What Worship Communities are found in your area? (by Religion)

GingerRose

GingerRose

Muslim

Protestant

Catholic

Judaism

Unitarian Universalism

(you can usually tell by the places of worship you see: mosques, churches, synagogues...)

My hometown is primarily Catholic, but there are significant minorities of Protestants, Jews, and Muslims.  There's also a decent number of Sikhs (there's one of their temples near my church).

I'm atheist. I guess, the majority of churches in my area are Baptist (so, I've been told, by a relative who's more knowledgeable about the differences between specific Christian religions), although, as an atheist whose never been in a church and didn't grow up being, specifically, taught any religion, it's not easy for me to tell the differences between places of worship, which religion they are, just from just passing by on the street; my relative had to point out the few Jewish places of worship, and I saw a few Muslim places of worship, listed online, in a certain parts of the city. I've only seen one Korean place of worship.

Purple Red Panda

I live in one of the most mutlicultural cities in the UK so most of the major religions have a community of followers here.

Blue eyes white dragon

The majority are Catholic and Baptist. The rest are just an assortment of other varieties of christian churches 

According to the internet, approximately 40% religious overall, 30% Catholic, most of the rest is various protestant and Jewish.

Close to where I live we have various Protestant Churches, a Jewish congregation, a Episcopal Church and a couple of Catholic Churches.  There is a Mosque that is a little further, but not too far.  I would have to say though the Protestant Churches are the majority in my area.

CATHOLIC 

and as far as I know that’s it

we have a mainly russian/orthodox neighbourhood, but there is like this small other church nearby that isn't orthodox

Red Sun Rises

Oh lordy...

So we have:

- A large muslim population

- Varieties of Christianity including too many to name from protestant, orthodox, and catholic branches

- Jehovah's Witnesses

- Latter Day Saints (we have a huge temple nearby that does lots of winter events)

- A few cults

- Unitarian Universalists

- A large Jewish population

- At least one Jain center

- 3-4 Sikh temples

- Several Hindu temples of different varieties

- A Zoroastrian place (not sure what they're called)

- Several Buddhist temples & at least one monastery

- And also the local high school football teams which are treated as gods

I would assume largely Protestant with Catholic coming in second. I don't pay too much attention to the places of worship around since I'm non-religious.

GingerRose
1 hour ago, AmberEyz said:

CATHOLIC 

and as far as I know that’s it

I was expecting to see Ireland but then I saw Canada.

GingerRose
22 minutes ago, Red Sun Rises said:

Unitarian Universalists

Wheeee! :)

Do you have more than one UU fellowship or church in the area?

Borrowing from the Pew Research site which covers the whole state, but I assume the city is a microcosm of that:

Christian:

Catholicism is the main Christian church where I live followed by

Evangelical Protestantism

Protestant

Mormon

Orthodox

Jehovah's Witnesses

Other

Non Christian:

Judaism

Muslim

Buddhist

Hindu

Other

And, we do boast a small Pagan Community which covers a lot of territory.

Non Religious

Unaffiliated aka "nones"

Atheist

Agnostic

Nothing in particular

ElloryJaye
1 hour ago, GingerRose said:

I was expecting to see Ireland but then I saw Canada.

Catholicism was historically very common in Francophone areas of Canada.  You'll find a lot of place-names that start with "Saint(e)", one particularly memorable example being "Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!". 

The town where I grew up was mostly Catholic and mostly Francophone (the remainder of the population was white Anglophone Protestant of one sort or another).

Where I live now, I know we have Catholics, various Protestant denominations, enough Jews to have a small active synagogue on the edge of downtown, a handful of Muslims, and I believe there are some people practicing First Nations traditional religions (probably primarily Anishinaabe or Cree, although I don't know for certain).   There may be others I don't know about.

5 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Muslim

Protestant

Catholic

Judaism

Unitarian Universalism

(you can usually tell by the places of worship you see: mosques, churches, synagogues...)

Why must we label ourselves ?  As  are differences  are meaningless .

I have no idea. It's not something I pay much attention to. I know there are various churches, but I am not sure what denominations. I assume there are probably temples and maybe mosques and other stuff, too.

I hang out in 2 neighbourhoods and in those neighbourhoods (I'm aware of other denominations but they're outside those neighbourhood), there is at least 6 catholic churches as opposed to 2 mosques, 1pentacostal church, 1 baptist church and 1 seventh day adventist.

Found places of worship for the following in the county: Catholic, Methodist, Anglican, Baptist, Spiritualist, Jehova’s witnesses, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Judaism, Baha’i, Hutterain brethren. 

GingerRose
7 hours ago, Ash_the_first said:

Why must we label ourselves ?  As  are differences  are meaningless .

As much as labels drive our differences, they also bring us together.

Just like AVEN.

18 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

As much as labels drive our differences, they also bring us together.

Just like AVEN.

They more we divide our selves the easier we are to conquer

Ummm... mostly Catholics and various Protestant denominations, some Hindu and Muslim and Jewish people... probably a bunch of others in much smaller numbers.

When I looked up the stats for this city, I was pretty surprised to see such small Eastern and Muslim communities. Maybe because I was involved in Taoist communities in LA and SF and they had larger populations?

GingerRose
44 minutes ago, Ash_the_first said:

They more we divide our selves the easier we are to conquer

Discriminate, yes. Conquer, I don't know. Perhaps even with our knowledge of these differences can we begin to bring ourselves away from division.

"So you believe in multiple gods and I believe in one god, that's interesting to know. To each their own, let us be friends."

4 hours ago, GingerRose said:

"So you believe in multiple gods and I believe in one god, that's interesting to know. To each their own, let us be friends."

What if it is the same God  who shows Herself or Himself as they please ?   At least in my way of understanding "my" reality. It matters not what you believe or what you do. As time here is short and a tear drop in the ocean  .

The issue occurreces when one group feels better or spacial. Which then leads to elists  ideas.  

GingerRose
5 hours ago, Ash_the_first said:

What if it is the same God  who shows Herself or Himself as they please ?   At least in my way of understanding "my" reality. It matters not what you believe or what you do. As time here is short and a tear drop in the ocean  .

The issue occurreces when one group feels better or spacial. Which then leads to elists  ideas.  

Like Bahai? All the Gods are one and the same.

Yes, so you've proved it yourself, depending on who you are, the differences may divide us or bring us together. . I personally hope to bring together instead of divide. I do not feel I am better than anyone in any shape or form.

2 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Like Bahai? All the Gods are one and the same.

Yes, so you've proved it yourself, depending on who you are, the differences may divide us or bring us together.

At least for me learning is a life long  walk.     About the word  Bahai  ...   Baal( is a term  used  for   a true god  and even the false ones)  

GingerRose
6 minutes ago, Ash_the_first said:

At least for me learning is a life long  walk. 

As for me as well. I am a teacher so I very much see it this way, and I like to learn as a hobby so there we have it. Religions especially. That was my hobby for 3 years of uni.

Archived