University Major

GingerRose

If you could start over in university, what major would you get? (Even if you haven't been to university yet) (SHARE BELOW WHAT MAJOR YOU WOULD GET)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. If you could start over in university, what major would you get? (Even if you haven't been to university yet) (SHARE BELOW WHAT MAJOR YOU WOULD GET)

• I'd keep it the same.
    • I would get the one I got and add another one.
    • I would get a different one.
    • I wouldn't go to university.
    • I would go through another program and maybe get a minor or certificate instead.

GingerRose

I would keep it the same, but I'd probably double major in wildlife science too.

(Partnered with Primary Education)

Grey-Ace Ventura

I'm in university, and I'd keep it the same. I have Computer Science and Pre-Med

ElloryJaye

The answer would depend on whether you meant starting over now or starting over then, a quarter-century-ish ago.  My undergraduate degree is technically in math, because the university I attended still considered computer science a subdiscipline of math at the time I was a student there.

If I were starting over now, I would probably either take CS + engineering, or make a complete reversal and go into art.

If I were starting over then, I'd pick the same area of study at a different university (specifically UWaterloo, which had the best program in the country at the time, and for all I know still does).

literallylexi

I would keep my same Biochemistry major, but I would definitely do things differently.

Keep it the same. Eastern European Cultural Studies and Social Geography. Might throw in a minor in education.

I would do the same (History) but from the beginning (I changed studies 3 times)

I wouldn’t have gone to university, I would’ve stopped at an Associates Degree from community college. I likely would have still done Business Administration, although I’d be kind of tempted to do Graphic Design instead.

I don't regret my degree (computer engineering) although the job opportunities turned out to not quite be what I wanted. There's definitely a lot of work in the field, don't get me wrong, just not the type of work that I think I want to do in the long term. So I'm actively considering another degree in a completely different field once I switch to having less work hours, hoping I eventually do!

Real Estate RICO

Computer Science/English double

I wouldn't change my major, except perhaps focusing on it specifically (I'm a music major, who was originally going for Music Education, but now Music History instead) from the beginning. Although that is hard to do where I live as I don't think any of the universities in my state even have musicology. =/

The one thing that I would really change aside from the direction within the major is that somewhere down the line I would have picked up some kind of degree/certification for a career that is light on the feet. This is because of my chronic illness/pain. It's easy to get high activity jobs, but not so much jobs where you sit down. This is the problem I have faced over the last few years and at one point (being in a high activity job, which was hurting me so badly) I even nearly got suicidal over it, so... I would really would have liked to have avoided that period of my life.

i'm in uni studying Cybersecurity with minors in Security Risk Analysis, Korean, and Military Studies. i don't think i would change it at all, but if i were back in high school maybe i would never go to uni at all and instead stick with my associates degree and opt for a more nomadic lifestyle.

Didn't get the opportunity to go to uni. Would still go with the same thing I wanted back then if I could, though. Journalism.

Tree snake

My major is Metallurgy and physical chemistry. I wouldn't change that but if I could I would have added a semester of basic physics prior to starting anything else, because I had none when starting my studies and that came back biting my fine ass. Physics is hell. 

Physics is not required but it's definitely involved in the field and learning how to do something without knowing the basics is just confusing. 

SugarButterFlour

I got a degree in baking and pastry arts. I’d do it again but maybe double it with culinary arts too.

I went to uni in Germany and England, so never could pick a major in the way people do in the states, but I would still go the same path I did if I had to decide all over again. While I sometimes wish I had stuck with it from the beginning (I initially did English lit, then dropped out in my second year), I don't regret my first degree choice as much as people often assume I do. It taught me some valuable lessons about what I don't want to do in life, after all. 

I'd keep it the same. It worked out pretty well.

Mine worked out well for me.

Might have included more programming and/or math though.

camillosan

Would like to change it, have changed it before...maybe I should just drop out at this point

GingerRose
On 5/14/2021 at 10:41 AM, theV0ID said:

We don't have 'majors' here, but I did environmental science, with a focus on ecology, and I would do the same again.

Nevertheless, the single honour degree, similar process in main study focus.

Archived