Who have you "come out" to?

Coleslaw

Who have you "come out" to?  

1. 1.

• If they know me, they know I'm A.
    • My family knows, but not my friends.
    • My friends know, but not my family.
    • It's mixed (Some family, some friends)
    • Only my significant other knows.
    • No one (save AVENites) knows.

This poll is closed to new votes

Technically, I've only mentioned asexuality *as such* to my significant other thus far...and my blog friends, but I wasn't thinking of them when I answered. My family kinda knows, though - even if they don't know about the broader definitions of asexuality given here, as someone who just doesn't want to have sex with another person regardless of drive or crushes, they've always known about my disinclinations towards relating to people sexually. My older sister had even sent me the "1% of adults considered asexual" article, even though I didn't fit that study's definition of asexuality (no sex drive, I think it was).

Parents, a few close friends, a couple 'friends' I told ages ago so they'd stop hitting on me relentlessly, my significant other. Though that's just to specify, he's under the 'close friend' category otherwise... I only tell people I think should know or I really want to know because it's a part of who I am and yada dada.

Hardly any people know about my asexuality, and in most circumstances, I don't need to tell them. I like my tea with milk and two sugars, but unless someone offers to make me a cup, it's irrelevant information. I think about my asexuality in the same way, so I only bring it up if the conversation requires it.

Exactly. The way I think about it, it's not like I have to prepare anyone for the possibility that I may be bringing a girl home someday instead of a guy, so who cares? It's not relevant unless someone wants to date me. And since I'm currently in a relationship, even that's not an issue right now. If someone asks, sure I'll tell them (although I don't know what would prompt them to ask in the first place), but I don't see the need to bring it up. I can just see it: me: "Guess what! I'm not having sex!" other person: *blank look of indifference...* :lol:

Frankly, I've often wondered if my family thought I was gay. I don't date often, and when I do it's usually for such a short period of time that my family never even knows about the guy, much less meets him. Plus, I was really involved in the GSA in college. And you know, if you're not dating members of the opposite sex, you *must* be hiding homosexual relationships, lol. Of course, they've met and love my current boyfriend, so these days they know I'm at least bi, if not straight, lol.

All family; most or all friends. Co-workers, not really.

But then, it's not really unusual for physicists to not be having sex, right? :lol: (J/k! I just couldn't resist, lol.)

Guest Arkhaeopteryx
I told my friends, but not my family, because I know they'll pull that "Oh, you'll grow into it" crap. Especially my mother, who can't seem to realise that sex and love do not, in fact, go hand-in-hand.

I told my mother and she gave me exactly that kind of crap. "Take one day at a time", she said. Yeah, sure. If she would think about it hard enough, she would realize that what she's suggesting is that I should live every day in doubt of what I am. No thanks.

So my answer is #3, because only one member of my family knows (at the moment) and she apparently doesn't give it any recognition. My two friends know and so do my Internet acquaintances.

On the other hand, if someone (be it a family member or a fellow student or anyone) asked about my sexual orientation, I don't think I would hesitate to tell the truth. It's gay to be A.*

*: in the old-fashioned meaning of the word 'gay'

I am Sasquatch

Jeez, I should make my own thread regarding this.

Hardly any people know about my asexuality, and in most circumstances, I don't need to tell them. I like my tea with milk and two sugars, but unless someone offers to make me a cup, it's irrelevant information. I think about my asexuality in the same way, so I only bring it up if the conversation requires it.

I really must say I love this quote. I used it a few times over the last week. Thank you, Jongleur, for your eloquence! It's awesome!

I came out to my mom, a few friends (most of them I don't really speak to anymore come to think of it :?), and my boyfriend.

I'm out to my family(not extended though) and my friends. There are other people who are aquiantances who know because it has either come up in conversation or someone else has told them (which i'm ok with). However, i don't come out or talk to it with people who i know won't be comfortable with it.

