Things You Lose the Older You Get

GingerRose

My ability to read tiny print without reading glasses.

Interest in traveling. These days, I just want to sit at home and read.

Going to restaurants or the stores. This pandemic has actually made me more introverted, so as things pick up again, I really am not enjoying having to deal with so many people at once...

My sense of dread at being carded while buying beer. Be my guest, ask for my ID. You will make my day.

GingerRose
1 hour ago, PanFicto. said:

fast metabolism

I'm scared for that loss.

Come to think of it I’ve been losing my eyesight too. I’ve been wearing glasses for 12 years since I was 18, and I used to not bother wearing them if I was just at home but now I can barely even use my laptop without them.

hair (but also gained some)

eyesight (not totally lost, but needing correction for more things)

ability to be incensed, along with patience for certain people

ability to keep weight off or to lose it

a little annihilation

friends

3 hours ago, GingerRose said:

I'm scared for that loss.

Yeah it's really bad. I used to be able to eat anything and never gain weight!! Nowadays the weight piles on and is almost impossible to shift. I have to exercise for a long time every day, and cut my meals down to one meal a day (sometimes one meal every second day) to see any noticeable difference at all. It's a nightmare T_T

4 hours ago, jkmlynch said:

My sense of dread at being carded while buying beer. Be my guest, ask for my ID. You will make my day.

Haha I noticed that one too! I'm always pleasantly surprised now when I'm asked to show ID at the bottle-store counter :D

dhjunglejape

All the above AND my ability to really become immersed in a good book without distracting myself on nagging thoughts of the 25 others things I need to/should be doing.

You lose people.  They tend to either drift away, or they get older (as you do) and die.  

I'm sure someone mentioned hearing by now.

I also lost most of my f***s to give so I have to use them rather sparingly now. This is a good thing.

... and my memory (especially of the things I've lost as I grow older) 😁

The ability to walk without pain, drama, fast metabolism, depression, hearing, acne (it took long enough), enjoying moving to a different country every year, older relatives.

Possibly the amount of fucks i give.

GingerRose
9 hours ago, Sally said:

You lose people.  They tend to either drift away, or they get older (as you do) and die.  

Yes and I'm facing this early and it's so sad to me. 😕 

Definitely the belief that people are good. Too many people are selfish and don't care about anyone other than themselves. See the concept of wearing masks. It's such a minor inconvenience, but some people just can't be even the most minor bit inconvenienced to keep others safe.

Also my chattiness. I was soooo chatty until sometime in high school. I have really lost my ability to be sociable. It's sad. I don't know if it's a result of puberty or if all of the fake friends and mean people in high school just destroyed me inside.

A lot of people are saying things like "faith in humanity", but tbh I'm kind of the opposite. I used to be very misanthropic and angry, hell I used to say that if I were the leader of an advanced alien race I would destroy this planet and everyone on it, but I seem to have mellowed out. I've always known about the existence of "bad" people, even when I was like 3.

The ability to recover. 

I ran an extreme obstacle Marathon with my nieces and nephews. 

Not wanting to let them down, I pushed through my body howling at me to stop. 

The landing awkwardly from jumping and climbing, just did a number on my already at the time injured back and knees. No adults wanted to do it, and so I volunteered VS seeing kids with crushed spirits. 

I have never been happier to see a finish line in my life. 

As a youth. A couple hours at the gym. Pain gone. 

My back, my hips were howling for weeks. I was swelling in some areas, and my back was in just sheer agony. I ended up having to get it checked. 

The kids never knew, but just that awkward moment when you start to realize your body is beginning its free fall decline. 

Your looks, your hearing, your sight diminishes, your hair, your waist line, your mind, you self esteem, your ability to give a toss about what other people think. 

Calligraphette_Coe

Optimism that bonhomie will always triumph over human greed and willful ignorance. That no matter how many wonderful things some of us invent, they'll always meet a bad end when those last two regrettable traits will always find a way to screw them up.

Can’t hold my water as long now, LOL

My 20s (I do NOT miss that)

A lot of pessimism and a much shorter fuse to match (anyone who thinks “yeah, BS” hasn’t known me long)

Feeling the need to be in control of everything in my life to prevent total disaster

On 5/10/2021 at 4:46 PM, Gloomy said:

My sanity. Oh who am I kidding that’s always been gone.

I’m sure a lot of us appreciate that. 😝

J. van Deijck

Trust in the world. Oh and the flexibility of my back.

Metabolism, too. I've gotten bigger in the last three years T.T

camillosan

Lost my idealistic streak...well I'm still an idealist deep down but the adult world has turned me cynical.

Funny because "sanity" and "my marbles" were the two top answers that I immediately thought of when I saw the title of the thread, before I even read the posts.

Other things (trying to keep it lighthearted since some posts here have been more on the sad side):

• You lose your patience a lot more because now you actually have to deal with idiots, as opposed to just moving on to play with other kids you like better
  • You lose any and all will to stay up late for no reason, because you know you're going to be tired as heck tomorrow if you do
  • You start appreciating the value of receiving new socks as a Christmas present
  • You either keep doing or resume doing the hobbies you dropped 10 years ago when you were told they were "uncool", because you don't give a shit what other people think anymore, and even if you did, you'd notice that everyone else is doing the exact same thing
  • You actually talk about the weather a lot more, not necessarily because you think it's an interesting subject, just because you want that one annoying little dipshit out of your hair asap and weather talk is the fastest way to get there
Semiterrestrial Scientist

Will to live tbh. I haven’t even been alive that long

Archived