Academy Awards

Masterman

Hello!

Anyone else will be watching the Oscars this Sunday? I'm a cinephile and I watch as many films as I can every year,

Click on the image below to see my thoughts on absolutely every film nominated in every category of the 93rd. Academy Awards! And comment if you want to discuss any of them!

Preceremony.png

LeRatatouille

I'm thinking about watching but I have no idea about films

Purple Red Panda
35 minutes ago, Masterman said:

I'm a cinephile

Same, which is why I hate the Oscars 😉

1 hour ago, Purple Red Panda said:

Why, are you suggesting that Green Book wasn't actually the best movie of 2018?? 🤯 Shocking!

Promising Young Woman for all awards. Where it is not nominated, then Minari. If neither, then trial of chicago 7

Also first year sound editing and sound mixing which makes me happy. Not for any film reason but it is reassuring to know someone is as far behind on bojack horseman as me

I used to follow along and try to borrow all of the best picture nominees (I thought their taste in movies must be better, more "official" than my own, where I sort of felt as though something must've been wrong with me, for not liking some of the films).

I'm much happier about choosing to see movies that I like and think look interesting, rather than forcing myself to watch what the academy or other film industries like. Instead of films being enjoyable, it was starting to feel like a chore, trying to watch so many films that I thought were unoriginal--because I'd seen their plot in other movies, already.

I didn't even know what the nominees were, this year, until I read your post! I didn't keep up with them this year, probably, like other people (i.e. too busy worrying about COVID-19). The funny part is, I happened to request a handful of the nominees from the library a couple of days ago (that they'd just added to the catalog, to purchase), because I saw their trailers and thought they looked interesting.

I might follow along, when the winners are announced live, online. I've learned that just because certain groups might not choose them, that that doesn't mean they're awful movies, that I have my own taste in films, due to my background (immigrant relatives and, mostly, living where a high percentage of the population is African-American), and they have theirs, due to their background.

I don't/can't relate to popular, American t.v. shows, movies, etc, about wealthy, white people, living in upper-class neighborhoods among only all white people and attending private high schools/colleges.

Now that the ceremony is over, here are my conclusions:

Postceremony.png

On 4/23/2021 at 9:41 PM, Purple Red Panda said:

I guess you're suggesting one isn't a real, sophisticated film lover unless you hate the Oscars, but I find that to be untrue and a bit elitist. 

Sure, one can disagree with a lot of their choices, but they're a big part of film history, and what happens each year shapes the industry like it or not.

On 4/23/2021 at 11:38 PM, iff said:

Promising Young Woman for all awards.

That's what I wanted too, as I wrote in my blog! :)

Purple Red Panda
13 minutes ago, Masterman said:

I guess you're suggesting one isn't a real, sophisticated film lover unless you hate the Oscars, but I find that to be untrue and a bit elitist. 

I pretty much dislike all awards ceremonies but reserve my greatest levels of loathing for the Oscars. It's an exercise in industry backslapping where Hollywood mogals can sit around and pretend they produce worthwhile art when in general they do not. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a fairly conservative organisation that has no real interest in anything that borders on the challenging or the experimental and as such it tends to dish out its major awards the fairly safe middlebrow films. This isn't in itself wrong and if Hollywood wants to have a big corporate shindig and wallow in self congratulation then that's fine I guess but they should probably stop pretending that it is anything other than what it is.

My favorite recent trend from all of these is Hollywood seeing foreign films being very popular, stroking their chins, and saying "what we need to do is remake those films in America with American actors and crews, set in America, washing away cultural undertones for American audiences" and rarely considering them for awards outside of international.

13 hours ago, Purple Red Panda said:

I pretty much dislike all awards ceremonies but reserve my greatest levels of loathing for the Oscars. It's an exercise in industry backslapping where Hollywood mogals can sit around and pretend they produce worthwhile art when in general they do not. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a fairly conservative organisation that has no real interest in anything that borders on the challenging or the experimental and as such it tends to dish out its major awards the fairly safe middlebrow films. This isn't in itself wrong and if Hollywood wants to have a big corporate shindig and wallow in self congratulation then that's fine I guess but they should probably stop pretending that it is anything other than what it is.

Again, I can respect your intense loathing of the thing (though, wow it is burning!), but what I didn't like and you didn't adress this time -pretty much confirming it- was your aseveration that one can't be a cinephile if you watch the Awards. Taking in consideration I had just stated that I always watch them, it does feel a lot like a personal attack, particularly with that ironic emoji.

Snobbery is fine, I guess. Just don't use it as a weapon.

Purple Red Panda
4 hours ago, Masterman said:

it does feel a lot like a personal attack, particularly with that ironic emoji

It wasn't intended to be and I apologise if I upset you.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay; so far, I've seen 'Promising Young Woman.'

I felt disappointed by the ending. (spoilers for the movie)

Spoiler

I didn't like that the main character ended up being murdered. I thought, since the character was clever enough to put on an act and fake being drunk, in order to fool all of those guys at bars, all the time, for months/years, that she'd also be clever enough to prepare to get herself out that situation, in the end, by pretending. I thought the character would pretend to be dead by not moving, in order to fool and get the guy to stop suffocating her (and to let him feel panicked, show him a bit of a lesson in how assault victims feel).

One movie that I liked from 2020, that wasn't nominated was 'Dating Amber.' I thought Fionn O'Shea's performance was very good...trigger warning for the movie, though, as it includes "f" slurs for gay people, which could, for those who've been bullied, cause some PTSD symptoms. I couldn't help but think of how I'd been mistreated, growing up, after the movie.

8 hours ago, LeChat said:

Okay; so far, I've seen 'Promising Young Woman.'

I felt disappointed by the ending. (spoilers for the movie)

Hide contents

I didn't like that the main character ended up being murdered. I thought, since the character was clever enough to put on an act and fake being drunk, in order to fool all of those guys at bars, all the time, for months/years, that she'd also be clever enough to prepare to get herself out that situation, in the end, by pretending. I thought the character would pretend to be dead by not moving, in order to fool and get the guy to stop suffocating her (and to let him feel panicked, show him a bit of a lesson in how assault victims feel).

My own take on the ending of promising young woman is that

[trigger warning for this] 

Spoiler

She may have felt depressed like she had wanted to end things like her friend did but if she had did, then the guy would not have been punished.

So by making the guy murder her, he pays for it. 

I felt really dissapointed and sad when She died, but when the whole of her plan comes together, I thought it was a terrific ending

Archived