Disappointing series finales

iff

It seems a given that any long running TV series that ends, people will be dissapointed with the ending - line of duty, game of thrones, the sopranos etc etc. 

Although I was rewatching a documentary on Charles dickens and this doesn't seem anything new, a point was the only thing that dickens does badly is the ending. "They never seem fitting" . It is interesting as dickens were originally consumed weekly like tv programmes so disappointing that it ends, that there would be no more new ones of the characters involved. 

Sarah-Sylvia

A lot of the time it seems disappointing, than a good ending. Good endings can happen but they're rarer, is what I mean. 😕

OptimisticPessimist

Game Of Thrones, that last episode, i was like are you kiddng me right now.

Their are some good series finale's, i really loved Charmed's, it still makes me cry. 

I like Friends last episode, wrapped things up but at the same time left it so things weren't too final

30 minutes ago, iff said:

It seems a given that any long running TV series that ends, people will be dissapointed with the ending - line of duty, game of thrones, the sopranos etc etc. 

Although I was rewatching a documentary on Charles dickens and this doesn't seem anything new, a point was the only thing that dickens does badly is the ending. "They never seem fitting" . It is interesting as dickens were originally consumed weekly like tv programmes so disappointing that it ends, that there would be no more new ones of the characters involved.

What doesn't help is quite often the end of a series is preceded by a lack-luster season/series. It's often so bad you don't really want to invest the time to watch it and move on to other things (and get the impression the writers, cast and crew don't really care either).

Some spoilage ahead if you've not seen Roseanne (1988-97):

Spoiler

An excellent example of this is the last season of the first run of Roseanne which turns out to be a fever dream as written by Roseanne Connor and the last episode is all about the fact the entire last season of the series was all made up by the character.

Since I missed that episode the night it was on (I was watching Doctor Who: The Movie (aka The Enemy Within at the time), and I'd missed the entirety of the last season, it was pure disappointment to see it in reruns ...

Now, I've not actually watched the series because I found the humor to be completely lacking and dull, but I'm given to understand that How I Met Your Mother has one of the worst endings in TV history. All the buildup and the payoff just failed to deliver, or something along those lines?

Alaska Native Manitou

St. Elsewhere had an awful ending.

I was originally baffled by the end of British series The Prisoner, but it makes more sense when you realize the show was a metaphor for living in the closet.

Just now, 2SpiritCherokee Princess said:

St. Elsewhere had an awful ending.

I was originally baffled by the end of British series The Prisoner, but it makes more sense when you realize the show was a metaphor for living in the closet.

Spoiler

To discover the hospital and its residents were all the product of a child's imagination came as a shock ...

I really liked St. Elsewhere too.

ElloryJaye

There are a lot of old anime series that don't end so much as stop, usually because they were based on a manga that hadn't been finished yet, and didn't make quite enough money to justify reviving them when the manga did finish.

BBC's Merlin is the worst one imo. Such a good series, and then they did that? Just no.

OptimisticPessimist
6 minutes ago, Rynn said:

BBC's Merlin is the worst one imo. Such a good series, and then they did that? Just no.

THIS, it never should have ended like that. 

Sarah-Sylvia
9 minutes ago, Rynn said:

Glad I didn't finish the series XD

How I Met Your Mother had a terrible ending, and to make matters worse, they actually had filmed a better ending as a deleted scene.

Milque Toast

God, I had such an awful experience with The Promised Neverland anime.

I watched the first season when it first came out, and it was AMAZING. I loved every aspect of it, and since I got impatient waiting for the second season, I picked up the manga. 

I absolutely loved the manga, and even enjoyed the ending somewhat, despite the fact that there were lots of people who didn't enjoy it. I didn't mind that the ending wasn't too great, though, since I enjoyed the journey there a lot more 😌

But, I could literally rant for days about this, season 2, and especially the ending were just awful. They cut out basically all of my favourite characters, and gave us an awful alternate ending. Granted, this wasn't a long-time running show to make the blow worse, but it still had a large fanbase (quite highly ranked on myanimelist), meaning most people were expecting it to still get a decent season 2.

Thanks for letting me rant about this a bit 😅

Tree snake

Attack on Titan. (The anime hasn't ended yet but the manga has.)

I was super disappointed. I love AoT but the ending felt so unfitting, shallow, it didn't feel right. As if someone had edited it and changed a bunch of stuff. I'm almost hoping they'll give the anime an alternative ending.

The ending wasn't a complete bust but there are several things that were built up to turn out differently. 

I was a bit disappointed by the ending of Steven Universe.  The villains' redemption felt incredibly rushed.

Pretty Little Liars.

I had watched this show religiously from age 16 to 22, so the finale kind of felt like the end of a major era in my life haha. I remember getting up super early in the morning because I wanted to watch the finale before class and...it was incredibly disappointing. The last seasons weren't nearly as good as the first ones, but I still had some hopes for the finale. It was like the writers had completely lost track of all the loose ends and just made a last minute decision.

I also watched the entirety of Dexter a few years ago, and was pretty disappointed with the ending. And as already mentioned, How I Met Your Mother had a horrible ending as well.

Purple Red Panda

Battlestar Galactica (the remake)

KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty
54 minutes ago, Karst said:

I was a bit disappointed by the ending of Steven Universe.  The villains' redemption felt incredibly rushed.

This was because the show was cancelled because of

Spoiler

Garnet's wedding

so Rebecca Sugar only had a handful of episodes to wrap everything up. Given what they were working against, I think they did alright. 

