Children's Television, Anyone?

Black Dragon

KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty
35 minutes ago, DemonicSister said:

Original and drawn. Mention anything in a new cgi look and drop dead. There were already too many of those *shudders*

Blue's Clues and Chii's Sweet Home, anyone? 

I guess most of the things I watch are technically 'kids' shows'. 

GingerRose
1 hour ago, DemonicSister said:

Original and drawn. Mention anything in a new cgi look and drop dead. There were already too many of those *shudders*

I've got to hand it to the new one though, all that mm... not-sexism.

This is coming from someone who watched every episode of the original...and every episode of the new one.

nazokashii
On 5/9/2021 at 6:46 PM, Zagadka said:

I can enjoy some more "family" material, but generally I'm more driven to darker/serious stories, and dark humor. Thankfully, those quite frequently aren't very sexual; they have serious issues and don't have time to waste story beats or distract from the tone with a lot of romance or sex (the relationships they do have tend to be much more serious and dramatic).

"Heartwarming" isn't really something I look for usually. I can't get as interested in it, and I don't really relate... I guess I've just been a depressed, sad person almost my entire life and was never cheered up  by positive affirmations etc.

But I guess I like lighthearted "children's" stories over the general audience popular media that just focuses on superficial relationships and sex.

Thankfully, there is a renaissance in older properties and animation being revived for an adult audience, and new shows like Infinity Train.

Unfortunately, there are travesties like the Powerpuff Girls live action thing, taking the original and making them angsty young adults. They were perfectly fine in the originals. They're ruining the entire point and making it more crappy CW melodrama. I mean, I like dark stories, but just making characters angsty doesn't make the story good or dark.

I can relate a lot to usually preferring darker stories - I really like what Franz Kafka once wrote in a letter to a friend, and I feel like it applies to other forms of media too:

I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we’re reading doesn’t wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? So that it will make us happy, as you write? Good Lord, we would be happy precisely if we had no books, and the kind of books that make us happy are the kind we could write ourselves if we had to. But we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us. That is my belief.

On 5/9/2021 at 8:22 PM, Padparadscha said:

I just realised a lot of the media I consume is very child-friendly. I generally stay clear of older rated media because it isn't only the sexual tones that bother me. I'm just generally not a fan of heavy violence and especially dark themes. I mean, generally I really like stories with dark tones, like for example Death Note being my favourite anime of all time (and The Promised Neverland close behind), but I don't like when they are too heavy, like for example Higurashi or Tokyo Ghoul, they're just overdoing it, imo. Usually when I watch something darker/more mature, it's something I also need to mentally prepare myself more for, and even then it's still quite draining to watch, even if it's entertaining as hell. My favourite game series is Ace Attorney, which I just love for the plot, and it gets a lot darker as you continue down the series. I enjoy it especially as well because romance is not a main part of the game, more like an optional thing to be interested in. I ship Phoenix and Edgeworth (the two main characters), but I like that it isn't an actual part of gameplay or is something that is strongly represented. In terms of kids TV shows that I actually watch, I'm a big fan of my little pony, pokemon, and spongebob, hehe

Otherwise, I just play a lot of kiddie/nintendo games a lot, like pokemon, professor layton, animal crossing, and splatoon. ❤️

Though also definitely this - I just don't enjoy when it becomes too violent or "gore-y" etc, I have a quite low "tolerance" for that as well. But if it's a very subtle, more melancholically tinged, slow, sad/dark story? Then I'm all for it ^^ In general I find that I tend to like "calmer" stuff... even happy upbeat stuff can get a bit much for me if it's too fast, and when it's too "sickly sweet" as well... and it goes like for all forms of media really, so like books, music etc as well. I find I really tend to like "mellow" stuff the best :P

Which is not to say that there aren't exceptions, or that I can't enjoy something "despite" certain elements that I might not like in general; it's hard to get something that is "perfect" for one's own particular taste (at least I've found that to be the case for me).

But absolutely - Death Note, Ace Attorney (especially), Pokémon, Professor Layton, Animal Crossing... those fit the bill as good as anything I've found, for me ^^

On 5/10/2021 at 7:00 AM, DemonicSister said:

I still often watch cartoons I enjoyed in my childhood and youth, like Scooby Doo where are you, Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, the older My Little Pony series and movies, Garfield, Inspector Gadget, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Real Ghostbusters, some of the older Batman and X-Men series, Animaniacs, He-Man and She-Ra, Captain Planet, Bravestarr and I don't see any problems with that. 

I get major nostalgia at the mention of Scooby Doo and Inspector Gadget 😌 loved those! (And now I have the Gadget theme song playing in my head xD)

I also remember loving the Winnie the Pooh Disney cartoons. Even watched some of them just a few years ago, when I really felt like I needed something wholesome... even as a kid though I especially loved the first full-length movie, which I found so incredibly sad and touching in places. A beautiful example, in my opinion, of how you can make something that is both wholesome and profound and melancholic at the same time...

