Is it really reasonable to classify semisexuality into asexual groups?

Diana Диана

I find it odd for a group whose identity has been coined here, on AVEN, and who is also defined on the website, not to be perceived as part of this community... now I guess it depends on the individual and their own set of values whether demi people are part of the community or not, similarly to aces who consider or don't consider themselves part of the LGBTQ+ community or to people who consider aces part of LGBTQ+ or not. 

7 hours ago, Georgi said:

I find it odd for a group whose identity has been coined here, on AVEN, and who is also defined on the website, not to be perceived as part of this community

Where did you read that? :huh: 

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

Where did you read that? :huh: 

Here:  https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/07/no-lust-at-first-sight-day-i-finally-realised-i-was-a-demisexual

Demisexuality was first coined in an online forum in 2006 by a member of Asexual Visibility and Education Network (Aven), a website designed in 2001 to provide a resource on all things asexual – asexuality being the description for a person who does not experience sexual attraction at all.

Now, Wikipedia says it's actually 2008.

6 minutes ago, Georgi said:

That doesn't say anything about them not being part of the community.

Just now, Homer said:

That doesn't say anything about them not being part of the community.

I didn't want to imply there was an article who said that... I was just answering to the OP's question.

1 minute ago, Georgi said:

I didn't want to imply there was an article who said that... I was just answering to the OP's question.

Still, AVEN as a community and asexuality as an orientation are separate things.

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

Still, AVEN as a community and asexuality as an orientation are separate things.

Yes, they are not the same, but they are interconnected I guess.

Anthracite_Impreza
2 hours ago, Homer said:

QFT.

On 4/20/2021 at 7:41 AM, Georgi said:

Yes, they are not the same, but they are interconnected I guess.

Not really. Asexuality is an orientation. The AVEN or asexual community as a whole is separate. The community has aces, Grey's, demis, sexuals, etc. The community involves many LGBT non-aces who aid the asexual education and resources. The community is huge and inclusive. The label itself has a set definition. 

To not be asexual doesn't mean not part of a community or not welcome. I am part of the community. I do not count myself as asexual. 

Archived