I started playing Stardew Valley

catkid

I haven't been playing that long, but I'm already so addicted to it lmao I haven't had so much playing a video game in a long time!!

How far in are you? It's definitely addictive and there's so much content to explore

@FauxDandy I'm halfway through my second year. There really is! When I go through the wiki, I'll see something mentioned in passing and I'm like, "The WHAT??" lmao

Welcome to the only game you ever need. I personally have 500 hours in it, and that's no where near the highest I've heard.

@Smoog77 Dang! I can def see myself putting in the time lmao it's deceptively addictive! 

YAAAAAAY I'm so happy for you!! I have logged HUNDREDS of hours in Stardew Valley and keep coming back to it periodically. It just gets better and better as you go. Do you have any screen grabs of your farm? I love to see what other people do for their setups. 

thecoffeecricket

I've heard so many good things about this game -- can I ask which platform you use to play it?

great game, always so much to do. maybe we need a post-your-farm thread?

@skal Oh, that could be fun! Once I get a little farther, I would love to show my progress!

21 hours ago, Smoog77 said:

Welcome to the only game you ever need. I personally have 500 hours in it, and that's no where near the highest I've heard.

846.7 hours according to Steam. I was not expecting it to be that high. And I have not played it since January.

7 hours ago, catkid said:

@skal Oh, that could be fun! Once I get a little farther, I would love to show my progress!

I think it would be fun but dang I gotta go clean up my farm first too haha

@catkid Beautiful! You've already made it super far! Winter year 1? Your building placement is so different than mine. I always spread my buildings so far apart from each other. ...Not really sure why though, it just means I have to walk farther to get to my poor chickens. 😂 

@Mogz Winter year 2, actually! I love being able to put my buildings into neat little rows 😭 once I have a bunch of buildings, I'm gonna start putting down pathways, it's gonna look so good! Honestly, I have way more inspiration for how to make everything look on my Stardew Valley farm than anything to do with my Animal Crossing island. 😨

I had a very stormy, on-and-off love/hate relationship with Harvest Moon for years.  Kept crawling back to it every few years, only to get tired of it again.

Stardew Valley made me break up with Harvest Moon and serve it divorce papers once and for all.  I had long-unaddressed QoL qualms with Harvest Moon already, but Stardew improved things I didn't even think of.  It is so much better than Harvest Moon, and now I can never go back.

My only regret in Stardew Valley is that everyone is horrifically ugly.  (Still beats how Harvest Moon: A Tale of Two Towns has marriageable bachelors who look 5 years old???)

@cato Same, actually. Even the Story of Seasons games are kind of meh lately! But, I've been thoroughly enjoying my time with Stardew Valley. Plus, it's so EXPANSIVE. There's always more stuff to do. I feel like with HM games, once you reach a certain point, you just sort of run out of things. 

@AJ 0688 I also recently started a second save file! as if I couldn't be MORE addicted to it lmao

On 4/15/2021 at 6:40 PM, cato said:

My only regret in Stardew Valley is that everyone is horrifically ugly.

For what it's worth, I downloaded this mod before I even started playing, and find it a vast improvement over the vanilla character designs.

@AJ 0688 I haven't really messed with sprinklers too much. I like watering them myself. I guess I'll start feeling different when I'm able to plant A LOT of crops lmao

2 hours ago, catkid said:

@AJ 0688 I haven't really messed with sprinklers too much. I like watering them myself. I guess I'll start feeling different when I'm able to plant A LOT of crops lmao

The sprinklers are useful but it only waters in four directions and not in diagonal directions. So I have a sprinkler but I have to water the remaining plants around it so they don't die 😂🤣 #sprinklerissohelpful

53 minutes ago, AJ 0688 said:

The sprinklers are useful but it only waters in four directions and not in diagonal directions. So I have a sprinkler but I have to water the remaining plants around it so they don't die

It does not sound as if you have unlocked iridium sprinklers yet; they are an end game item. A certain merchant also sells them (on Friday, I believe).  

3 hours ago, catkid said:

I guess I'll start feeling different when I'm able to plant A LOT of crops

Strawberries + preserve containers in spring.

Blueberries + preserve containers in summer.

Cranberries + preserve containers in autumn.

And take the Artisan perk when you can. No need to plant loads of crops unless you find it fun. Do what is fun--that is the most important part of the game.

2 hours ago, jkmlynch said:

It does not sound as if you have unlocked iridium sprinklers yet; they are an end game item. A certain merchant also sells them (on Friday, I believe).  

The quality sprinkler is available earlier (becomes craftable with mid-level farming, is randomly buyable from the cart, and is a bundle completion prize), and will water the adjacent corner tiles—no need to go straight to iridium.  I didn't even bother with the plain sprinklers.

4 hours ago, ElloryJaye said:

The quality sprinkler is available earlier (becomes craftable with mid-level farming, is randomly buyable from the cart, and is a bundle completion prize), and will water the adjacent corner tiles—no need to go straight to iridium.

True. I usually deep dive skull cavern early (get to level 100 at least twice before Spring 2), so I usually skip ahead to iridium (or buy them from a certain merchant). But I agree that it is best to skip plain sprinklers--not worth the expenditure of crafting materials early on.

45 minutes ago, jkmlynch said:

True. I usually deep dive skull cavern early (get to level 100 at least twice before Spring 2), so I usually skip ahead to iridium (or buy them from a certain merchant).

You're better at the fighting/twitch part of the game than I am, then (or at least enjoy it more).  I'm not sure I ever got even twenty levels into Skull Cavern.

13 minutes ago, ElloryJaye said:

I'm not sure I ever got even twenty levels into Skull Cavern.

Lots of staircases, bombs, and spicy eels. Don't fight (unless you are doing a challenge or if you absolutely have to). Use staircases to skip to level 50 or so (where iridium becomes abundant). Then use a bomb to destroy any iridium ore you find. If you find that level's staircase (or a hole), great. If not, lay down a staircase and keep going. And keep eating the spicy eels along the way. Oh, a farm totem helps too so you don't pass out.

18 minutes ago, ElloryJaye said:

I'm not sure I ever got even twenty levels into Skull Cavern.

A good strategy is to check the fortune teller TV channel for a day when your luck is already running high, and then eat food that raises your luck even higher (such as pumpkin soup, or lucky lunch.) That'll increase your odds of finding ladders earlier. There's also a wearable ring that increases luck by +1, although I don't think it's craftable -- I got mine after it was dropped by a monster.

Crafting or buying desert totems and warping over there as soon as you wake up, so you don't waste time waiting for the bus, will also increase your chances of getting to level 100 by day's end. Have a really good weapon, bring lots of extra food, and jump into every single pit you find immediately.

Good luck!

[Edit: staircases also do help, although I managed to get down to 100 without them, probably through dumb luck.]

13 minutes ago, SocialMorays said:

There's also a wearable ring that increases luck by +1, although I don't think it's craftable

It might be after update 1.5. I would need to double-check to be certain. You can combine it with another ring once you make it to the heart of the volcano on the island to provide additional benefits. Edit: I just stopped by Salty Mermaid Farm to doublecheck. No, that ring is cannot be crafted. It's name is the Lucky Ring.

Oh, and since update 1.5, pineapples are one of the better crops. And they are a multiple harvest crop. Plus, no crows on the island or storms, and seasons don't matter. So plant as many as you can, do other things, and return only at harvesting time. (Just watch out for weeds on the island).

Archived