So i guess i'm in some kind of category between "If they know me, they know im A" and "Some family Some friends"

Well I don't wave a asexy flag around ( although I do have a couple shirts ) but every one and their cousin knows I'm asexual. It was funny, I ran into a buddy of mine who was walking with a friend. He introduced me and his friend said right away " oh you're the guy who doesn't have sex. "

I laughed.

Two of my close friends know, although I have never come out and said it even to them. Other than that, I never pretended to be interested in dating or anything (I am also aromantic) so I think my friends basically all know. My parents don't seem to have caught on though... :roll:

My mother knows, as does my close circle of friends. I accidentally let it slip in a class once, but I'm pretty sure everyone took it as a joke and forgot after making a few "do you reproduce by budding?" statements.

• 1 month later...

I've only come out to two friends, but I hope to come out to just about everyone very soon!

I haven't actually come out to anyone outside of the Internet. Most of my friends, both in college and high school, don't seem to care much about dating/sex, so the topic has never really come up. At the very least, they never discuss such topics with me.

As for my family, no one knows, though I do have the sneaking suspicion that my mother thinks I'm homosexual. My father doesn't seem to care about that part of my life. My sister and I don't really talk much, and she wouldn't care much anyway. My grandparents have their grandkids, and my cousins are more capable than me of producing great-grandkids, so I'm off the hook with them. So none of them know, and I don't see much reason to just blurt it out to them anytime soon. If anyone wants to know, I figure they can just ask me themselves.

I came out to my closest online friends about, ooh, ten minutes ago. Other than that nobody knows for sure.

Guest Arkhaeopteryx
So my answer is #3, because only one member of my family knows (at the moment) and she apparently doesn't give it any recognition. My two friends know and so do my Internet acquaintances.

I told my father some weeks ago. He couldn't understand it either but at least he didn't try to convince me that I am not an asexual. I am sure he accepts me as I am.

So my situation has changed from #3 to #4.

My friends, who are mostly online, know because I mention it occasionally in my online journal. I'm not sure I officially "came out," but online journaling sort of encourages the sharing of too much information sometimes. :lol: I haven't had anybody take issue with it.

My parents know I'm not interested in relationships or kids or anything, but we've never discussed it. I made a snarky remark about being pretty much asexual to my mother one time (before I'd even found AVEN, I think) but I don't think she was paying attention. :roll:

No one except of people from AVEN know, which does not mean it's any sort of secret - if people are interested, I am ready to tell them, but so far I haven't got into any conversation on this topic.

I'm "out" to the whole freakin' world (!), or at least to any of them that watch TV, but so far no stranger has made the connection between me and that weirdo on 20/20 or Montel.

That suits me fine. My family and my close friends know.

-GB

Most of my friends know I've never had intercourse and that I hate sex talk, so coming out as asexual to them would be like outing Liberace. My roommate/best friend has looked over my shoulder at this board enough times that he surely knows, and my boyfriend knows.

As for telling my parents....my mom knows I don't want kids but she's still holding out hope, so if I told her that making a baby is just as repulsive to me as having and raising a baby, I think it would hurt her. Besides, I have more pressing things to not tell them, like the fact that my older man friend might become their son-in-law in the not too distant future.

AndAPickle?

Okay, so I haven't technically "come out" to anyone, but I came pretty close a couple of days ago. (By pretty close, I mean all but said it without using the word "asexual".) It was mostly because my roomie was telling me waaaaay more than I needed to know and I just wanted her to STFU.

I basically said, "I can't give you much input, because I'm not really all that in to sex. It just doesn't interest me at all."

She then went on to tell me how lucky I am, because at one point she was worried she was becoming a sex addict (sounds like a bad sitcom pitch... the asexual and the nympho) and then carried on telling me about her sex life... *sigh*

All my friends know. A lot of my peers know I have a thing for androgyny. Ironically, I think the only person who is absolutely clueless is my boyfriend. ><; Thankfully he's not "that type".

One friend, who then told lots of other friends, but not my family, I'm not sure when/if to tell them though.

EDIT:

As a funny note: the original friend had explained what asexuality was, before that I thought my sex drive(or whatever) was just taking its time to kick in

Archived