I want a "designated companion."

This sounds like an amazing idea. If only it were easy to find such a person though. I'd probably not want to live with them (more inclined to a he as I'm hetero). Friends with benefits (benefits being human touch rather than sex 😄

• Like 5
imnotafreakofnature!

(*sighs dreamily*) 

Yeah, it sounds pretty good to me too. Although I'm not sure I'd like living in the same place again with someone else. Not only because, as an INFJ personality type, I really need my private space, but also because "familiarity breeds contempt," as the old saying goes.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
CaramelCoffeeCake

This is so me. It's what I've always wanted but never really knew till I realised I'm asexual. I'm 38, divorced (for 10 years now) and a sole parent to my 12 year old (no contact with ex), live alone and home educate her. I'm neuro-atypical.

Life's peaceful and simple or I could say life is boring, lonely and slow. Depends when you ask me 😆

I wouldn't mind living with the person (because I'm quite tired of being the only adult in the house) but only if we could both have our agreed separate space and communal space (because I still need and love my space...and hers too).

I've always thought that I want someone who's committed to me (and vice versa) in partnership, companionship and friendship. We share life's ups and downs together but also can have separate interests.

Not someone who has their own completely separate life and wouldn't be available when I need them (and vice versa).

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds amazing. I've been solo for so long, it would be nice to have someone to share life's little moments with..

..seems like an unrealistic fantasy after all these years, though. Luckily I'm perfectly content on my own, I got my dog to keep me company, though she's not much of a conversationalist..

I'd rather be alone than around the wrong people, but why are the right people so hard to find?

• Like 6
On 9/13/2022 at 9:47 AM, imnotafreakofnature! said:

(*sighs dreamily*) 

Yeah, it sounds pretty good to me too. Although I'm not sure I'd like living in the same place again with someone else. Not only because, as an INFJ personality type, I really need my private space, but also because "familiarity breeds contempt," as the old saying goes.

INFP here. I feel your solitude.

Solidarity for the solitary!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I want a companion too, like a best friend who just wants to do things together but also kiss and cuddle. But I wouldn't want to live with them, I need my space and alone time, it would be cool if he lived within walking distance though or the other half of a townhouse.

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...
On 12/5/2022 at 8:05 PM, GaiaGoddess said:

I want a companion too, like a best friend who just wants to do things together but also kiss and cuddle. But I wouldn't want to live with them, I need my space and alone time, it would be cool if he lived within walking distance though or the other half of a townhouse.

This is what I want too.  Honestly, I miss the emotional connection I had when I had a partner.  I have zero interest in sex.  I don't mind kissing and cuddling.  And I too like my space.  My ideal would be like a split townhouse.  I could live on oneside, they could live on the other lol

• Like 5

Is anyone experiencing this ideal?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jay williams said:

It would be nice to hear if anybody is living it. Need some hope 😅

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Cakes said:
20 hours ago, jay williams said:

It would be nice to hear if anybody is living it. Need some hope 😅

Not sure this sounds hopeful; 

I had a companion, partner, soul mate for 30+ years, and after some initial fumbling about (to have kids, which didn't happen) early on, we both concluded we were "different" and settled into an easy and wonderful partnership, pretty much like you all describe. I know I should be grateful for what I had, (and I am) but I am grieving the loss of this unique partnership, especially since I am beginning to realize I, most likely will be alone for the remainder of my life.

• Like 4
On 1/10/2023 at 8:34 AM, sea83 said:

This is what I want too.  Honestly, I miss the emotional connection I had when I had a partner.  I have zero interest in sex.  I don't mind kissing and cuddling.  And I too like my space.  My ideal would be like a split townhouse.  I could live on oneside, they could live on the other lol

YES! 🙂

• Like 2
3 hours ago, B4BEA said:

Not sure this sounds hopeful; 

I had a companion, partner, soul mate for 30+ years, and after some initial fumbling about (to have kids, which didn't happen) early on, we both concluded we were "different" and settled into an easy and wonderful partnership, pretty much like you all describe. I know I should be grateful for what I had, (and I am) but I am grieving the loss of this unique partnership, especially since I am beginning to realize I, most likely will be alone for the remainder of my life.

We males who are "different" are out there! We are not rare. Remember that gay males are also "different," and many are open to being a companion with a woman. Also, when many men reach a certain age, they become incapable of arousal. Such men could be very appreciative of an asexual or "different" woman! 

• 3 months later...

I love this idea of 'new kinds of relationships'. I want a companion. Deep connection, cuddles, snuggling and being there for each other. 

🤔 This kind of relationship needs to be more of a thing and not frowned upon so much. 

• Like 4

OK, someone with tech skills create an app for this purpose!   @BlueSky111 I wish this type of relationship were more common.  

• Like 2
On 1/13/2023 at 8:37 AM, jay williams said:

My coworker has a male friend she has known since high-school. They are roommates and spend holidays together and she makes him visit his parents, etc. But there is nothing romantic, no sex. Just friends. I'm not sure if they will spend the rest of their lives together, but for now it suits them.

• Like 5

I would very much like this sort of companionship. When I was young, I had a group of friends that I ran around with. If I was going out, it was expected that they would be coming along and vice versa. I would very much like the grown up version of that - a friend that is up for sitting on the couch or going to a matinee. Sounds heavenly.