(That kind of contrast is actually something I find that I like a lot in general. Some of my favourite songs for example are japanese songs that superficially seem really upbeat and over-the-top and fast, but if you actually listen to the lyrics they are incredibly sad and touching; and the late Sir Terry Pratchett had such a wonderful way in his books of blending the finest "comedy" and brilliant puns and just general funniness, with the deepest, most profound thoughts - not seldom in the same sentence ^^)

• 1 month later...
Sweet Flowers

Almost everything I watch is kids TV. It’s not just sex stuff I don’t like, but adult stuff in general even though I should be more than old enough to handle it. Kids TV is much more enjoyable for me and much easier to watch. I’ll also watch older shows because they tend to be more family friendly than what networks are showing nowadays.

On 5/9/2021 at 12:24 PM, Black Dragon said:

Hi everyone - adult ace here. As I look back on my ace journey, even before realizing my orientation, I found myself gravitating towards children's shows as a source of entertainment, as they are always wholesome and free from the hypersexual messages of youth/adult-oriented media. I know I'm a grown up, but I just love me a heartwarming episode of Franklin the Turtle, Berenstain Bears, or The Magic School Bus (and don't get me wrong, I'm proud of it) 😜.

Does anybody else still enjoy watching kid's shows? 

If not, what do you watch? 

Avoiding allonormative entertainment can certainly be tricky!

I don't watch kids' shows, but I know what you mean about so called "adult" programming and all the annoying innuendo.

EmilyWritesSomeStuff

In general I like shows that are geared towards all ages like those from Disney, but sometimes I like to watch stuff just for kids as a guilty pleasure if they were nostalgic shows I watched while I was a kid like stuff that used to be on Quobo. Heck, me and my siblings and our friends will do that all together sometimes with our parents even though all of us are either in our late teens or early twenties. Really, I watch all of that more than adult stuff since it makes me more happy and has less content that disturbs me like heavy violence or bores me like sexual content.

Black Dragon
On 7/1/2021 at 4:43 PM, thylacine said:

I don't watch kids' shows, but I know what you mean about so called "adult" programming and all the annoying innuendo.

Yeah, sometimes it seems like there's no middle ground: Either it's for "kids," or you step into a land of no guarantees... 

Dethsdream

Kids shows are awesome!! Obviously I LOVE Disney movies (if my profile pic is any indication 😂), and basically all animation although I still have a preference for 2D. Kids shows make me happy and usually have a really nice message at the end. I recently saw The Wish Dragon on Netflix and that was outstanding! As far as animated TV shows go, I have always enjoyed Sailor Moon, The Power Puff Girls, Pokémon, Avatar the Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, and Miraculous Ladybug to name a few. Anytime a new animated movie comes out I watch it- I’m waiting for Raya and the Last Dragon to come out on Disney Plus, for example and I think it’s going to be really good.

I also really love stop motion animation, like The Dark Crystal, ParaNorman, Monster House, Kubo, Coraline, and The Nightmare Before Christmas. I do like some Anime- My Hero Academia, One Punch Man, HunterxHunter, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, and Full Metal Alchemist to list off the top of my head. I have a preference for Shounen generally, and there doesn’t seem to be too much romance although there is some fan service which is annoying. Other than kid’s shows, I mostly watch documentaries about all kinds of different things!

Sweet Flowers
2 minutes ago, Dethsdream said:

I’m waiting for Raya and the Last Dragon to come out on Disney Plus, for example and I think it’s going to be really good.

It’s been on there for about a month.

Dethsdream
9 minutes ago, Sweet Flowers said:

It’s been on there for about a month.

Thanks! I didn’t know it was free to watch yet.

On 5/11/2021 at 7:20 PM, nazokashii said:

the late Sir Terry Pratchett had such a wonderful way in his books of blending the finest "comedy" and brilliant puns and just general funniness, with the deepest, most profound thoughts - not seldom in the same sentence ^^

I devoured the Discworld series in Year 10 - he has this genius gift of making the situation funny and tongue-in-cheek without losing the sincerity of the world and the characters’ motivations. It’s silly as heck but you still care what happens.

Also, that Kafka quote is beautiful and I can see how that viewpoint influenced what he wrote

Skipper Valvoline

TMNT has been there for me, especially Rise of the TMNT most recently. No romance in that show, and absolutely hilarious!

I’m a teenager, so it’s not exactly the same, but I do really like some kids television. I love Gravity Falls and The Owl House, which are kids cartoons. Doctor Who (my favorite TV show) was originally intended for kids, but it’s more of a family program. The original series was mostly free of even romance; the new series had some romance and there was an era where there was a lot of implied sexual stuff. But the latest seasons are just a tiny bit of flirting, which I’m grateful for.

