Holland v The Netherlands   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you use

• Holland
    • (the) Netherlands
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

9 hours ago, Acing It said:

And doesn't compare US/UK. Still, interesting graph. The big peaks coincide with the US Civil War, the Spanish-American War and the 2 World Wars, which makes sense as furlough probably comes up a fair bit in military usage. The wikipedia barely mentions the military usage.

44 minutes ago, daveb said:

And doesn't compare US/UK. Still, interesting graph. The big peaks coincide with the US Civil War, the Spanish-American War and the 2 World Wars, which makes sense as furlough probably comes up a fair bit in military usage. The wikipedia barely mentions the military usage.

Oh it does, to some extent. There is a drop down with different options and one is British English, the other is US English.

2 minutes ago, Acing It said:

Oh it does, to some extent. There is a drop down with different options and one is British English, the other is US English.

Ah, I didn't realize that.

So the American graph brings out the Great Depression. I'm not sure what the spikes in the early 1800s relate to.

Meanwhile, the British one doesn't show such obvious spikes (more of a general upward trend through the 1800s) except for 1916.

Then the English fiction one has a couple of smaller spikes (around 1807 and the US Civil War, a sort of bump around WWI) and a big spike in 1944.

The picture I get from that is that military usage is probably one of the primary uses for the word. Will be interesting to see if a covid spike shows up whenever such graphs get updated.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, daveb said:

The picture I get from that is that military usage is probably one of the primary uses for the word. Will be interesting to see if a covid spike shows up whenever such graphs get updated.

I agree. I'm wondering about that as well. There should be a big spike starting just outside the present range. It's a shame you can't see the difference between other countries with English as a first or important language.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator