Things You Lose the Older You Get

GingerRose

5 hours ago, Lunacat said:

What do you mean? The need for romantic love?

I suppose? I used to want/need to be loved in some way, now I don't care. I'm not sad without friends or a relationship or anything, though the lack of those things sometimes saddened me when I was younger.

10 minutes ago, PanFicto. said:

I'm not sad without friends

It's nice that you can feel that way, i have a social communication disorder so making and keeping friends is very difficult for me and it makes me sad, so i will probably see a speech therapist to develop my social skills. Because i really want a friend that will stay in my life, instead of always leaving :(

12 minutes ago, Lunacat said:

It's nice that you can feel that way, i have a social communication disorder so making and keeping friends is very difficult for me and it makes me sad, so i will probably see a speech therapist to develop my social skills. Because i really want a friend that will stay in my life, instead of always leaving :(

I used to feel that way, now I'm just numbed to it I think? I haven't had an irl friend in over a decade now.. I'm sorry you feel sad though and I hope you can find a friend who stays :c

This is a depressing thread!

Life has gotten better for me as I've gotten older tbh.

The biggest positive change has been a more positive sense of self.  I used to assume everyone disliked me.  Life is a lot easier when you assume people feel neutrally towards you instead, because they probably do!  People don't spend as much headspace on you as you think they do.  If you go through life assuming no one will like you anyway, you will never put yourself out there to become friends with the people who do like you.  Self-fulfilling prophecy!

On 5/29/2021 at 9:05 AM, cato said:

If you go through life assuming no one will like you anyway, you will never put yourself out there to become friends with the people who do like you.  Self-fulfilling prophecy!

I do seem to have lost the need for romance (with non-fictional people anyway) and friendships. I used to have crushes on classmates and have friends. I didn’t hang out with them outside of school much because reasons, so I was already sort of isolated and was sometimes sad about it, but now I pretty much don’t have any friends outside of family and it doesn’t bother me anymore.

2 minutes ago, Gloomy said:

now I pretty much don’t have any friends outside of family and it doesn’t bother me anymore.

I really don't understand this, i mean why not have at least one friend? It's not a judgement btw, i just try to understand.

22 minutes ago, Lunacat said:

It's not that simple, i have a specific disorder like i explained in the comments so that's why i will see a speech therapist. I don't know if your comment was directed to me?

Nope, not directed at you--it was meant to be a general comment about my own experience.  Sorry if it came off that way!  I do think there is merit to the sentiment for everyone, but obviously everyone's situation is different.

3 minutes ago, Lunacat said:

I really don't understand this, i mean why not have at least one friend? It's not a judgement btw, i just try to understand.

I just don’t have a desire for one. I can’t help it really.

On 5/12/2021 at 11:21 PM, AJ 0688 said:

Your looks, your hearing, your sight diminishes, your hair, your waist line, your mind, you self esteem, your ability to give a toss about what other people think. 

The ability to stop things you actually think but might be a little rude but tongue in cheek from coming out of your mouth causing the "oops was that my outside voice" reaction 😂🤣

On 5/26/2021 at 5:04 PM, Lunacat said:

It's nice that you can feel that way, i have a social communication disorder so making and keeping friends is very difficult for me and it makes me sad, so i will probably see a speech therapist to develop my social skills. Because i really want a friend that will stay in my life, instead of always leaving :(

It’s happened to me countless times. I can usually see it coming, but I can’t stop it.

By the way, I know this is kind of an ironic place to say this, but happy birthday.

Samsquanch’s post reminds me, I don’t look much different now than in my high school grad photo. I still have the oily skin but not the acne that used to come with it thank goodness.

• 2 weeks later...
Purplegems3

My Memory (particularly with Childhood Memories)

I actually have lost my marbles.  Used to have some, but they vanished a couple of house-moves ago, along with some other stuff that fit loosely into the "toys" category. 😜

Other than that, the main thing that's gone is the worst of the depression I had starting from around the time I hit elementary school.  Which I do not miss at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my stealth skills. When I sit down into a cushioned chair, sometimes a noise involuntarily escapes my lips. It is remarkably consistent with a short groan. It is disconcerting because I think it will only get louder and more frequent as the years pass. More yoga!

StarryNightAllAlone

Loved ones.

Archived