If you could, would you change your sexuality?

Janus the Fox
Message added by Janus the Fox,

Locking this one as it’s well over a year old

Janus the Fox

Administrator 

Would you change your sexuality if you could? From being an asexual to become an allosexual? Or gay to being straight? (Some could choose to be straight whether their allo or not since being straight doesn't mean automatic hate from loved ones/society). I honestly wouldn't change a thing about me. I might never experience sexual or romantic attraction in my life but I don't think I'm missing out on much. You can't know you're truly missing out on something when you don't understand the feeling of "missing" it. I feel content with my life. I love myself for who I am as a person. If you don't feel like me, then why (if its not too personal to ask)? And what sexuality would you want to have if you could change it?

• Like 1
Sarah-Sylvia

Probably not, I feel like I came to this point because of realizing what really matters to me. Then again maybe I just don't know what I'm missing out, since some sexual people are able to put love and sex together when I'm not. Would I want to be able to? I don't feel it. The one reason would be to be able to find someone a lot easier, since more people are sexual. Now that I think about it, maybe it's a tougher (hypothetical) decision than I thought XD. But I think I'm ok how I am :)

• Like 7
Rhyn Corinn

As frustrated as I am being so unlike most people, I wouldn't change anything either. I wouldn't feel like me if I changed those parts of myself, they're all intertwined together and I would rather continue in this frustration than simply...not be me anymore. It's why I don't listen much to things like "you just need to get more interests" because the fact is if I have to forcibly act like a different person in order to connect with people, they're not connecting with me anyway.

• Like 6
Blue eyes white dragon

I was curious at one point for curiosities sake, but that's a hard no from me.

• Like 3
spencexists

Nah, I fell content. I like being ace and not feeling the societal pressure of sex because I just don't give a shit.

• Like 3
fooledbysecrecy

nah. would be too much of a pain trying to 'get any' or form a relationship with my looks and personality. 😂 

on a serious note, this is who i am, finding out i was asexual so many things just clicked into place.

• Like 2

I might want to become a lesbian. I'm somewhere on the border of the asexual spectrum, and it's just sooo annoying an confusing. And maybe other people and even myself would understand me better. I guess

• Like 1

Mm nope. I had a difficult time at first reconciling being bisexual after several years of thinking I was just gay (although I did think I was bi before that), but I'm quite happy being bisexual now. I'd choose it over gay, straight, or asexual (nothing against any of those sexualities, btw).

• Like 1
Sarah-Sylvia

It's nice to see, everyone just wants to be themselves :)

• Like 7

The idea of enjoying sex with someone seems appealing... then I see all the things people suffer through trying to satisfy sexual desires and find partners, and remember that I feel perfectly content.

*Romance*... romance sounds attractive... can't imagine devoting myself to one person for the rest of my life...

I'd still rather just have friends. Poly-pan-affectionate. I could use hugs and cuddles, but sex... no thanks. I don't need temporary physical pleasure dictating my attractions.

• Like 4

If I could change something about my sexuality it would be the fact I don't find randoms sexually appealing. If I did, I'd find it a lot easier to be with people who love sexual gratification from others, I think. I have an odd emotional attachment to sex being special since I can only feel the attraction for someone after a long time and only for them 

But thats not really changing orientation.... maybe ridding myself of demi tendencies. 

I wouldn't change my sexuality, but if I could change how I feel about it, I would. It would be much easier if I wasn't uncomfortable about my attraction to people, though I have been working on that, I wish I could just be comfortable with it. Although I don't really mind being mildly sex-repulsed, it would be nice if I weren't. 

• Like 3
VeryAsexyIndeed

Nah not anymore. I used to want to change it when I thought I was aro, cause I wanted to be gay, and now I’ve realized that I’m a lesbian sooo, my wish came true?? Idk, but I wouldn’t change it now

• Like 1

Nope. I like being me. But a younger version of me would have given anything to be just like everyone else, so I understand why someone would crave a chance to change who they are.

• Like 2

If anything I would want to become more asexual on the spectrum. Right now I -think- I feel sexual attraction in certain situations (very very rarely) and I can become aroused without wanting sex. If I could, I would just do away with all that nonsense.

