become a ongoing project or be listed for Declass.  Once declassed, it’s forever part of AVEN history for all members to read.

Sarah-Sylvia
2 hours ago, .Lia said:

Maybe giving a bit more of a comprehensive answer might help prospective mods? While your answer is a very nice overview, it's also very general and it doesn't really highlight what sort of mental and emotional commitment someone is taking on by becoming a mod, mostly because general members of AVEN don't know what "participate in reports and policies being made or reviewed in the backroom" actually entails or even means. 

When I applied to be mod, I also felt that maybe there could be a lot more info given to what being a mod entails. I think there's one more thread besides the one I shared that talks about it, but even then I wasn't sure I knew everything. So maybe that could be another project to work on. In the meantime, if anyone has questions they can ask them and admods can answer them.

The main thing a mod does is read up on what's going on in their focused forum section(s), like here it's for the PPS section. You keep up and see if anything is going haywire so that it can be handled (can be a few times per day or whatever works).  You can handle those appropriately or also create  a report that all other admods can participate in to help with the decision on what to do. And of course you participate in the other reports under review when they come up. That can be offering your thoughts, ideas, and then deciding democratically on what the solution should be. (And more serious cases should take team input)

Participating in policies is less of a focus but  it's a bit like with reports but take longer because it's more general and about how certain rules or decisions will be taken in the future. The admins take care of a lot around that, but since it affects mods too it can be worth chiming in.

I feel like the problem with saying "if you have questions, we can answer them" is that the layperson doesn't really know what questions to ask. This post isn't meant to point fingers at any one person, and I don't really expect anything to change in regards to this, it's just thoughts. I feel like I could probably write a book about what being an admod entails, but I'm just too lazy and jaded.

Sarah-Sylvia
4 minutes ago, .Lia said:

I feel like the problem with saying "if you have questions, we can answer them" is that the layperson doesn't really know what questions to ask. This post isn't meant to point fingers at any one person, and I don't really expect anything to change in regards to this, it's just thoughts. I feel like I could probably write a book about what being an admod entails, but I'm just too lazy and jaded.

It's something to consider for future elections if there's some more info that could be shared it might help others too who don't know what to ask.

WünderBâhr

Being a staff member definitely requires a commitment with time and effort, in general. The forums can vary on how much attention is necessary, but it's also about engaging the community. So, it helps if you like the forum you're nominating for, but it is far from the only option as shuffling from/to forums can be a thing, as well. 

Becoming a Moderator means checking in, keeping a watchful eye for reports and anything that could potentially go awry/need de-escalation (and lead to reports). This entails getting to know the Terms of Service, usual practice/procedures for managing threads and adhering to a Code of Conduct. This can include tasks like PMing members, posting in threads (held to higher standards), managing forum reports, and other general responsibilities as laid out in linked threads/above posts. Communication with fellow Admods is key, so everyone is on the same page with what is going on, no matter the forum. 

Sometimes, it can be tedious; especially the small stuff (honestly, other details you find out about once you get elected and can see the bigger picture). It can also be stressful when threads get heated or conflict between opposing opinions arises, but you have a team to help support you each step of the way. And it's also good to note the positive! Encouraging and/or acknowledging awesome posts, or thanking members for their input can also be great ways to help guide discussions and get to know people within the community!

Confidence, reliability, understanding how to manage your time, a general sense of self-awareness (also for mental health purposes) and a willingness to learn/communicate are all traits & skills that will be helpful as you join the ranks. It's perfectly okay to feel unsure, and if you ask several of the Admods, they might tell you their experiences in those early days. We have an awesome team of pretty nifty individuals. If anyone has the inclination of joining them and helping AVEN out, I sincerely hope they do. :)

12 hours ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

It's something to consider for future elections if there's some more info that could be shared it might help others too who don't know what to ask.

I totally agree! Thanks @.Lia for bringing this point up. I'm not sure if anything I've written helps with that, but it's definitely worth looking into. 

I probably shouldn't ruin this by saying that both times I ran as mod, that there may have been rum involved 😄

lost female soul

This one looks really hard thank you to the people running. Super interesting topic!   I love biomedical ethics.

Archived