1 hour ago, fairyofsuburbia said:

...I also watched the entirety of Dexter a few years ago, and was pretty disappointed with the ending...

I don't know if you've already read about it, but, recently, news articles mentioned that Dexter will be rebooted this fall, for a season 9, 10-episode series.

Dexter: New Limited Series Coming Soon - Official Series Site | SHOWTIME

I guess, I'm not really into watching T.V. shows, much, because episodes, eventually, end up feeling long and boring, for me, where either not much is happening, or I've felt I've seen the same plot, already (and I'm able to, correctly, predict what'll happen).

So, it's rare for me to stick with watching an entire series.

I like movies, a lot better, because, generally, they have a lot more going on; whereas, series episodes just drag on between more exciting events.

2 hours ago, fairyofsuburbia said:

Pretty Little Liars.

I had watched this show religiously from age 16 to 22, so the finale kind of felt like the end of a major era in my life haha. I remember getting up super early in the morning because I wanted to watch the finale before class and...it was incredibly disappointing. The last seasons weren't nearly as good as the first ones, but I still had some hopes for the finale. It was like the writers had completely lost track of all the loose ends and just made a last minute decision.

I enjoyed Pretty Little Liars in the beginning but the more I watched, the more I questioned the writers, and then the finale happened. One of the appeals of a mystery is when you finally get the big reveal, everything falls into place. You can go back and you'll notice things that you didn't pick up on the first time around...I think the show suffered a lot because the writers kept trying to outsmart fans.

39 minutes ago, LeChat said:

I don't know if you've already read about it, but, recently, news articles mentioned that Dexter will be rebooted this fall, for a season 9, 10-episode series.

Dexter: New Limited Series Coming Soon - Official Series Site | SHOWTIME

I guess, I'm not really into watching T.V. shows, much, because episodes, eventually, end up feeling long and boring, for me, where either not much is happening, or I've felt I've seen the same plot, already (and I'm able to, correctly, predict what'll happen).

So, it's rare for me to stick with watching an entire series.

I like movies, a lot better, because, generally, they have a lot more going on; whereas, series episodes just drag on between more exciting events.

Your point about things feeling repetitive is definitely relevant to Dexter, and also why I never even made it to the (unsurprisingly) disappointing season finale. The show managed to keep my interest up through season 4, but themes had already started being repeated and any sense of tension about his getting caught had been played through a million times already -- as well as having already gone way past any kind of suspension of disbelief about his somehow avoiding yet another close call.

They really should have wrapped it up at season 4, I think. They'd evolved the character from feeling like he was just faking being a regular person, to his realizing he did have emotions and cared about his wife and kids. Have one last thrilling confrontation with a nemesis or whatever, and let him happily-ever-after into suburban family life, the end.

I mean, I'm even a big fan of Julia Stiles, so should have been happy to see her show up in season 5, but I just couldn't get into it at all. Totally lost my attention that season, so honestly kind of surprised it was able to limp along for another few.

Game of Thrones - should have ended with the great battle with the dead.

Battlestar galactica - needed to end at the end of the previous season.

For those of you old enough to remember: Babylon 5.    Are you kidding me - they just all want to be friends?????

Westworld season 1 end was great.  Just should have stopped there.

Seinfeld had a famously (notoriously?) bad final episode, maybe even worse by comparison to the rest of the series (depending on how one felt about the series as a whole). At least, the series was very popular in the day, and the ending was widely panned.

Firefly was disappointing, but that has more to do with being cut short and then having to try to wrap things up in a final movie instead of doing whole arcs of seasons.

MASH on the other hand had a widely popular final episode, and certainly widely watched.

I thought Barney Miller had a great final episode, too.

Trying to think of something more recent with a disappointing final episode or a great one, but I guess I haven't watched many recent series.

I agree about some series going on too long before they finally wrap up, so not only is the final episode disappointing, most of the final season or more is disappointing.

14 hours ago, Rynn said:

TBH this is the only one I thought wasn't bad, albeit actually sad.

That being said, I've found most finales I've seen rather lack luster. DS9 however at least didn't leave you wondering, and at least made some effort to try and tie the ends together.

Furtive Pygmy

'Dexter' really does take some beating for atrocious endings. The last four seasons were increasingly bad, so it's not like it could be redeemed either way. This one-off that's currently filming certainly has potential, though. The original showrunner that left after the first four seasons is back with full creative control. Plus, Clancy Brown is the big bad.

15 hours ago, Moonman said:

Gossip Girl.

Yeah I can't believe I forgot to mention that one. I actually re-watched some of the first few seasons afterwards to figure how much sense the reveal made (zero, they could have gone a much better way with Gossip Girl being a minor character who is never affected by anything Gossip Girl posts, and they had some pretty good candidates for that as well). 

20 hours ago, uhtred said:

For those of you old enough to remember: Babylon 5.    Are you kidding me - they just all want to be friends?????

Sleeping in the Light is one of the most emotional series finales I've ever sat through and it brings tears every time. 

Alaska Native Manitou
On 5/14/2021 at 2:55 AM, Comrade Tal said:

DS9 however at least didn't leave you wondering, and at least made some effort to try and tie the ends together.

DS9 has the same ending issue as The Time Machine by H. G. Wells.

Spoiler

He is now a being that controls time so there's no use waiting for him--if he hasn't come back yet, he never will.

Archived