NYT article on platonic marriages

Priestess de Mantinea

Priestess de Mantinea

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/01/fashion/weddings/from-best-friends-to-platonic-spouses.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes&fbclid=IwAR109NERRcJbl2msURj1ILWAYR9s3oc7MoBjt7GMbppn0b-oPHPRG9stKxs

Great article on platonic marriages, and the idea of marrying one's best friend without any sexual involvement. Mentions asexual and aromantic identities specifically.

Being honest here, I don't really understand how the marriages described aren't romantic love?  Sounds that way to me, just without the physical element...

I think aromantics looking OkCupid for companionship are maybe not so aromantic as they think...  just my two cents as someone who used to identify as one.

5 minutes ago, cato said:

Being honest here, as someone who used to identify as aromantic, I don't really understand how the marriages described aren't romantic love?  Sounds that way to me, just without the physical element...

Defining the line between a queer platonic relationship and a romantic relationship can be very hard and confusing. It is mostly up to the people in the relationship to figure it out. Aromantics generally don't know how to really define "romance"... it isn't as easy as sex (and even sex can be a little fuzzy with sensual). In the case of the partners in the article, I believe they were fine with each other dating other people, but slept in the same bed (IIRC). Which is... confusing, and not quite how everyone defines a platonic partnership, but up to them.

Black Tourmaline

any visibility is good visibility i guess, but the article seemed a bit condescending...

"First came blood brothers, best friends who would solidify their bond by cutting themselves and swapping a bit of blood. Then came the tiny house besties, friends moving into adjoining tiny homes. (“Bestie Row” in Texas, for example.)"

i got a  "what are these wacky people going to get into next? marrying your dog?" kind of vibe...almost everything i've read so far still seems to be treating asexuality as some kind of freak show...

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2021 at 7:47 PM, Black Tourmaline said:

i got a  "what are these wacky people going to get into next? marrying your dog?" kind of vibe...almost everything i've read so far still seems to be treating asexuality as some kind of freak show...

I see where you're coming from. I didn't read it that way, personally.

Marry someone who won't touch me at all? I'd be better off marrying my daily-use TV. I've taken care of it, know every square inch of it and it has treated me better than any girl ever has. 🙄

Archived