Children's Television, Anyone?

Black Dragon

Black Dragon

Hi everyone - adult ace here. As I look back on my ace journey, even before realizing my orientation, I found myself gravitating towards children's shows as a source of entertainment, as they are always wholesome and free from the hypersexual messages of youth/adult-oriented media. I know I'm a grown up, but I just love me a heartwarming episode of Franklin the Turtle, Berenstain Bears, or The Magic School Bus (and don't get me wrong, I'm proud of it) 😜.

Does anybody else still enjoy watching kid's shows? 

If not, what do you watch? 

Avoiding allonormative entertainment can certainly be tricky!

As you should be proud of it. 🙂

In regards to Ace-friendly entertainment, I’m more likely to watch light, low-rated movies such as Grumpy Cat’s Worst Christmas Ever (2014).

I can enjoy some more "family" material, but generally I'm more driven to darker/serious stories, and dark humor. Thankfully, those quite frequently aren't very sexual; they have serious issues and don't have time to waste story beats or distract from the tone with a lot of romance or sex (the relationships they do have tend to be much more serious and dramatic).

"Heartwarming" isn't really something I look for usually. I can't get as interested in it, and I don't really relate... I guess I've just been a depressed, sad person almost my entire life and was never cheered up  by positive affirmations etc.

But I guess I like lighthearted "children's" stories over the general audience popular media that just focuses on superficial relationships and sex.

Thankfully, there is a renaissance in older properties and animation being revived for an adult audience, and new shows like Infinity Train.

Unfortunately, there are travesties like the Powerpuff Girls live action thing, taking the original and making them angsty young adults. They were perfectly fine in the originals. They're ruining the entire point and making it more crappy CW melodrama. I mean, I like dark stories, but just making characters angsty doesn't make the story good or dark.

I've re-watched some episodes of a few children's shows, from my youth, for nostalgia (and because I couldn't, exactly, remember the show's plots).

Mostly, though, I watch adult shows, foreign movies, documentaries, for the characters and plots I relate to, etc. Romantic/sexual relationships aren't the main focus (usually, the plots, characters or documentaries are focused on things like solving a murder/crime; climate change; immigration; LGBT+ characters; family issues; BLM; etc., so it doesn't bother me, much, when there's an, occasional, scene in a few movies/shows where the characters are talking about their romantic interests or there's a sex scene).

Transformers and Violent anime with little to no romantic sub plot....

and She rah

Janus the Fox

I’ve watched a few, like the number of Sonic TV series, SpongeBob, Hey Arnold!, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic, Adventure Time and Wander of Yonder amongst others over about 5 years.  Though difficult in tracking down some 90s-00s Cartoon Network classics.  I’ve also watched all of the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic along with others the BF is a fan of.

Black Dragon
47 minutes ago, Autumn Twilight said:

As you should be proud of it. 🙂

In regards to Ace-friendly entertainment, I’m more likely to watch light, low-rated movies such as Grumpy Cat’s Worst Christmas Ever (2014).

Sounds funny. I'll keep that one in mind for next Christmas :)

Black Dragon
33 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

I can enjoy some more "family" material, but generally..............................................

I can appreciate more serious issues in shows for sure - I've watched a few crime series that were quite well done. I hadn't heard of the Powerpuff Girls remake... probably wont watch it, lol. I hope you can find your own sort of happiness, in whatever way you can ❤️

Black Dragon
20 minutes ago, LeChat said:

I've re-watched some episodes of a few children's shows, from my youth, for nostalgia (and because I couldn't, exactly, remember the show's plots).

Mostly, though, I watch adult shows, foreign movies, documentaries, for the characters and plots I relate to, etc. Romantic/sexual relationships aren't the main focus (usually, the plots, characters or documentaries are focused on things like solving a murder/crime; climate change; immigration; LGBT+ characters; family issues; BLM; etc., so it doesn't bother me, much, when there's an, occasional, scene in a few movies/shows where the characters are talking about their romantic interests or there's a sex scene).

I think it's valuable to watch shows with diverse characters and about social issues, good for you :) The climate change stuff sure depresses me though! 

