Is it an ace case?

Squirrel the wise

Squirrel the wise

I know I want to have sex at some point in my life, it's just that I have never really been sexually attracted to anyone... does that still make me asexual?

Sarah-Sylvia

Hi.
Well, it depends what definition of asexuality you use, and why you want to have sex.
If its to try it out and learn from the experience (including about yourself) that's just normal. If there's something about it that keeps you wanting it, then it can be seen as sexual unless you go by strictly the sexual attraction definition. It comes down to how you see yourself too.

everywhere and nowhere
19 minutes ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

it can be seen as sexual unless you go by strictly the sexual attraction definition

But does "sexual attraction" mean whatever people want it to mean? I find that some understand "not experiencing sexual attraction" as "not thinking of anyone as sexually attractive", and that's not the same thing.

And I anyway support switching to the desire-based definition because it's much less confusing.

Sarah-Sylvia
9 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

But does "sexual attraction" mean whatever people want it to mean? I find that some understand "not experiencing sexual attraction" as "not thinking of anyone as sexually attractive", and that's not the same thing.

And I anyway support switching to the desire-based definition because it's much less confusing.

Me too. I find it less confusing as well to go by the desire (to have sex or not). To clarify, if someone only wants sex to please their partner or to have the experience or for another reason like that, then it doesn't matter, since many asexuals can desire to please their partner, or try it out, etc.

It also makes sense in terms of other orientations. (to try it out and see how it feels)

The other definition is pretty widespread though and maybe left pretty open to interpretation. and people are able to label themselves.

Archived