Asexy Anime!

Kallan

I thought mabe a thread about asexy anime shows and characters would be good.

What made me think of this is Ah! My Goddess. When the possibility of having sex with Belldandy was pointed out to Keiichi it seemed as if he genuinely never thought about it. And when he made the wish to have his desire fullfilled, it turned out that his desire was only to hear Belldandy say that she loved him.

I love that show...

HARUHI!!!! :D

(Ouran High School Host Club)

She's the main character, who everyone thinks is actually a guy (except for the members of the Host Club) so she can work at the Club and pay off the money she owes them for knocking over that lamp.

Almost everyone in that club has a crush on her at some point, and despite all of the passes and the flirting and everything, she just doesn't care :D She values her friendship with them more than anything else (although she does go on a date with Hikaru at one point... :wink: )

She's awesome 8)

Thank you so much! I started watching this series a while back, but totally forgot its name, so I haven't seen the latter half of it. I know what to look for now!

Thank you so much! I started watching this series a while back, but totally forgot its name, so I haven't seen the latter half of it. I know what to look for now!

Ohh! I love it so much :D I"m glad you like it too ^_^

oh! Azumanga Daioh! About a bunch of high-school studnets, none of them seem to be sexual (though their teachers certainly are).

That's one of the things I like about anime; the people that look like they're going to get together often don't. (Although that's probably because the Japanese are more sexually repressed than us, not because they believe in/support asexuality). I also love the fact that they often portray friendships as being just as strong and important as sexual relationships i.e Kira and Athrun.

(Although that's probably because the Japanese are more sexually repressed than us, not because they believe in/support asexuality).

Are you serious? That's not what I've heard. ;)

(Although that's probably because the Japanese are more sexually repressed than us, not because they believe in/support asexuality).

Shall I start listing things which will likely make you think otherwise. I'd say things but I fear some AVENites might read it and break.

That opinion came from a friend of mine who has been to Japan and is now taking Asian studies at university. Popular culture does not reflect what actually happens in a society, remember.

oh! Azumanga Daioh! About a bunch of high-school studnets, none of them seem to be sexual (though their teachers certainly are).

Ahh I love that anime! Pfft, they have much more important things on their minds than sexual OR romantic relationships... like giving the perfect yawn, or the difference between escalators and elevators, or how to pet that stupid cat...

*goes on and on*

I have lived in Tokyo for 4 years, sex is everywhere, in manga, anime, books, but it is often no lived this way, many young people dont want to marry, or have kids. And I remember ads in the english magazines, of women seeking sexless partners. In hostess/host clubs sex is not acted out, its only being played with sexual energy, same goes for some of the strange fetishs. On the other end sex is a commodity, which school girls sell to get the newest fashion.

Perhaps Kino from Kino's Journey could be considered asexual. The main character doesn't get involved with anyone at all. But this also is because of the 'rules' for travelling she complies with, which is to only stay in one place for 3 days maximum and to not interfere with the culture/traditions etc. of that place (no matter how insane or wrong they may seem), so she seems emotionally distant to people. So that could be the only reason she doesnt get too involved with someone, but the fact she goes along with the rule and doesn't seem to care I guess counts for alot. There's a couple of times in the books and anime where I think she is approached (her friend gets worried she'll get married and give up travelling) but she walks away.

Kino is very tomboy/boy-ish looking and wears the clothes of a travelling man she meets though so she's rather androgynous in appearance (as to how she thinks of herself, I dont know for sure).

Theres one particular character I'd like to see her partnered with though, but for both of them travelling is their first priority so it'd be a rather distanced relationship if it ever happened (which I suppose it doesnt/wont, I dont know for sure since I havent read all the books the anime was based on).

