All Kinds of Aces (A magazine to bring awareness about asexuality)

KitGrace

Hey guys.

As we all are aware, Ace representation is pretty much non exisitant in the media. I feel rather than asking the media to give us representation, we should create our own representation in the media. With this goal in mind, We're putting together a free magazine to help raise asexual awareness.
What Ace related content would you like to see in the such a magazine? 

we are accepting story, poetry and art submissions for the debut Issue of All Kinds of Aces.
All you have to is send us your work via email and include the following information 
    1. The name you want to appear in the magazine
    2.  Any contact information you would like us to include
     3. Where you are from.
Send your submissions to graceandcompany.q8@gmail.com
Deadline: August 1 
If you'd like to share your experiences with us please contact us on the above email.

Please be sure to share this post. 

everywhere and nowhere

I am very interested in a certain topic (obviously, not exclusively this one): anti-asexual conversion "therapy" (I insist that this is a better spelling, to highlight that conversion "therapy" is not therapy). Because the harms of homophobic conversion "therapy" are widely known and there is a movement underway to ban it - but a much less known fact is that something which amounts to conversion "therapy" is being performed on asexuals as well. People who practice it are a separate "circuit" from that in which homophobic conversion "therapy" happens, they may very well condemn it just like I do - but, by operating on an outdated understanding of human sexuality which considers sexual non-desire "A Problem" and doesn't recognise asexuality as a separate orientation, they are doing very real harm. So my dream is to have us jump on the bandwagon and lead to a ban on ace-to-allo conversion "therapy" as well. (This could also, obviously, be a breakthrough in having asexuality fully recognised as a fourth orientation - sexologists would have to recognise it if they were suddently banned from pushing asexuals to "liberate themselves from sexual repression". :twisted:) In fact, I have seen a forum member who has been subjected to this kind of "therapy" and wanted to file a complaint - I wrote that I believe that her case has a judicial precedent potential and, with help of LGBT+ organisations, could be used to introduce a ban on anti-asexual conversion "therapy". Unfortunately, I received no responses, neither from herself nor from other people. Highlighting the issue of conversion "therapy" in the magazine could help us jump on the bandwagon.

10 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I am very interested in a certain topic (obviously, not exclusively this one): anti-asexual conversion "therapy" (I insist that this is a better spelling, to highlight that conversion "therapy" is not therapy). Because the harms of homophobic conversion "therapy" are widely known and there is a movement underway to ban it - but a much less known fact is that something which amounts to conversion "therapy" is being performed on asexuals as well. People who practice it are a separate "circuit" from that in which homophobic conversion "therapy" happens, they may very well condemn it just like I do - but, by operating on an outdated understanding of human sexuality which considers sexual non-desire "A Problem" and doesn't recognise asexuality as a separate orientation, they are doing very real harm. So my dream is to have us jump on the bandwagon and lead to a ban on ace-to-allo conversion "therapy" as well. (This could also, obviously, be a breakthrough in having asexuality fully recognised as a fourth orientation - sexologists would have to recognise it if they were suddently banned from pushing asexuals to "liberate themselves from sexual repression". :twisted:) In fact, I have seen a forum member who has been subjected to this kind of "therapy" and wanted to file a complaint - I wrote that I believe that her case has a judicial precedent potential and, with help of LGBT+ organisations, could be used to introduce a ban on anti-asexual conversion "therapy". Unfortunately, I received no responses, neither from herself nor from other people. Highlighting the issue of conversion "therapy" in the magazine could help us jump on the bandwagon.

I totally agree that is the most urgent topic. I have a personal experience, as a young adult in my birth country, there was a widespread literature and books about health and well being that stressed the importance of sex in a healthy life. They were translated into Amharic (my native language) from English books. I did not have access to internet at the time and did not have the chance to meet other Asexuals. So I truly believed forcing myself to have sex (just like doing exercise, eating healthy etc) was good to my health. I still experience flashbacks, and I have almost real like dreams as if my abuse happened yesterday. I woke up from such a dream the other day, with my heart pounding and feeling anxious and stressed. it takes me a long time to relax and start my day on days like these. So yes, I went through a sort of conversion therapy during my early 20s, forcing myself and trying hard to find ways to enjoy sex as other people. I do not know how to overcome this trauma even now. Only after coming across AVEN I realized I am sex repulsed Aro ACE. That explains when my mum mentioned my ex (long before I found about Asexuality), I burst into emotional meltdown. My whole family was shocked at the reaction and we only recently came to understand the source of it. 