• Like 5
BlueSky111
38 minutes ago, gryffin9 said:

I would very much like this sort of companionship. When I was young, I had a group of friends that I ran around with. If I was going out, it was expected that they would be coming along and vice versa. I would very much like the grown up version of that - a friend that is up for sitting on the couch or going to a matinee. Sounds heavenly.

Yes, wouldn't that be lovely! I expect our ancestors lived much more like that. We're not supposed to live these individualistic lives. 😕

• Like 2
On 5/7/2023 at 3:09 PM, BlueSky111 said:

Yes, wouldn't that be lovely! I expect our ancestors lived much more like that. We're not supposed to live these individualistic lives. 😕

I do believe that online life has done that to us. While it allows us to talk across states or countries, it also separates us physically.

BlueSky111
42 minutes ago, gryffin9 said:

I do believe that online life has done that to us. While it allows us to talk across states or countries, it also separates us physically.

Absolutely. That and planes. Online isn't the same at all. We need physical proximity and community. 

CaittMarr

I feel this. I have never been able to picture myself in romantic relationship. Not something I want. I don't picture myself alone though. I picture myself surrounded by good friends. I hope that I have a strong friendship that we are both committed to spending rest of our lives together. Someone to go grocery shopping with or depend on if I get sick. Somone to make life decisions with but also get separate bedrooms. I want a companion.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, CaittMarr said:

I feel this. I have never been able to picture myself in romantic relationship. Not something I want. I don't picture myself alone though. I picture myself surrounded by good friends. I hope that I have a strong friendship that we are both committed to spending rest of our lives together. Someone to go grocery shopping with or depend on if I get sick. Somone to make life decisions with but also get separate bedrooms. I want a companion.

I get it.  I’m married and I like that.  It’s kinda like a roommate.  We are going to redo our bedroom and are going to have separate beds.  If we ever do get divorced, I don’t if I would get married but it would nice to have some one that has the beliefs.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2022 at 6:44 PM, CaramelCoffeeCake said:

This is so me. It's what I've always wanted but never really knew till I realised I'm asexual. I'm 38, divorced (for 10 years now) and a sole parent to my 12 year old (no contact with ex), live alone and home educate her. I'm neuro-atypical.

Life's peaceful and simple or I could say life is boring, lonely and slow. Depends when you ask me 😆

I wouldn't mind living with the person (because I'm quite tired of being the only adult in the house) but only if we could both have our agreed separate space and communal space (because I still need and love my space...and hers too).

I've always thought that I want someone who's committed to me (and vice versa) in partnership, companionship and friendship. We share life's ups and downs together but also can have separate interests.

Not someone who has their own completely separate life and wouldn't be available when I need them (and vice versa).

Have you heard about "Mommunes," where single moms have gotten together to coparent and support one another? There are more and more forms of communal living, cohousing, coparenting, etc. these days. The toughest part is finding someone local or willing to move closer to you (or you being willing to move closer to them).

On 5/26/2021 at 11:35 AM, ashpenaz said:

I was talking to my counselor about being lonely and unmarried, and when trying to describe the sort of relationship I want, I came up with the term "designated companion." Now in my 60s, I don't plan to get married. I just want someone to hang out with. I'd like to have someone to go to movies with, maybe travel with, spend Christmas with. More than a friend--it would be a partnership. It would be someone I could be sure of when I needed someone to go somewhere with. We might live together. I can imagine two people sharing a house and being each other's emergency contact and potential caretaker. It would be nice if the world thought of us as a couple. I think asexuals need to develop new kinds of relationships, and maybe "designated companion" can serve as a model.

This is EXACTLY what I want.  I am 47, and have no idea how to find this.  It would be nice if every Asexual wanting something like this could all meet up in once place and get to know each other over a weekend and find your person.  Honestly how do you find your person if you are likely to never meet another asexual and know it, and even if you did, what is the likelyhood that the one or two asexuals that you met would be someone you truly clicked with and wanted to spend the rest of your life with?

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, diane5583 said:

... what is the likelyhood that the one or two asexuals that you met would be someone you truly clicked with and wanted to spend the rest of your life with?

This is something some people in the allosexual community do not seem to grasp. The same rules of compatibility apply to asexuals. If you do not share the same interests, politics, intellectual level, etc. then a relationship is most likely not going to work out. ACE's are hobbled by the sobering fact that perhaps only 5% of the population are ACE so the pool is limited.

• Like 4

So is anyone here in Gainesville, Florida, who wants to be friends with the idea of seeing if it turns into one of these sibling-type relationships? (I'm 37, but age is relative in most cases... I have a close friend who is 46 and another who is 61)

3 hours ago, diane5583 said:

This is EXACTLY what I want.  I am 47, and have no idea how to find this.  It would be nice if every Asexual wanting something like this could all meet up in once place and get to know each other over a weekend and find your person.  Honestly how do you find your person if you are likely to never meet another asexual and know it, and even if you did, what is the likelyhood that the one or two asexuals that you met would be someone you truly clicked with and wanted to spend the rest of your life with?

I get it.  I am still married and she has a boyfriend.  I just want to meet people that are asexual.  Be friends and you never know after that.

• Like 2