Its also been mentioned before about the Chobits series ending, highlight the following (be warned its of course a spoiler):

Hideki finally accepts and confesses his love for Chii. It turns out however that Chii can never have sex, Hideki is asked to decide whether he still wants to be with her and his decision is yes
What made me think of this is Ah! My Goddess. When the possibility of having sex with Belldandy was pointed out to Keiichi it seemed as if he genuinely never thought about it. And when he made the wish to have his desire fullfilled, it turned out that his desire was only to hear Belldandy say that she loved him.

I love that show...

I adore this show too... although I'd never really thought of Kei as being asexual, hmm... he does seem to have the stereotypical fluster go on whenever he encounters some buxom goddess (who inevitably comes on to him) that most anime males do in harem-type series (ie Tenchi Muyo)... but true, despite one of his daydreams when initially making his wish, he's never seemed to show any signs of taking advantage of the girls he's got piling up at his doorstep. Then again, maybe he's just honorable. ...then again, thinking of my male sexual friends in that age range who are honorable, even they'd have trouble turning all that down... *cough*

I'd think Bell is asexual, really. She seems rather naive about a great deal of things, but in comparison to the other goddesses, she barely seems interested in anything romantic and is more of a nurturing character. And since the manga's been going on for a couple decades and apparently there hasn't been any sexual action between the two... hehehe. :D

And Rin... if I can say this without spoiling anything, I've never seen the end of Chobits but I have heard about that before, and I must say, that's undoubtedly the dream of so many people here... I love it that they wrote it into a show/manga like that.

• 1 month later...

She's the main character, who everyone thinks is actually a guy (except for the members of the Host Club) so she can work at the Club and pay off the money she owes them for knocking over that lamp.

Almost everyone in that club has a crush on her at some point, and despite all of the passes and the flirting and everything, she just doesn't care :D She values her friendship with them more than anything else (although she does go on a date with Hikaru at one point... :wink: )

She's awesome 8)

Note to self: watch that anime :P

Hallucigenia
Note to self: watch that anime :P

Be warned: There are a lot of random squealing fangirls who more than make up for Haruhi's asexuality (or asexual-ish-ness, or just plain obliviousness to sex). Not to mention the occasionally rather sexually charged stuff that the rest of the Host Club does in order to make their guests happy.

But if you're cool with that, it's a very fun show. 8)

• 3 months later...

Hm...

*points at "Naruto"*

Itachi and Sasuke. o.o

*points at Death Note*

Most main characters seem asexual to me. o.o

Uhm... and so on. *to lazy to think about it right now*

;P

Cowboy Bebop's Ed the hacker genius is an androgyne that never shows sexual interest but she's a bit young(13, I think?).

Haruhi's awesome :D

But reading the manga and foruming has resulted in me often wanting to bang my head against the wall as of late..

Most of what you'll hear is "It's obvious that she'll end up with Tamaki"

*I try to explain why it would be awesome that she ended up alone and asexual*

Them - But why is it called a romantic comedy then?

and then there's the manga.. I really hope the writer knows what she's doing. cause if she pulls a 'let's see how I get the other guys out of the way so I can show tru wub!" I'm gonna lose it! :evil:

I feel similarly... I watched the Ouran High School Host Club series about a month ago and LOVED it... particularly because of Haruhi's apparent asexuality. (My friend who convinced me to watch it even said, "You'll love the show! The main character is JUST LIKE YOU! You'll see!" and kept nudging me in the part where Haruhi said something about how "women, men, and looks don't really matter.")

BUT

I'm afraid to read the manga, because I'm worried it'll end up the way it often does in long-running manga--with the main character developing some kind of attraction to another character and them ending up in some predictable romance, to satisfy the loyal readers. -_-

as someone said before, the main characters of death note seem to be asexual... specially Yagami Raito (or Light) ....

I thought Haibane Renmei was a pretty asexy show. Have I said this somewhere already...?

I love how asexy some anime series can be...so often the characters that fall in love don't even kiss <3

• 2 weeks later...
Nico-Nico Friendo

What about mad-scientist Washu from 'Tenchi Muyo!'?

Does Washu ever fall in love with Tenchi (or anyone else) like the other girls do?

