I found a butterfly

hopeisnotlost

hopeisnotlost

Found a butterfly missing a chunk of its wing. Poor thing its gonna die. No way it'll survive like that it can't fly. I would bring it in try to care for it but I don't have the supplies and I don't know how to do that.
https://ibb.co/bsxS7qP

Anyone got any ideas on what I should do?

LogicalStroopwafel

If it can’t fly, then it’s probably not gonna survive out in the wild no 😕

I think you can feed them sugar water, but I’m afraid that that’s not gonna give it all the nutrients that it needs. I also don’t know the ratio that it would need from sugar to water.

hopeisnotlost
5 minutes ago, krusk said:

Unfortunately I just went outside to get it. It's gone. Something mustve got it.

23 minutes ago, hopeisnotlost said:

Unfortunately I just went outside to get it. It's gone. Something mustve got it.

Well, at least whatever it was that ate it got a meal.  CIrcle of life and all that.

4 minutes ago, Karst said:

Well, at least whatever it was that ate it got a meal.  CIrcle of life and all that.

Spoiler

What do you think? : Trigun

hopeisnotlost
7 minutes ago, Autumn Twilight said:

@hopeisnotlost Good on ya for trying. Your heart’s in the right place.

I found it now but staff in the group home I am in don't want me to bring it in to save it so I guess I have no choice it'll have to just be prey and die

12 minutes ago, hopeisnotlost said:

I found it now but staff in the group home I am in don't want me to bring it in to save it so I guess I have no choice it'll have to just be prey and die

While I don’t know the situation I would say blast regulations and try to sneak it in, or at least try to find it a safe outdoor place where it can be tended to.

Just thinking off the cuff here.

hopeisnotlost
23 minutes ago, Autumn Twilight said:

While I don’t know the situation I would say blast regulations and try to sneak it in, or at least try to find it a safe outdoor place where it can be tended to.

Just thinking off the cuff here.

I don't have the supplies I checked. And I also am afraid my hands aren't steady enough to fix it.

GingerRose
11 hours ago, hopeisnotlost said:

Anyone got any ideas on what I should do?

This is a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly.

They live for about 14 days.

Their mission is to mate, so depending on where it's at in its cycle, it could be on its last treds of life anyway.

It's doubtful that it will find a mate with its condition, as it's now viewed in the animal kingdom as an "honest indicator" meaning its wing communicates to other animals that it is too weak to have survived for the 14 days and it may have poor genes. I believe this is a female.

If you would like to make it 'comfortable' Place it in a fabric enclosure with breathing holes.

They feed from flower nectar from plants such as" Zinnia, dandelion, phlox, lantana, or honeysuckle.

Put a small shallow dish of water within the enclosure.

Food supplements:

A table spoon of wet mud in a shallow dish

Sugar water in a separate shallow dish

Best wishes. I suppose if not this round, it can be your guide if you are ever in similar situation.

Archived