Has anyone tried making self-affirmations?

Captain Jay

Captain Jay

I was wondering because it's an idea I've heard from time to time. I was thinking of trying it, but the idea makes me feel self-conscious... I don't want to get hung up on thinking the usual phrases sound too cheesy or generic. I might have to personalize them somehow.

All I know is, they say that in order to change, you have to be sick and tired of being sick and tired. I do want to reach out more, create more, and otherwise do more... but I'm not feeling comfortably numb so much as just numb. I'm probably not trying hard enough, though I'm not sure how.

(Another thing I should work on is not extending my spikes Kirby-style when I should be holding out an olive branch and vice versa. I don't know why I'm expecting people to be hostile by default. I also don't know if that's beside the point or not, so it's in parentheses just in case.)

(I ought to be sleeping, by the way... but I had to hammer this out because I didn't want to be sitting on it for too long. I hope it still makes sense tomorrow.)

A lot of change is helped by small steps, maybe picking one small thing to work on will help you more. Self-affirmations can be good if you're consistent and are maybe a literary person. It really does depend on your desired outcomes. Actions usually path the way for thought changes, believe it or not, but if it helps you, it helps you!

Try and come up with your own phrases, haha, personalising sounds helpful. Just think of what has meaning to you as an individual, and what are some truths that you tend to forget about.

I do them whenever I think something negative, particularly. I don’t tend to do positive affirmation journals or anything like that because it sounds a little sappy and not particularly my thing, but combating whatever negative thought I have with a logical positive one works for me and surprisingly fixed my panic attacks relatively quickly once i figured it out. It didn’t work immediately or cure me (yet) but yeah. Hopefully this is related to your question 

GingerRose

@Captain Jay You've inspired me, I started making them yesterday, before I do my routine for my disorder care. I start by saying "embracing" while hugging myself, "loving" and "empowering" then I do a big arm stretch and continue with my routine.

rainbowocollie

Yeah. When I get anxiety at work I tell myself "today is a good day, we're safe, we're happy". I don't like....lie. But a lot of the time I get anxiety on an otherwise decent day, so I use it then. If it's a bad day it might be more like "we're safe here".

Archived