Question about sawdust

SorryNotSorry

SorryNotSorry

One thing about woodworking is that it generates a lot of sawdust.

ย 

Mechanics like to have a container of sawdust on hand to manage accidental oil spills and leaks. But I wonder if sawdust can be made odorless and more absorbent if steam is streamed through it, to extract the rosin and volatile matter? Are there sacks of commercial absorbents which use this process?

No way, man. This idea is never going to fly. It's crazy!

I don't know and I don't feel like finding out.

I like how sawdust smells so my vote is to leave it alone!

Are there not any hobbyist forums where you can ask this question to a more suitable audience? Woodworking has a pretty dedicated following of hobbyists who are happy to talk about it.

IMO, sawdust exists to utilize it's high surface area when thrown and make fire balls.

ย 

I don't see why your idea couldn't work, but I can't imagine it being more efficient than standard sawdust either.ย 

dhjunglejape
2 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

One thing about woodworking is that it generates a lot of sawdust.

ย 

Mechanics like to have a container of sawdust on hand to manage accidental oil spills and leaks. But I wonder if sawdust can be made odorless and more absorbent if steam is streamed through it, to extract the rosin and volatile matter? Are there sacks of commercial absorbents which use this process?

I'm admittedly not educated on this. However, the process seems sound enough. The heat transfer would definitely extract the rosin but I'm unsure about other volatile matter (would it be reactive to steam as a means of extraction?). If the process was successful, then steam would be/is a very efficient means. With regard to other commercial absorbents (again I'm not learned on the subject) I would think it would depend heavily on the material of the absorbent and if such is the case would be a targeted market.ย 

ย 

I have done oil spill responses through my job, and in my limited experience (and very little technical knowhow) the most effective means I have observed are those using oleophilic technology. Granted the dynamicsย ofย oil spills in my field are different than your example of an accidentalย mechanic spill/leak, and we absolutely use absorbents but they aren't always the best or most efficient means.ย 

ย 

None of this really speaks to your question though and I'm afraid I cannot answer or add anything useful. It may be that specific research into various manufacturer processes would be the way to find an answer.ย ย 

ย 

Another thing specifically on your example of accidental spills/leaks during mechanical work is is it essential for all this volatile stuff to be removed because as soon as the oil is absorbed into the sawdust, technically it becomes hazardous anyway and should be disposed off accordingly.ย 

what the face

Question about Toxic sludge

ย 

Sounds like using sawdust on chemical spills creates a mixed chemicalย sludge,

that may be some-ways easier to tidy out of your work space but

May be more of a toxic burden for the local (or dump) environments?

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Anthracite_Impreza

Why would you want to remove the smell? It smells lovely.

SorryNotSorry
1 hour ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Why would you want to remove the smell? It smells lovely.

Ah, no... freshly cut poplar stinks like burning rubber.

47 minutes ago, Woodworker1968 said:

Ah, no... freshly cut poplar stinks like burning rubber.

If it smells so bad, why is it popular? ๐Ÿฅ

Wood can be melted down and processed into textile fibers, e.g. tencel. It can be fractioned like fossil fuel, separating cellulose fibers from resin, oils and gaseous constituents. Probably isn't cost effective to use the fiber as absorbent though, as the separate fibers can be better used for semi environmentally friendly polymers/plastics. Also, the presence of oils in plain sawdust probably improves it's capacity to absorb greasy substances.

Duke Memphis

I love the smell of sawdust. If there isn't already one, I think someone should make sawdust-scented candles.

2 minutes ago, Duke Memphis said:

I love the smell of sawdust. If there isn't already one, I think someone should make sawdust-scented candles.

I'm sure there is, and I'm sure it's marketed in an ultra-manly way.

8 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

I'm sure there is, and I'm sure it's marketed in an ultra-manly way.

Just searched "sawdust candle" for kicks, and hoo boy.

5 minutes ago, SocialMorays said:

How predictable.

Anthracite_Impreza
8 minutes ago, SocialMorays said:

But just imagine all the other manly scents! Have a candle made of petrol and grease and you could light up your entire house within ten minutes!

Duke Memphis
1 hour ago, SocialMorays said:

I NEED THIS. I didn't know that this existed until just now, bit I DEFINITELY NEED THIS.

Archived