When do you *actually* update your device(s) compared to when you get a notification about updates?

A User

When the device you're on gives you a notification that it needs to update, when do you actually update?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. When the device you're on gives you a notification that it needs to update, when do you actually update?

• as soon as I see that it needs to be updated
    • a couple hours after I see it needs an update
    • a few days after
    • when I get the chance
    • it varies
    • other (please do comment down below)

This poll is closed to new votes

I have no idea where I just got the idea from. Probably because my pc needs to have system updates rn lol, and I don't wanna update it right now bc I still wanna be on here. Probably gonna update at the end of the day.

OWO

Turn On or Off Windows Update Restart Notifications in Windows 10 |  Tutorials

Usually within a few days. Rarely immediately. Not generally much longer than a week at most.

• Like 1

Usually when it starts to get annoying. I've got more "important" things to do, like completing my daily puzzles, than waiting for my phone to update.

• Like 5

Sometimes my phone and my laptop will pester me for weeks on end to update them lol.

• Like 2

Immediately if I'm not doing something that prevents me from restarting. My laptop at least has an SSD even if all the other components are feeling pretty old nowadays, so restarting is almost instantaneous.

• Like 3
DemonicEnby

For me that really depends on the device needing the update.

On mobile phone never immediately, usually a few days after - android too often has faulty updates for that. On my PC it depends on the update itself. The last bios update shot everything to hell as it didn't start altogether and HP recovery point was not compatible with it. So I gave it to a friend who had to set it up newly - thank god for extern hdds or I would have lost so much data. So yeah, learned my lesson and check before doing any update on what it does and rather wait a few days before having such problems again. And wisely this time no HP recovery, was preinstalled before so yeah. Not a bug I wanted to encounter.

Though loosing nearly all savedata to various games kinda sucked big time 😅

• Like 1

On my computers when i turn them off. And my phone directly because I can't remove the notification.

• Like 1

I don't 😳

• Like 2

Not in mid-zoom conference, that's for sure.

• Like 1
Anthracite_Impreza

Can't on this laptop, refuses to ever complete an update (as in, I can leave my laptop on for 8 hours and the update never gets anywhere, just freezes on a black screen) so they end up getting ignored. Don't care, updates from windows only ever add more shit and break things anyway.

• Like 2

I once felt so good 'cuz I was able to do it when I first saw it. I've gotten better, where it only takes some procrastination. I used to wait until my phone basically would not let me use it without it updating first.

• Like 1
LeRatatouille

It takes even years. I'm extremely lazy...

• Like 1
Sarah-Sylvia

When I notice. Most of the time it doesn't actually tell me, but I notice something or other saying needing to restart lol.

• Like 2

As a computer security person, I always update everything right away, especially since I know for a fact that untimely updates are the top #1 reason for people's systems to get infected with all sorts of malware.

Yes, much to my surprise I've seen that even more often than #2, which is human stupidity/error (think clicking on the wrong link and giving away your password, that kind of stupidity and error).

When I did more in IT, it was immediate, back when I followed the release notes and everything.

Now... well, updating systems are much more advanced. Most OSes can go on for weeks perfectly fine before needing a restart. I typically ignore them. I usually have tons of applications, work, notes, browsers with tabs I'm doing things with and saving for later... when I catch up on things, I'll get around to it. My phone i don't really care about, it'll bug me eventually. My Surface just decides to reboot itself, which is fine.

I'm pretty obsessive about security and not installing many things or getting malware or other issues... ESET takes care of anything I don't catch, which is rare.

• Like 1
Janus the Fox

Depends for me, I have a weariness with Updates, the older a device is.  Often-times I hold off Updates for a few days, weeks or months, depending on how major the Update is with the Current hardware.  Some device like the PS4 blocks Internet connection or refuses to sign into PSN, similar with the iPhone and iPad.  I wait a few days or let it auto-update, unless the device is very old or it's known in the Media there's an issue with it.  I don't Update automatically Old Android devices, those are usually where the update and rollback problems most occur.  These are usually the parents phones, they don't connect online and are rarely in heavy use.

• Like 1

Usually several weeks later because I never feel like doing it so I just procrastinate forever

• Like 1

Well, when it comes to my laptop, I delay it so much because I have so many things open, that my laptop gets angry and updates itself and is asleep sometimes 😅

With the phone, just a few days ;)))

Usually overnight, when I know I won't be in the middle of something when it wants to update 

• Like 1

Usually when I have stayed up later than I planned and just want to go to bed already. :P 

• Like 1

There's no general rule. On my private computer (GNU Debian/Linux) I don't get any notifications at all and I do updates whenever I see fit. On my work computer on the other hand (Windows) I don't even wait for the update notifications, but I manually check for updates whenever it will be running overnight, just to make sure I don't have to start my computations all over again because of an unnecessary reboot.

• Like 1

Never.

And regarding apps or softwares, only when it's necessary to use their updated version...

My laptop is still under Windows 7, so there are no updates to be made anymore, and when I have to update a game, it takes some seriously long time (often for it not to work anymore after the update)

And I disabled automatic updates on my phone, which overrides my consent and still updates some apps without my approval (which I give [when given the choice] under the aforementioned conditions)

• Like 1

Other....... Pretty much never.

I'm pretty sure my laptop's far behind in terms of updates because of it.

I do update my apps on my phone though, but even then, only when I open them and they say I can't use them until I've updated. Or sometimes, every few months, I'll do a mass update of all my apps at once.

• Like 1
Anomaly Q3Xr

I am on my PC 16-18 hours a day, whenever I am not at my partner's, and don't relish the thought of having to not use it for a relatively short while whilst it updates, so I keep it waiting until I am heading to my partner's, or I go for an appointment and thus have some time for it to do its thing.

• Like 1

Mm, it depends.  I'd say a few days, because eventually the notification bugs me.

I used to be more prompt, but I found out the hard way by upgrading to Catalina from Mojave on MacOS that sometimes it is, in fact, better to wait.  I work in tech and a lot of things broke because this or that thing was not yet ready for Catalina, and meanwhile I had merrily gone ahead and upgraded right away.  Oops.  So now I wait a bit for major upgrades.

Apple is really obnoxious about pestering for updates, though.  It's not easy.

• Like 1

I procrastinate til I piss off my devices to the point were they take matters into their own hands and update on their own against my will.

• Like 3

Over some years I found that Windows updates screw my laptops up so much, I simply don't do it anymore.  I stumbled onto a provision in Windows that allows you to postpone an update for up to a month, and I just note down when I have to do that again.  I do update my phone because all I use it for is texting and checking email, and it's not Windows-based.