Black Dragon
10 minutes ago, AmberEyz said:

Transformers and Violent anime with little to no romantic sub plot....

and She rah

Haha, when in doubt, bring out the violence. Maybe I'll try an ep. of She Ra. 

Black Dragon
10 minutes ago, Janus DarkFox said:

I’ve watched a few, like the number of Sonic TV series, SpongeBob, Hey Arnold!, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic, Adventure Time and Wander of Yonder amongst others over about 5 years.  Though difficult in tracking down some 90s-00s Cartoon Network classics.

Sounds like a nice selection. I can totally hear the original opening of Yu-Gi-Oh echoing in my mind right now *proceeds to jam in a dorky manner*

One thing I was really happy about was the new Voltron. I loved Voltron in its original run in 1984, so I was excited to see the new Netflix one.

(Then I found out that the pedophiles began sexualizing Pidge, which... FFS.)

Catserole

The Moomins. Not the more recent cartoon, the older puppet version. I’ve rewatched it several times as an adult for the story and atmosphere. 

28 minutes ago, Black Dragon said:

Sounds funny. I'll keep that one in mind for next Christmas :)

“Some are born great, others achieve greatness and some watch Christmas movies starring cats. You know who you are. Mrow”. 🙃

We bare bears is great

Milque Toast

I just realised a lot of the media I consume is very child-friendly. I generally stay clear of older rated media because it isn't only the sexual tones that bother me. I'm just generally not a fan of heavy violence and especially dark themes. I mean, generally I really like stories with dark tones, like for example Death Note being my favourite anime of all time (and The Promised Neverland close behind), but I don't like when they are too heavy, like for example Higurashi or Tokyo Ghoul, they're just overdoing it, imo. Usually when I watch something darker/more mature, it's something I also need to mentally prepare myself more for, and even then it's still quite draining to watch, even if it's entertaining as hell. My favourite game series is Ace Attorney, which I just love for the plot, and it gets a lot darker as you continue down the series. I enjoy it especially as well because romance is not a main part of the game, more like an optional thing to be interested in. I ship Phoenix and Edgeworth (the two main characters), but I like that it isn't an actual part of gameplay or is something that is strongly represented. In terms of kids TV shows that I actually watch, I'm a big fan of my little pony, pokemon, and spongebob, hehe

Otherwise, I just play a lot of kiddie/nintendo games a lot, like pokemon, professor layton, animal crossing, and splatoon. ❤️

Black Dragon
5 hours ago, Catserole said:

The Moomins. Not the more recent cartoon, the older puppet version. I’ve rewatched it several times as an adult for the story and atmosphere. 

Looks cute! Thanks for the link.

Black Dragon
5 hours ago, iff said:

We bare bears is great

Cool, thanks!

Black Dragon
5 hours ago, Padparadscha said:

I just realised a lot of the media I consume is very child-friendly. I generally stay clear of older rated media because it isn't only the sexual tones that bother me. I'm just generally not a fan of heavy violence and especially dark themes. I mean, generally I really like stories with dark tones, like for example Death Note being my favourite anime of all time (and The Promised Neverland close behind), but I don't like when they are too heavy, like for example Higurashi or Tokyo Ghoul, they're just overdoing it, imo. Usually when I watch something darker/more mature, it's something I also need to mentally prepare myself more for, and even then it's still quite draining to watch, even if it's entertaining as hell. My favourite game series is Ace Attorney, which I just love for the plot, and it gets a lot darker as you continue down the series. I enjoy it especially as well because romance is not a main part of the game, more like an optional thing to be interested in. I ship Phoenix and Edgeworth (the two main characters), but I like that it isn't an actual part of gameplay or is something that is strongly represented. In terms of kids TV shows that I actually watch, I'm a big fan of my little pony, pokemon, and spongebob, hehe

Otherwise, I just play a lot of kiddie/nintendo games a lot, like pokemon, professor layton, animal crossing, and splatoon. ❤️

I don't like violence either... but L from Death Note seems pretty adorable (I haven't watched the anime). Happy gaming (and shipping)!

