What are the Largest Ethnic Communities in your area? (by Nationality)

GingerRose

Anthracite_Impreza

English by far (93% last time I checked), various forms of eastern European (mostly Poles and Slovakians it seems) and various forms of middle easterners (I'd guess mostly Turks). If we're including Rotherham, which is affectionately known as Little Pakistan, well...

Blue eyes white dragon

The majority is hispanic (mostly of the mexican variety). Theres also a lot of native americans (mainly Navajo) and a lot of European descended peoples. There is also a lot of mixed (like me)  

Most locals don't identify themselves by their ancestor's nationality, from other European or African countries; they identify only with where their ancestors settled in the U.S. and lived for hundreds of years (i.e. in the south).

It's understandable because even though, technically, some people might be ethnically German, Scottish, etc., there's a big difference, culturally, between people who's families have lived in the U.S. for hundreds of years and someone who's a first or second generation American, who is more, recently, from Germany, Scotland, etc.

It's southern California, so mostly White and Hispanic with Asian communities.

Looked it up:

White: 45%

Hispanic: 35%

Asian: 10%

Black: 5%

Other: 5%

Canada as a whole (cuz idk):

32.3% of Canadians considered their ethnic origin to be Canadian. Other major groups recorded were English (18.3%), Scottish (13.9%), French (13.6%), Irish (13.4%), German (9.6%) and Chinese (5.1%).

93% white in my city.  Unfortunately, I’m not surprised.  I actually have very little in common with people here.  I am white, but my politics don’t reflect the majority here.   I keep to myself here.

spencexists

My city is pretty much only white people, if I had to guess its maybe 80-90% of the people are white, and the rest are Asian, black or Hispanic. 

In no particular order

Generic white Canadian

Métis 

Cree/Oji-Cree

Anishinaabe

Filipino

Ukrainian

Polish

Mennonite German

Indian (mostly Punjabi) 

Brazilian

Argentinian

Central American (Guatemalan, Honduran, Salvadoran) 

Nigerian

Ethiopian

Syrian

Ashkenazi Jewish

Greek

Italian

Portuguese

Caribbean (both Afro- and Indo-) 

Korean

Chinese

...et cetera. 

Red Sun Rises

In my county there are large populations of El Salvadoreans, Ethiopians, Vietnamese, generic white people such as myself, African Americans, and a large Russian population (the Ethiopian and Russian populations are due to the fact that nearby are the largest Ethiopian Orthodox & Russian Orthodox churches in my country).  But my county is pretty diverse in itself with smatterings of everything here and there.  There is also a fairly large Ghanaian & French-speaking African community.

GingerRose
2 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

English by far (93% last time I checked),

Ethnic is the sub group of the most popular, unless you mean you live in an area that is not with people of English nationality in the majority?

White

Hispanic - people who have long established roots here in the SW - that is, their ancestors came over with the Conquistadors and later colonists.

Hispanic - including folks who've filtered up from Central and South America

American Indian and Alaska Natives (technically the Navajos originated in what is now Canada - their base language is Athabascan)

Asian Americans

African Americans

And a tiny community of Hawai'ian and Pacific Islander folk

And it could be further broken down because humans like to mix things up, y'know?

If you're here in the US, you might find this site fascinating:  https://datausa.io/

Mostly white (not sure from which specific countries) and Mexican. There’s also a lot of people from Iraq in the town I live in.

2 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Ethnic is the sub group of the most popular, unless you mean you live in an area that is not with people of English nationality in the majority?

Are you saying that the word "ethnic" only refers to minorities? 

GingerRose
6 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

Are you saying that the word "ethnic" only refers to minorities? 

No, I'm saying it's definition is the sub group within the larger group as defined here:

adjective
Ethnic
  1. relating to a population subgroup (within a larger or dominant national or cultural group)

J. van Deijck

Top 10 foreign nationalities in Flanders:

Dutch

Romanian

Polish

Moroccan

Bulgarian

Italian

Spanish

French

Turkish

Portuguese

As of 2020. I didn't know there were more Romanians than Poles here, tbh. I hear the Polish language very often just in my city.

Rare Aztec Whstling Chickn

Locally? Given that Asia is something like 200km off our border, we do have quite a few people of various Asian nationalities. We've also got quite a few people from various Pacific naitons, such as Papua New Guinea, Fiji, New Zealand etc. Every now and again there's handfuls of people from various countries in the middle east. I've come across a few Canadians, as well as my dad who comes from the US (bit of an old joke from way back that we'd call him Canadian)

As far as people who migrate here...we have a large population of Hispanic and Latino folks as well as a sizeable population of folks from Vietnam. In some of the machine shops I used to work in, Caucasians were the minority. A lot of our manufacturing jobs go to immigrants of Asian descent, but we also have a lot of Hispanic/Latino folks working in meat packing plants and other factory jobs.

Race/ethnicity for the metropolitan area seems to be split close to fourths. We have a lot of Caucasian, Latino, and Black folks. The other fourth would be a mixture of Asian, Middle Eastern, Native American, and biracial folks. I don't know what our census demographics are, but that's about what the visual make up of the city seems to be.

everywhere and nowhere

Warsaw nad other big cities have more immigrants than small towns, for example. We have lot of Ukrainians - sometimes one can get an impression that they are the majority in shop staff. (A telling change: cash dispensers usually had Polish and English interface, sometimes, in the centre, also German or French could be encountered... and now most cash dispensers also have Ukrainian. :)) A growing number of Belarusians, since "Sasha 3%" (Lukashenka) started outright persecuting his subjects. Vietnamese since the early 1990s, now a growing number of immigrants from India, Pakistan, African countries... Great. I value multiculturalism, I believe that we should be multicultural, and I hope that these immigrants finally help smash the myth of a mononational, monocultural and monoreligious Poland. :twisted:

In my county, it is

1. Irish (89.6% of the county population) 

2. Polish (2,200)

3. Lithuanian (2,018)

4. Uk (2,001)

5. Latvia

6. Romania

On 5/14/2021 at 3:26 PM, fuzzipueo said:

If you're here in the US, you might find this site fascinating:  https://datausa.io/

Thank you for sharing this site, it's very interesting!

I learned that my state is 92% white, which isn't surprising (and I would bet is higher in my town, but it's way too small to show up on this website) and that the 3 most common countries of origin outside the US are Canada, Mexico, and Bhutan. I wouldn't have guessed Bhutan.

Archived