What does the term "sexual desire" mean to you?

MaryofMayo

Since becoming single again and learning there is such a thing as an Asexual Spectrum, I'm constantly encountering that phrase, yet it seems like a very subjective thing and I never know what, exactly, is meant.

spencexists

I just think of it as a deep want for sex but honestly idk

Anthracite_Impreza

A desire for sex.

How much clearer does it get? What @Anthracite_Impreza said. A desire for sex. Desiring sex. Sexual desire.

Usually more in the context of desire for a specific individual, like "I feel sexual desire for my husband" or whatever. Rather than general horniness.

It means a desire for sex - but that desire can take multiple forms for different people, or even different forms for the same person under different conditions.

It can beseeing someone whos appearance makes them desirable, and want to simply F them.  It can be feeling a general desire for touch and closeness in a romantic relationship that naturally blends into touch and sexual contact. 

It can be a sort of casual thing - "boy "he / she is hot, wouldn't it be great to have sex", but then forgotten a minute later if nothing happens.  It can be a long term imagining, fantasizing, romanticizing about being with a person. 

So I think there is no simple answer. 

As someone who used to identify as Asexual, but now identifies as demi, it's simply a feeling that I want to engage in sexual activity with someone. Where sexuality is variable is in when this occurs. For some it's frequently, for others it's less frequent. For some it's part of building a relationship, for others it doesn't happen until you're in a relationship. 

It's easy to confuse sexual desire with libido and vice versa as well. Your libido can be at a different level to sexual desire, which is why even some people in a sexual relationship need DIY occasionally, as well as those who aren't in a relationship, or do not want to be in one. 

Desiring to connect on a sexual level with another person (even if you don't have anyone specific in mind, you can still feel that desire without a target!!!!). Whereas being 'horny' or like, just aroused in your genitals, on its own only needs masturbation which is why asexuals can experience that. But as a non-asexual person I can experience a desire for partnered sex even WITHOUT being horny or aroused, I can still feel 'yeah, I'd like some of those sexytimes' in an abstract way. An ace doesn't get that 'sexual desire' even if they experience arousal and masturbate etc. Hope that answers your question!! :) 

Archived