Romantic orientation title compatible with nonbinary identity?

Hades Heronwing

Hades Heronwing

I'm trans agender and likely asexual (although the asexual part is still being figured out). I'm not entirely sure what my romantic orientation is, but I'm also not sure what to call some of my options. Bi-romantic and pan-romantic feel more easily compatible with a non-cis gender identity, but homoromantic and heteroromantic certainly don't seem to work. How can I be heteroromantic if I don't have a gender to call the "opposite" of mine? On the other hand, would heteroromantic work if I'm attracted romantically to people who aren't agender? Not that I wouldn't be, but according to the logic, any gender that isn't agender is different from mine. Is any of this even making sense? I don't know. 

I think in general I just want to know if there are other names for romantic attractions that work for nonbinary identities. Or, if there's a lack of them, and it needs to be figured out. 

Sarah-Sylvia

Hii.
There are other terms that can be easier for non-binary people to use.

Andro-romantic: Attracted to men/masculinity

Gyne-romantic: Attracted to women/femininity

Hope that helps :)

Androromantic: romantically attracted to men and masculine-aligned people 

Gyneromantic: romantically attracted to women and feminine-aligned people

There’s also trixic and toric, and some other rather obscure labels I’ve seen some people use.

Sarah-Sylvia

Yeah there's micro-labels for non-binary people who're attracted to different combinations. They're less used and known about though.

spencexists

I'm non binary and I don't really know or care if its right but I just view myself as gay because I like women and non binary people and if I did like a dude then great I'm still gay because if I had to be gendered in the binary I'd be male so I'm more on the masc side of non binary does that make sense or am i just rambling?

everywhere and nowhere
14 minutes ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

Yeah there's micro-labels for non-binary people who're attracted to different combinations. They're less used and known about though.

They aren't used exclusively by non-binary people - the first time I saw it used, it was in a blog entry by a gay man. He reasoned like that: "I'm attracted to men... because I am, and not because I am a man myself. So saying what gender one is attracted to makes more sense than comparing it to one's own gender. [So, in this case "androsexual" rather than "homosexual".] You [hypothetic straight homophobic adversary] find my orientation disgusting? Hey, I have the same orientation as your wife!". He also, if I remember well, mentioned that there are more possibilities than just "male" and "female", and that also because of this the "androsexual/gynesexual" terminology makes more sense than homosexual/heterosexual".

(By the way, do you know that these terms were invented in that order? "The Norm" can only be recognised in reference to "The Deviation"! Karl-Maria Kertbeny first created the term "homosexual" and only then "heterosexual" as its logical counterpart.)

Sarah-Sylvia

@Nowhere GirlI mean super micro labels :P Since I think andro and gyne are getting popular enough. Some of ones I saw weren't 'only' for enby though, even if some were. Like Turian, which means someone male or non-binary that's attracted to male or non-binary people.

Janus the Fox

I’m the same with this, as I don’t mind a relationship with any gender, but even so, I cannot find any attractions or desires personally.  I’m a MtF Trans Agender on early HRT.

• 4 weeks later...

Why not just say you like men or women

Archived