Kids television is kind of refreshing, and I don’t have to be constantly worried that it will be one of the bad episodes (Star Trek is particularly annoying about this; I’m watching The Next Generation and every other episode is great but every few episodes it’ll just be a nightmare).

Also, there’s a Bernstain Bears TV show???

I haven't watched TV in over 4 years but I can see what you mean about finding wholesome things to watch on TV

• 4 months later...

For sure! Most kids shows have a great plot (and they are more plot centered), more entertaining and diverse casts, and are very well balanced with colors (either very bright and appeasing or fitting for the setting).

I do! Last year I was obsessed with Star vs. the Forces of Evil. I like kids shows because their episodes don't last to much and they help me to relax

I managed to find a DVD box set of my favourite TV programme from 1971 called ' Pretenders'. It was set in 1689 and although the central characters were fictional, the event it portrayed was not.

coderedclover

Animaniacs and Steven Universe were big ones! However, I used to be really into Qubo shows (an on the air channel that played exclusively kids shows)

I'm really getting into anime rn though,,

a little annihilation

I like the backyardigans, I think it holds up surprisingly well; it's incredibly well written.

Personally I think SpongeBob is a show enjoyable for all ages (seasons 1-4; the rest should be thrown out) and I'll never not enjoy watching it.

a little annihilation
2 minutes ago, lovelylikeschanel said:

I like the backyardigans, I think it holds up surprisingly well; it's incredibly well written.

Personally I think SpongeBob is a show enjoyable for all ages (seasons 1-4; the rest should be thrown out) and I'll never not enjoy watching it.

*I know SpongeBob wasn't meant to be a children's show but it's regarded as one now and is marketed toward children

I would much rather watch kid's TV than nasty horrible violent stuff like Squid Game anyday.

• 2 months later...

I have just discovered this Australian children's TV series from the 1990s which is on YouTube, and I am liking it so much that I feel the need to share it!

If you haven't seen or heard of this before, do check it out - it's well worth a binge watch!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl48jMfth9b8wE4ec9oy4rU_x9JoT8-er

Spoiler

Blueberry Pie

I love a LOT of cartoons made for children/teens (but can obviously be enjoyed by anyone): Kipo, The Dragon Prince, Carmen Sandiego (Netflix), The Owl House, Ninjago, Miraculous Ladybug, The Last Kids on Earth, Steven Universe, OK KO, Green Eggs and Ham (Netflix), Phineas and Ferb, early Spongebob, and so on.

Trans Aroace Girl

I prefer kids shows. I don’t have to worry about sex stuff (apart from subtle jokes but I think those at least go over my head sometimes), but they’re also easier for me to follow and overall easier for me to get into. I don’t think I have the mental capability for a lot of adult shows.

1 hour ago, Lilibulero said:

Horrible histories 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That is undeniably a brilliant show, and I reckon it probably has more adults watching it than children! :lol:

Watched heaps of cartoons and kid's shows as a kid. Some are corny now, but here's a list; (no 'remakes, and none of that computer generated crap)

I'll miss some, but this is off the top of my head

He-Man

She-Ra

Thundercats

Sesame Street 1980s-1992 (when Joe Raposo still did his music - genius, and Jim Henson still had a lot of his existing contributions shown regularly)

Bob in the Bottle

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Fantastic Max

Raggy Dolls

Alias the Jester

Postman Pat

Fireman Sam

Animals of Farthing Wood

The Legend of Prince Valiant

Defenders of the Earth

Danger Mouse

Victor and Hugo

Where's Wally

Captain Planet and the Planeteers

Widget the World Watcher

Chip 'n Dale

Duck Tales

Darkwing Duck (let's get dangerous!)

Tailspin

Thomas the Tank Engine

Snorks

Smurfs

Henry's Cat

Rugrats

Ahh! Real Monsters

Hey Arnold

I can easily watch any of the above when I feel like it. I have He-Man and TMNT on DVD

There were more, but it's late, and I need to go to bed

For those that wonder, yes, TV raised me more than my mother did ;)

hudsonvalley76
6 hours ago, doggalogga said:

For those that wonder, yes, TV raised me more than my mother did ;)

Me too!

Black Tourmaline

yes because i don't like swearing, violence or sexual themes...anything i like that isn't kid appropriate would be only because it's too boring for kids lol...as far as actual kids shows go, i really like Mahou Shoujo ("Magical Girl") anime in particular...Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, etc...i prefer my superheroes cute and in dresses...not a Mahou Shoujo but Kodocha anime was really good kids' school drama anime from bitd...Heybot! was a really weird kids anime...the thing about kids' anime is that they pretty much let them get really really weird as long as they stay clean...i'm a big fan of really strange but really wholesome type things...not really aware of anything current that's too interesting but i'm always on the lookout for bizarre things that are also adorable...kawaii life ❤️ 

also this:

Archived