I dislike how people think you're childish just for watching a kids show. They're easy to follow and often have iconic characters. I love horrific shows like The Promised Neverland or Made in Abyss but I also enjoy kid-friendly shows like MLP or Miraculous Ladybug. I'm fine with gore but usually shows have sex scenes that add literally nothing to the plot. Anime has dark content and almost never has sexual scenes to burn upon my eyes which I love. I like children's shows that are for adults as well because it seems like a lot of kid's shows assume kids are idiots who are entertained by anything (to be fair, it's not exactly like children are picky)

Did somebody summon me?

I confess that I consume a lot of family-oriented media- shows, books, movies, etc. It's often a nice and wholesome escape from most mature content in general, as I've always been kind of a squeamish adult, I'll admit (I generally don't go above a PG-13 rating for most things). And I work with kids, so I can always use that as an excuse for consuming children's media, if I need one. :P

My absolute favorite show in the world is PBS Kid's "Arthur"- I love all of the witty humor (a lot of which is geared towards older viewers, too, not just kids!), and the diverse cast! I also still watch "Mister Rodger's Neighborhood" from time to time, especially after I've had a particularly bad mental health day. Mister Rodgers always has a way of making you feel like you're not garbage. ;~; (And it's cool to watch him explore how things are made, too!)

Then I also enjoy some of the other classic Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon cartoons from when I was a kid- Rugrats, PowerPuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, early episodes of SpongeBob... I've tried sampling some newer kids' shows, too, but haven't found a whole lot that have stuck with me yet, except for We Bare Bares. Oh, and Shawn the Sheep! (I have some other newer shows bookmarked as well that I've been meaning to check out, but just haven't gotten around to them yet.)

Sexual messages in media isn't something that gets to me much, more so something I think about less in the end, or something that makes me think more on my asexuality. That being said, I do like my cartoons. Especially action-oriented ones. Samurai Jack, the original "kid-friendly" series, I'm all about. Big fan of Avatar, who isn't. Favorite show is probably both Clone Wars series, the 2003 animated which I actually like more, and the CGI series, which is so huge and expansive, it's awesome. Bad Batch, at least judging on the first episode, is pretty good so far, looking forwards to the rest of the show.

Oh! and I also watched the first season of the new-ish Captain Underpants cartoon series on Netflix a little over a year ago, because I practically lived for those books when I was a kid (seriously, I don't know how I would have survived elementary school without them; I used to hate reading before Dav Pilkey made it fun for me). The cartoon series is pretty enjoyable, too! Before the pandemic, there were a couple of kids in my workshop classes who were big fans of the show, and I would spend so much time nerding out with them about Captain Underpants while we worked on projects together. They hadn't read any of the books, though, which kind of crushed me a little (since again, I devoured those books as a kid). But they were only six & seven years old, so there's still hope for them; I told them that if they love the show, then they'll love the books, too!

DemonicEnby

I still often watch cartoons I enjoyed in my childhood and youth, like Scooby Doo where are you, Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, the older My Little Pony series and movies, Garfield, Inspector Gadget, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Real Ghostbusters, some of the older Batman and X-Men series, Animaniacs, He-Man and She-Ra, Captain Planet, Bravestarr and I don't see any problems with that. 

GingerRose
On 5/9/2021 at 11:24 AM, Black Dragon said:

kid's shows?

Phineas and Ferb is a substantial part of my life.

GingerRose
16 hours ago, DemonicSister said:

She-Ra,

Original or reboot?

Sarah-Sylvia
Just now, GingerRose said:

Original or reboot?

Did you say Reboot? :D

original.png?1430947637

GingerRose
On 5/9/2021 at 11:24 AM, Black Dragon said:

they are always wholesome and free from the hypersexual messages of youth/adult-oriented media

Hunh....this is a really good point. My ace questioning eyes have been opened.

DemonicEnby
20 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Original or reboot?

Original and drawn. Mention anything in a new cgi look and drop dead. There were already too many of those *shudders*

Blue eyes white dragon

I watch a lot of kids things still!!!!

Archived