Being asexual and having periods

rrahibe

faerie dude

They're useless for me personally, except if you count the benefits from having a healthy hormonal profile when it comes to various diseases. It clashes more with my gender identity and causes dysphoria and a sense of being "out of self" when it's around.

everywhere and nowhere
4 hours ago, rrahibe said:

by the way there is a something that With the start of sex life, menstruation is getting regular.( i never had sex.) maybe thats why.

I doubt it. The characteristics of menstruation in a particular person have nothing to do with whether they have sex or not.

Anecdotal evidence: mine is quite painful and quite heavy (at least to the point that I can't cycle during my period, because I can only wear pads and the pad being pressed to the bicycle seat by my weight means a certain leak), but mostly regular - and I have never had sex (or, for example, used hormonal pills).

3 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I doubt it. The characteristics of menstruation in a particular person have nothing to do with whether they have sex or not.

Anecdotal evidence: mine is quite painful and quite heavy (at least to the point that I can't cycle during my period, because I can only wear pads and the pad being pressed to the bicycle seat by my weight means a certain leak), but mostly regular - and I have never had sex (or, for example, used hormonal pills).

İf u say so but most of my friends saying that after having sex, them periods are getting regular 

everywhere and nowhere
6 minutes ago, rrahibe said:

İf u say so but most of my friends saying that after having sex, them periods are getting regular 

I would say that "correlation is not causation". Periods may typically become more regular once puberty is fully over, and a lot of people start having sex at ages around 16, 17, 18 (which I consider too early for allosexual people too), 19... Which means that period would likely become more regular at that point anyway and the process just coincided with having sex, but was not caused by it.

everywhere and nowhere

That said, in my own case puberty was over sooner. I don't remember how regular or irregular my period was at the beginning, just that for the first two years it was already heavy, but still painless - I regret having lost this comfort... My physical maturing timeline (including non-gendered aspects) was as follows (by age):

4 - lost my first baby tooth

7 - got molar teeth ("sevens")

8 - beginning growth of boobs 😩 and adult body hair

9 - lost my last baby tooth

10 - transition from children's to women's shoes and clothes (because children's sizes got too small)

11 - period

12/13 - voice breaking, reached adult height

20 - got upper wisdom teeth; lower ones never grew because they are embedded in the bone (verified by jaw X-ray) and have probably fully given up

nanogretchen4

Have you tried period underwear? I don't get my period anymore, but period underwear is sold in a close-fitting shorts style that looks like it should prevent leaks while cycling.

everywhere and nowhere
15 minutes ago, nanogretchen4 said:

Have you tried period underwear? I don't get my period anymore, but period underwear is sold in a close-fitting shorts style that looks like it should prevent leaks while cycling.

Haven't tried it, but as far as I've read... It needs to be soaked in cold water after wear and before washing, and the idea of having open boxes with bloody panties in my bathroom sounds really repulsive to me. And hand washing is much too much hassle for me given that it's something I could only do in gloves due to my allergy.

2 hours ago, nanogretchen4 said:

Oh i didn’t know that. Maybe I’ll buy. Thanks 

In my experience as an aroace it's most just irritating for being absolutely pointless. But besides that, it's manageable and I don't think about it all that much.

Archived