So yes, it is a sensitive topic. 

5 hours ago, KathyHoh said:

I totally agree that is the most urgent topic. I have a personal experience, as a young adult in my birth country, there was a widespread literature and books about health and well being that stressed the importance of sex in a healthy life. They were translated into Amharic (my native language) from English books. I did not have access to internet at the time and did not have the chance to meet other Asexuals. So I truly believed forcing myself to have sex (just like doing exercise, eating healthy etc) was good to my health. I still experience flashbacks, and I have almost real like dreams as if my abuse happened yesterday. I woke up from such a dream the other day, with my heart pounding and feeling anxious and stressed. it takes me a long time to relax and start my day on days like these. So yes, I went through a sort of conversion therapy during my early 20s, forcing myself and trying hard to find ways to enjoy sex as other people. I do not know how to overcome this trauma even now. Only after coming across AVEN I realized I am sex repulsed Aro ACE. That explains when my mum mentioned my ex (long before I found about Asexuality), I burst into emotional meltdown. My whole family was shocked at the reaction and we only recently came to understand the source of it. 

So yes, it is a sensitive 

I would really like to know more about your experiences. Please let me know if you would like to share your story. 

Black Dragon
On 6/8/2021 at 2:57 AM, KitGrace said:

With this goal in mind, We're putting together a free magazine to help raise asexual awareness.

Hi KitGrace. Well done for undertaking such an important project. I hope you don't mind my asking, but who is "we"? Is this a group of people from the AVEN forum? University students? I'm curious, please let me know :) 

Totally second visiting the conversion therapy - we're not people who were formerly sexual and have to overcome a traumatic experience to enjoy sex again.  Would also like to see an article dealing with myths around aces - the whole "you had trauma" thing, the "you'll change your mind when you meet the right person" and my personal favorite "if you'd work out more and wear more makeup you'd be able to get a boyfriend and forget all that crap."

Definitely an article showing solid ace relationships - I think people get confused because 1% isn't a lot of the population so they don't have a basis for comparison. It's more likely for people to see straight and gay people in various relationships so they are slowly becoming more accepted. It's not as common to know an ace guy down the street, or see that your barista is out as ace. Hearteningly, I just graduated from University of Washington - Tacoma and found a welcoming group of aces in the Creative Writing program. Maybe they're some of your future contributors. What a fantastic idea this magazine is!  :)

Yay!!! We believe in the more is merrier ideology. You guys are welcome to join us at anytime. Just email us at graceandcompany.q8@gmail.com 

We would appricate any and all forms of participation 

On 6/9/2021 at 8:19 PM, Black Dragon said:

Hi KitGrace. Well done for undertaking such an important project. I hope you don't mind my asking, but who is "we"? Is this a group of people from the AVEN forum? University students? I'm curious, please let me know :) 

We are a group of Aces who met through Instagram and reddit. We are hoping to add more aces to the team - either long term or short term basis. 

On 6/11/2021 at 7:57 PM, Roma said:

Totally second visiting the conversion therapy - we're not people who were formerly sexual and have to overcome a traumatic experience to enjoy sex again.  Would also like to see an article dealing with myths around aces - the whole "you had trauma" thing, the "you'll change your mind when you meet the right person" and my personal favorite "if you'd work out more and wear more makeup you'd be able to get a boyfriend and forget all that crap."

Definitely an article showing solid ace relationships - I think people get confused because 1% isn't a lot of the population so they don't have a basis for comparison. It's more likely for people to see straight and gay people in various relationships so they are slowly becoming more accepted. It's not as common to know an ace guy down the street, or see that your barista is out as ace. Hearteningly, I just graduated from University of Washington - Tacoma and found a welcoming group of aces in the Creative Writing program. Maybe they're some of your future contributors. What a fantastic idea this magazine is!  :)

Yay!!! We believe in the more is merrier ideology. You guys are welcome to join us at anytime. Just email us at graceandcompany.q8@gmail.com 

We would appricate any and all forms of participation 

Hey, KitGrace, I just graduated from the Creative Writing program at University of WA - Tacoma and there were a few ace's in my program. I put the AVEN website and the submission/question email on our Slack Channel (19 of us and an instructor as moderator, so we didn't just spam the universe).  I'll put this on my Golden Opportunity list also and try to come up with something worthy of your wonderful idea.  

Ooh, sounds cool. :)

• 4 months later...

Archived