• Like 2
EineKleineNachtmusik

No, I have no need to change myself, but I would not mind changing the World! :D

In other words, if there is a problem, it is not because of me! (who is narcissistic here, huh?! :D

• Like 3
quadfasciata

Shoot. This is the pretty much the basis of my questioning right now. So...maybe?

• Like 1
Abigail Rose

I would change the way it makes me feel if someone else shows sexual interest in me. It isn't a matter of how they identify. Everybody is amazing just the way they are. It is how my life's experiences have caused me to feel the need to avoid everyone in that way though. I get ill at the thought of it even as I type this response. I would prefer, to be certain that I was in the "friend zone only" category, in the eyes of others. That way I wouldn't feel the anxiety I get over the subject. 

• Like 5

Oh sure. 

Maybe it's going against the grain, but I've never felt particularly proud to be asexual. I am used to it, but I've also missed out on a number of otherwise wonderful life partners and potential compatibilities because of it. 

I don't wallow in it; I have accepted that I may never have the life partner I always dreamed of, and I do like the independence I have now. Still, there's always a part of me that wishes I could just be heterosexual. It would make things so much easier, and probably more fun. 

• Like 7
BeautifulLights

Am I the only one here who 100% would jump at the chance? I would love to actually experience desire and attraction. I would love to not have to constantly fear that I'll never find a partner who is willing to put up with my waxing and waning - but mostly waning - interest in sex.

• Like 4
TheLovelyDovely

Mmmm no I probably wouldn’t change it. I’m quite happy being asexual and aromantic, and I’m scared of the day that that part of me changes, if there ever will be one. 

• Like 1

I am sex-repulsed, yet I have sexual desire. That is not a fun place to be in. I would love to have no sexual desire, no sexual attraction, no libido, etc. and become "completely" asexual. I see sexual desire as purely irrational and I don't want to have it.

• Like 7
everywhere and nowhere

No way. I'm sex-averse, so I wouldn't want to create conditions under which I could have sex. I just don't want such a variant of my future to ever exist.

I also wouldn't want to be heteroromantic, which proves that there's some "negative preference" goin' on, some component of aversion (as if it wasn't obvious ;)). I do have a positive preference for women despite not knowing how to form relationships (and anyway being so used to it that I'd be content enough sticking to friendships... I just want to experience a deep friendship again!!)... but I also feel an active discomfort about being perceived as heterosexual. It kinda reminds me of "Stone Butch Blues", when Jess decides to transition... they say that they would be a man only to the society, and between them they would still be a good old butch. (And I wouldn't want to say that i don't understand it - stone butches of that time were living under so extreme pressure that I could never criticise such a choice to transition. It's kinda similar to "transgender" people of Iran - most of them are really gays and lesbians who choose transition to a gender they don't identify with over death.) And yet their partner, Theresa, says that it cost her a lot to become a politically conscious lesbian and she simply doesn't feel able to abandon it.

• Like 2

Nope. If it was from now it would be really uncomfortable to suddenly start feeling sexual attraction despite being sex adverse. If it was from the beginning of my life it would change such a significant amount of my past that I feel like it wouldn’t be me, I’ve had a lot of important realisations in my life as a result of stuff I’ve encountered whilst discovering my Asexuality, so to lose my Asexuality would not only lose me a constant from my life, but also all of the experiences I’ve had with the community.

• Like 3

I don't think I would change my sexuality. The process of finding out you are asexual can be so hard growing up but its so rewarding when you finally know for sure. 

2 hours ago, BeautifulLights said:

Am I the only one here who 100% would jump at the chance? I would love to actually experience desire and attraction. I would love to not have to constantly fear that I'll never find a partner who is willing to put up with my waxing and waning - but mostly waning - interest in sex.

I would change in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2

I would, for sure.

I'm less torn up about it as I was ten years ago, but still would definitely change in a heartbeat.

The bigger issue for me is demiromanticism.  While I'd still change it if I could, I think I'm probably ok not feeling sexual attraction, since I don't mind sex, I just don't desire it.  But not being able to easily feel close to people is tough.  I do feel like I'm missing out there.  Sex is a momentary high; a deep caring bond with someone is another altogether.  It doesn't compare.

• Like 1