In her song "Washu's Science Song" (A.K.A. - "Photon, Proton, Synchroton"), she sings:

"Kagaku wa koi yori subarashii!" (Science is better than love!)

The English version of "Washu's Science Song" goes:

Sit back and listen to this song that I'm singing

Photon, proton,

synchrotron are interesting

science is better

than love can ever be

Falling in love is based on chaotic theory

Emotions are exhausting

quantum mechanics never, ever make you frown

With scientific method, imaginary walls will come tumbling down! Yeah!

WASHU: Listen, through his experiments, Heisenberg concluded

that the accurate measurement of one of two related observable quantities,such as position and momentum, produce uncertainties in the measurement of the other. He figured that the product of the uncertainties of position, andthe uncertainties of momentum, equal to or greater than h over 2pi, where h=plank's constant. It means that observations in quantum mechanics always lead to uncertainty. You understand this, don't you?

RYOKO: No, not at all.

KIYONE: I think it's hopeless.

How about that, eh? :wink:

Here are some pictures of Washu:

http://www.animeonline.net/free-wallpapers...91Washu_jpg.jpg

http://web.mit.edu/anime/www/images/sp270-...rom_glasses.gif

http://www.capcorphq.com/images/Washuu-sing.gif

oneofthesun
as someone said before, the main characters of death note seem to be asexual... specially Yagami Raito (or Light) ....

Lack of interest in sex is a sign of a psychopathic disorder...

Personally I wouldn't be proud of being anything like Light.

TeddyMiller
What about mad-scientist Washu from 'Tenchi Muyo!'?

Does Washu ever fall in love with Tenchi (or anyone else) like the other girls do?

There was one instance in her past. While Washu was a student, she fell in love, got married, and had a son. But for reasons of rank and diplomacy, her marriage was annulled and her husband left with their son. Devastated by this, Washu decided to take on the form of a 12-year-old girl, feeling that adults cared too much about status and pedigree.

Nico-Nico Friendo
There was one instance in her past. While Washu was a student, she fell in love, got married, and had a son. But for reasons of rank and diplomacy, her marriage was annulled and her husband left with their son. Devastated by this, Washu decided to take on the form of a 12-year-old girl, feeling that adults cared too much about status and pedigree.

Hmm. Interesting. Was this in 'Tenchi Muyo,' 'Tenchi Universe' or some other form of the series? They have many of the same characters, just different variations of the stories (like alternate dimensions).

TeddyMiller
Hmm. Interesting. Was this in 'Tenchi Muyo,' 'Tenchi Universe' or some other form of the series? They have many of the same characters, just different variations of the stories (like alternate dimensions).

That was in the 'Tenchi Muyo' series, in the 8th episode, 'Hello Baby' http://www.tv.com/tenchi-muyo/hello-baby/e...2078/recap.html

It's the one where they're babysitting Tenchi's cousin, baby Taro, and Washu ends up taking care of him. Washu reveals to Tenchi part of her background, that she'd been in love, got married, and had a baby of her own.

Nico-Nico Friendo

That sounds like and interesting episode. I should watch it sometime.

Well, asexual or not, Washu is still cool and my favorite character on the show. I mean, she's a mad scientist . . . can't go wrong with that! :wink:

Haha. Yeah, I kind of have to agree that even though Light/Raito doesn't display any interest in sex, even with Misa all over him all the time, I wouldn't pin it on asexuality so much as his crazy, pyschotic obsession with reinventing society.

Haha. Yeah, I kind of have to agree that even though Light/Raito doesn't display any interest in sex, even with Misa all over him all the time, I wouldn't pin it on asexuality so much as his crazy, pyschotic obsession with reinventing society.

I think he was too busy with other things to worry about a sexual relationship with Misa... :lol: :lol:

L, though, I can definitely see as being asexual. :D

• 2 weeks later...
zachcarlson

I just started watching this anime, and I got to say its pretty impressive, whoever posted it first; thank you.

Archived